Raw honey could help reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels, study finds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, I've seen beekeepers in the UK feeding their bees until June and starting again feeding in August having taken a crop of ... well ... what is it ? I hope there are no beekeepers in the UK that would deliberately do this in order to create a 'good crop' ... would I put it past some beefarmers in some parts of the world ? Probably not ...
I'm not talking about commercial beekeepers but hobby keepers ....I'm sure I have read that spot checks can reveal sucrose in the honey and this is often put down generously to the bees moving unused autumn feed around during the year

On a brighter note....my daughter sent me "Honeyland" for my birthday and it was a delight to watch the beekeeper

Indeed, I've seen beekeepers in the UK feeding their bees until June and starting again feeding in August having taken a crop of ... well ... what is it ? I hope there are no beekeepers in the UK that would deliberately do this in order to create a 'good crop' ... would I put it past some beefarmers in some parts of the world ? Probably not ...
I would call this product naturalized syrup or liquid caramel but this has nothing to do with honey and the reason is the number of small components that honey has and which this product lacks (no matter how many additives it contains) and that make of honey a local and unique product although with multiple possibilities.

You should do some consumer testing and ask your customers what they are looking for in honey they purchase from you ...

I did it a few years ago and the two words that were most used were raw and local .... It matters not what you perceive as advantageous marketing .. it is what your customers perceive and look for in a product that is important.

I was involved in sales and marketing throughout most of my working life - and loads of product launches. The worst selling products were always those where the marketing department decided what the consumer wanted and which got though to sales without any consumer testing. I can give you many examples of products that failed miserably during my time working at Faberge where the marketing department got lost in their own assessment and when they hit the shelves the customers didn't agree...

https://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/Faberge/Turbo_After_Shave
They tested this one on MEN ... got very favourable results ... but failed to recognise that the vast majority of men's fragrance, at the time, were purchase by WOMEN for men ... when they finally got round to consumer testing on women - they found that their perception of the product was 'that it had connotations of motor oil and dirty hands'. The packaging was seen as dull and too masculine. Didn't last long ...discontinued and sold off at ridiculous prices ...

FIrst rule of marketing = don't fall into the trap of thinking you know what your customer is seeking without actually asking them.
Is there a smell to sewing a button on for the hunter gatherer? (Ducks below parapet.)

Don't bees exhale CO2 when flying or creating heat to evaporate the water in the nectar Dani? 🤔
it seems that it doesn't matter to many - it's all about bullsh!tting the consumer

I've seen some beekeepers whose honey frankly looks more like Invertbee than anything that came out of a hive
funnily enough - I saw a bottle of 'maple syrup' marketed by hilltop honey (remember them) in Tresco's the other day, looked at the ingredients and it was mostly invert syrup with a dash of 'pure canadian maple syrup'

funnily enough - I saw a bottle of 'maple syrup' marketed by hilltop honey (remember them) in Tresco's the other day, looked at the ingredients and it was mostly invert syrup with a dash of 'pure canadian maple syrup'
Lol…..at least they put it on the label though.

Lol…..at least they put it on the label though.
Yes , at least they are being more honest than the bulk honey producers.
I did notice that since Brexit packers are having to put the country origin of on their labels.
I notice the Sainsbury’s cheapo honey (Hubbards) is actually labelled as coming from China.

back to the original post ... wish I hadnt used the word "raw" in the subject line (lifted from the article without thought!) and should have gone with the subject of the paper

'Effect of honey on cardiometabolic risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis'

Read the article. As our direct use of sugar is minimal except for cooking apples and crumbles, it will make no difference to family health .

Latest posts

Back