How much to charge for honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£3.50 12oz Oct jar
£4.50 12oz oct jar heather

only 2kg per hive ?
Sugar to feed them over winter will cost at least £635 + collection + cost to make up ?

Hex jars + cost of lid + cost of labels to conform to Trading Standards... cost of transport to outlet ( and cost of discount to retailer unless selling yourself)

£3.50 a 12 oz hex jar ? not sustainable from an accountancy viewpoint unless whole operation was scale up by a factor of 100.......

Any thoughts ?

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Don’t understand what the 2kg per hive represents?

Why assume the hives need feeding and how do you calculate £635 if they do.

Hexagonal jar and lid 30p and perfectly good label from a reasonable printer a few more pence.

With an efficient system of extraction and perhaps a god bit of honey to extract from 19 hives and move on its perhaps the right price and a profitable one to.

Wait until next year :) You'll find yourself thinking "God all this damned honey handling is hard work" I think I'll take up Queen rearing :leaving:.

John Wilkinson

:iagree:

But with all the beekeepers giving up the hobby because this year being so terrible and having costed it out , think that breeding Budgies is the way to go............ who will you sell your queens to ?

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

i hadnt much but any i was selling is,
8oz cut comb £4.00,
half pound jars of blossom honey £4.00
half pound jars of heather honey £5.50.
and getting the money for it all no problem.
Darren

£4.00 12oz Hex jar

Bit of thread drift here, but we went to Costco at the weekend and saw 1.36Kg of Rowse set honey for £4.99 and 1.36Kg of blossom honey for £5.39.
That works out at £1.66 and £1.76 per pound.
Does anyone know where they get theirs from. To buy it, add air/ship miles to it, process it and still make a profit at those prices is mind boggleing.

All the lidl or costco honey is marked 'product of many countries'. No doubt it is honey but it's been heated so much in proccessing that it's lost all it's flavour and just tastes like treacle.

Darren

If that's a photo of you, you can die a happy man!

richard

All the lidl or costco honey is marked 'product of many countries'. No doubt it is honey but it's been heated so much in proccessing that it's lost all it's flavour and just tastes like treacle.

Darren

If that's a photo of you, you can die a happy man!

richard

yea thats me Richard,me and my mate drove 3 hours a few mondays ago,fished the monday morning and had a bass each just under the 10pound mark and by then the wind had dropped away till nothing so we drove home again,both fished were released safe and well,
last year we had 24 fish bass between us for a days fishing,all lure caught and again all released.
the copper coast in Co Waterford is truely amazing.
Darren

Oops meant to add that we get £5 for a 340 gram hex jar.

Blame Africanised bees

All the lidl or costco honey is marked 'product of many countries'.

I am told that the increasing numbers of Africanised bees means that a very large amount of "wild" honey can now only be harvested by professional collectors who can afford the heavy duty gear necessary to deal with them.

So rather than being consumed locally this honey is now making it's way onto the world market.

Brazil being a case in point

http://www2.anba.com.br/noticia_agronegocios.kmf?cod=12863247

Sounds plausible, but I cannot swear to it.

Latest posts

Back