How much to charge for honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a car boot sale last week, and took some 8oz jars and some cut comb - sold well £3.50 for 8oz jar. Funny that they haggled over price of everything else, except the honey!

One lady bought a jar to try, and came back an hour later for two more

honey

What is honey?
I havent got any! it seems to be as rare as ************ round here.

Dave W

Dave W. Sorry you got no honey. Didn't think I would have any either but the girls did manage a little in the end. Feel for you.

I was originally thinking that no honey would be a bit sad but no bees would be absolutely awful. Fingers crossed the bees overwinter well. Looking forward to spring already. Chin up!

There is something funny going on. The deli I sell to @£4 is charging £7.50 and someone just offered me £11 a pound for 50 pounds. Perhaps they are reselling my honey to purveyors of fine food in Piccadilly.

I bought jars from the association.
I don't have any paperwork whatsoever.

The problem comes if you sell honey with bits of broken glass in it.
An invoice saying where you bought the jar from is not going to help at that point.

Solution is not to use any jar that is in any way chipped, cracked or even scratched, so that no glass fragments can occur.
A 100% visual inspection test before filling. And noted on the batch filling record.
Which is going to be better QA than in any automated plant. :D

Sort of off topic - sorry, but

Could not agree more but the real issue with reusing jars isn't the risk of physical contamination but the less detectable risk due to chemical or biological contamination. We do not know what that used jar has had in it after the honey was consumed. Rat poison ? Weed killer ?...........

Only this year I have had a lady customer tell me how useful my empty jars are, especially for taking her samples to the doctors !!!

I will be selling or giving away to freinds some honey this year. Has anyone ever though about giving some sort of factsheet flyer away with the jars as well saying wher ethe honey has come from, general advice about bees etc etc to promote the hobby? I have but would welcome oters thoughts

I will be selling or giving away to freinds some honey this year. Has anyone ever though about giving some sort of factsheet flyer away with the jars as well saying wher ethe honey has come from, general advice about bees etc etc to promote the hobby? I have but would welcome oters thoughts

nice idea, could contain something about how many flights/miles bees have flown to produce the amount in the jar - those sort of figures always amaze people when I tell them.

Oh and don't forget to tell them it's bee sick and the bees that made it are now dead - just to cheer them up like :biggrinjester:

nice idea, could contain something about how many flights/miles bees have flown to produce the amount in the jar - those sort of figures always amaze people when I tell them.

Oh and don't forget to tell them it's bee sick and the bees that made it are now dead - just to cheer them up like :biggrinjester:

What about a line of "You could plant such and such to help the bees" as well?

Been in a Pick 'N' Mix vegetable shop .Local honey on the shelves @£3.95 per LB jar . Only a Mile from me :( Ho! Hum! thought my sales were flagging a tad !
VM

Been in a Pick 'N' Mix vegetable shop .Local honey on the shelves @£3.95 per LB jar . Only a Mile from me :( Ho! Hum! thought my sales were flagging a tad !
VM

How much must the beek be selling it to the shop for?
Shame on them

It's a fact of life so get used to it, some one will near always undercut "in case I can't sell my honey" which invariably will have the following:

A bog standard label with a stamped address on it, smudged.

The jar will be sticky.

The honey will be slowly granulating in an unpleasant manner.

The honey will be less than clean.

The jar will be a bog standard squat one lb.

*shudders*

PH

£3.50 12oz Oct jar
£4.50 12oz oct jar heather

Latest posts

Back