Another honey fraud article

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree the government should address deceitful practice in the Food industry and what is labelled as honey should be honey, but this takes resources. Our border control points for food are not massively well resourced and focus on samples of high risk food. So when food is shipped into our (Chinese owned) ports its is unlikely to be sampled in any detailed way. Likewise local authority trading standards and env health face shrinking budgets and less staff and are limited by how much sampling they can do so focus on hygiene and allergens. We have become a nation that expects the world to feed us cheaply and this results in trade deals that favour cheap imports, consumer apathy and damage to UK producers.

Huge amounts of South American chicken is imported and used in hospitality industry, vast amounts of Veg oil produced at a cost our growers cannot match has replaced domestic production (since neonic ban) grown in countries without as much regulation, and fruit and veg is flown in from Kenya cheaper than it could be grown in UK. All this happens at the detriment of UK producers in far more economically significant sectors than honey. Consumers want cheap food, supermarkets want to dominate the market and the govt is on thier side.
, not the small number of UK producers. Most consumers know 90p honey is likley not proprr honey but many choose to buy it any way and these are not the customers who would buy our honey. Shouting for more regulation in honey could also backfire!

You make a good point and I retract my previous thought that this matter is not political other than involving political inertia or laziness.
But I do think the Government has an obligation to at least try to sort out deceitful practices in the food industry regardless of its effect upon public expenditure.

Honey is not simply diluted with syrup. It is sometimes not even honey as we define it, having been harvested as nectar and dried artificially. There are also substances that are used with bees in some countries that would not be permitted elsewhere. There are records of honey having had added to it a chemical compound that is also used in suncream. Under analysis its presence simulates the chemical formulation of manuka honey, and in general, the more concentrated the amount of that chemical, the more valuable the honey. So there are some actual health concerns.

I am being cynical in stating that the Government does not consider there to be an issue with adulterated honey.....I assume that to be just what it wants us to believe.
This 'governments' default setting is deceit.
JRM is on the record as saying
"Standards that are good enough for India ought to be more than good enough for this country"
Expect nothing from this shower in power !

This 'governments' default setting is deceit.
Sorry but I have to challenge that remark.
I trusted Boris and still trust him. see Note 1
Grant Shapps is eloquent on how we will meet Net Zero.. I believe every word he says. see Note 2

Note 1 . to lie when he speaks.
Note 2. He is eloquent and I believe his plans are utter excrement.

"One-third (35%) of the UK population reported that they trust their national government, lower than the average across the OECD countries (41%). Half (49%) of the UK population said they did not trust the national government. June 2022 .

The latest 2023 figure for trust is c 22%

"One-third (35%) of the UK population reported that they trust their national government, lower than the average across the OECD countries (41%). Half (49%) of the UK population said they did not trust the national government. June 2022 .

That leaves two thirds living like a third world country. See post 24.

Since the entire economic situation at the moment is apparently our fault, any time soon they'll start rounding up everyone between the ages of 50 and statutory retirement age who isn't working to be sent off to "re-education camps".

James

Reposted james's link after he did

Sorry but I have to challenge that remark.
I trusted Boris and still trust him. see Note 1
Grant Shapps is eloquent on how we will meet Net Zero.. I believe every word he says. see Note 2

Note 1 . to lie when he speaks.
Note 2. He is eloquent and I believe his plans are utter excrement.

The biggest threat this country faces is it's own government.

Thanks for that, slinging some rope up in the barn now.
Bye..... ;)
We need to be abit more French in this matter ?
Definitely. But as you will know, the Government is gradually suggesting tighter controls on the protesting public so as to protect the public who are protesting. :)

Last edited:
Since the entire economic situation at the moment is apparently our fault, any time soon they'll start rounding up everyone between the ages of 50 and statutory retirement age who isn't working to be sent off to "re-education camps".

James
I’ll be going into hiding then!

Latest posts

Back