How much to charge for honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, you are selling far too cheap. I know it is a hobby and not a busines model but as said before your time and effort as well as the jars, extraction, labels etc it all adds up. In bulk form we sell at £2.80 a lb! £5 a lb seems to going rate for most places but I cant seem to get it around here hence the bulk sales.

I have just spent about £60 on sugar. This year I collected about 30lb of honey. £2.50 a jar would hardly cover the cost of sugar alone. Mine will sell at £5 per 1lb jar, and even that will be nowhere near my costs this year.

At last weekend's Birmingham honey show we were charging £5.00 a pound, £2.75 a half pound. Over the two days several hundred jars were sold, not sure of exact figure, but there were many people who bought 3 or 4 jars. No-one complained about the price.

12oz hex jars, soft set £4, runny £5

The best one I've seen was this site back in 2008 which was selling local OSR for £70 (they've since tempered it down to £12). The actual honey farmer who produced it had no idea, he normally sells at around £3.50!

http://web.archive.org/web/20081204111030/http://www.cutcombhoney.co.uk/honey-in-jars.html

I don't know much about these things, but my internet security identified a trojan on the above link. Its quarantined now, hope my computer is safe!

i think £5 is fair remember jar + label (which by law is to be on the jar if you sell the time and the hassle.
And dont forget the bees if you do some easy example what bees need to do just to make one teaspoon of honey people would pay top price (i think you have seen cheap honey in the shop and think if you sell it at top dollar you will have loads left WRONG local pure Gold
some trivia for you
= It would take 1 bee to fly around the world twice to make one teaspoon of honey
= A bee could visit upto 50 to 100 flowers in one trip before returning to the hive
= one bee produces 1/12 of a teaspoon in its life time
= a hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles 3x round world to make one pound of honey
= one ounce of honey will fuel one bee around the world
a honey bee flys upto 15mph 200 beats A SECOND 12,000 A MINUTE

I WOULD PAY £10 a pound knowing what i know what it takes the bees to to collect the stuff
:drool5::drool5::drool5:thanks god i have my own work force of honey bees:drool5::drool5::drool5:
=

I don't know much about these things, but my internet security identified a trojan on the above link. Its quarantined now, hope my computer is safe!

You should report it with details so that Admin can have a look at it.

We sell our honey over the gate for £7 a 1 lb jar and £2.50 for a 4 oz jar. We get about 30 lb from one hive but have not had anything from the second hive due to losses, drone laying queens, swarms, colony deaths.

A rough idea of a hobbyists costs are:

BBKA/local membership and insurance: £40
Hive (allowing a life of 10 years): £45
Bees (allowing a life of 5 years): £50
Clothing (allowing a life of 5 years); £30
Honey packaging (for 30lb a year): £20
Disposables (sugar, medication, etc): £30
Travelling (to local meetings, etc): £50
total approx £265

Given the amount we eat ourselves or give away to friends, I reckon beekeeping costs me a couple of hundred quid a year which I do not think is bad money for a hobby at all!;)

I'd be surprised Suzi - I've used web.archive.org quite a lot and its never caused any problems - my internet security gives this particular page a clean bill of health.

Can you tell me which product did the identification, and was it identified with a particular name?

Anyone else had their security software report anything?

M Abeille, I use Kaspersky, and the detected threat was a trojan HEUR. Means nothing to me! So would appreciate some more info.

If I can remember rightly, it wasn't the first page, but when i clicked on a 'cut comb honey for sale' box

Last edited:
The most expensive honey I saw today in the supermarket, was 17 euros a kilo

Latest posts

Back