Another honey fraud article

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me laugh..... All UK honey failed....well! Ten jars which may have been blended with honey from other countries! That isn't UK honey!

So before even mentioning supermarkets......
The double edged sword gets swung - has everyone ensured all that winter feed has gone before putting a super on?.
I do, right faff at times though.
so do I, and agree with Dodge. But if there’s a lot of stores left, they can be used for nucs. Means it’s worth leaving enough honey on for winter stores - and saves buying sugar! For the last two years I haven’t fed sugar syrup, makes spring a lot easier when I haven’t had to sort out frames with syrup in.

Makes me laugh..... All UK honey failed....well! Ten jars which may have been blended with honey from other countries! That isn't UK honey!
First par of article:
'Ten honey samples from the UK all failed the tests. They may have been blended or packaged in Britain, but the honey probably originated overseas.'

I think it is relevant that this 'honey' is sold in the UK. It's a comment on our control of imports.

First par of article:
'Ten honey samples from the UK all failed the tests. They may have been blended or packaged in Britain, but the honey probably originated overseas.'

I think it is relevant that this 'honey' is sold in the UK. It's a comment on our control of imports.
Also a comment on no one reading what's in their food or where it comes from.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/somosagro/ganaderia/2023/03/23/xx/00031679584843819454389.htmThere seems to be an explanation in this article. And it is that the United Kingdom has become the gateway to the EU through that post-Brexit agreement by which Northern Ireland is the UK with EU regulations.
What is relevant is that although they know that the problem exists and is real, our politicians are not willing to face it. Will something change or will a beekeeper have to arrive at gate 10 DS?

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for before signing petitons/wearing ribbons/climbing on public buildings/singing kumbaya or whatever.
Tightening regulations for the big operations could work its way down and eventually even wipe out garden gate sales.
As an example ,as a landlord I know that when the current TA expires I won't be able to renew because there's no way I will meet the proposed Epc requirements which have been slowly closing in.
Luckily it then becomes our retirement den but I'd be in big trouble otherwise.

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for before signing petitons/wearing ribbons/climbing on public buildings/singing kumbaya or whatever.
Tightening regulations for the big operations could work its way down and eventually even wipe out garden gate sales.
As an example ,as a landlord I know that when the current TA expires I won't be able to renew because there's no way I will meet the proposed Epc requirements which have been slowly closing in.
Luckily it then becomes our retirement den but I'd be in big trouble otherwise.

Seeing as the UK Government considers that it would be disproportionately onerous to expect commercial honey-packers to change the wording of their labels to itemise the exact countries from which that honey has been sourced, it seems unlikely that there is any any consequential legislation that will have an impact on amateur beekeepers. For some reason, the Government is confident that the honey-syrup is not harmful to health, so the fact that the consumer is being defrauded is of no consequence to them. :(

Has anyone here tried putting a food dye in the syrup they feed the bees in the spring? That should ensure the syrup doesn't pollute the crop.

But how do you ensure it?

As far as I'm aware, in Spring, people will often remove frames from the brood-box that they consider to be surplus to the bees' needs. But even if sugary frames were left in, would the bees move it to make space?
If bees were in the habit of moving capped stores to somewhere above them and then recapping as honey, although contaminaton would occur as previously suggested, beekeeping would possibly involve fewer issues with restricted brood-nests.

That's interesting...thankyou. So there could be a problem! I thought that only happened when you scratch the cappings or put the honey where the bees won't tolerate it, such as under or in front of the brood. Is that not the case?

For some reason, the Government is confident that the honey-syrup is not harmful to health, so the fact that the consumer is being defrauded is of no consequence to them. :(
Exactly sugar syrup is not harmful or offensive (unlike eating horse is to many) and most significantly does not affect the treasury. There is no duty being dodged like there is with dodgy cigarettes and booze and our honey contributes zero VAT to the govt (and most beekeepers operate under the tax radar I would guess). I am not sure but does imported honey attract a tariff/duty? so may contribute to the treasury. Do we really expect the govt to introduce legislation and resource enforcement for no net gain in revenue or change in public safety.

Exactly sugar syrup is not harmful or offensive (unlike eating horse is to many) and most significantly does not affect the treasury. There is no duty being dodged like there is with dodgy cigarettes and booze and our honey contributes zero VAT to the govt (and most beekeepers operate under the tax radar I would guess). I am not sure but does imported honey attract a tariff/duty? so may contribute to the treasury. Do we really expect the govt to introduce legislation and resource enforcement for no net gain in revenue or change in public safety.

You make a good point and I retract my previous thought that this matter is not political other than involving political inertia or laziness.
But I do think the Government has an obligation to at least try to sort out deceitful practices in the food industry regardless of its effect upon public expenditure.

Honey is not simply diluted with syrup. It is sometimes not even honey as we define it, having been harvested as nectar and dried artificially. There are also substances that are used with bees in some countries that would not be permitted elsewhere. There are records of honey having had added to it a chemical compound that is also used in suncream. Under analysis its presence simulates the chemical formulation of manuka honey, and in general, the more concentrated the amount of that chemical, the more valuable the honey. So there are some actual health concerns.

I am being cynical in stating that the Government does not consider there to be an issue with adulterated honey.....I assume that to be just what it wants us to believe.

Latest posts

Back