How much to charge for honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£ 5.00 per lb and I think thats to cheap.

£4.50 a lb here in Sunny Kent.
With incentive of 25p off next purchase if the Jar is returned.
Everyone likes something for 'free' and it helps customers to remember where the honey came from.

£4.50 a lb here in Sunny Kent.
With incentive of 25p off next purchase if the Jar is returned.
Everyone likes something for 'free' and it helps customers to remember where the honey came from.
On the face of it, a good idea to get customers to return. But outside the rules to reuse the usually supplied jars. Effectively, because the jars are not designed for reuse then selling honey in re-used jars would be pulled up by trading standards even if you use new lids (because the seals will deteriorate). Nothing to stop you refilling jars for yourself, but not legal to sell them.

we encourage return of jars by similar discount and the jars are re used for 'family' use rather than re sale. It works well.

M Abeille, I use Kaspersky, and the detected threat was a trojan HEUR. Means nothing to me! So would appreciate some more info.

If I can remember rightly, it wasn't the first page, but when i clicked on a 'cut comb honey for sale' box

Kaspersky is certainly one off the better detectors, I don't remember looking at that page. Rather than the archive site at fault then it is likely the original cached copy has this threat built in. Hopefully Admin or Hivemaker will remove the link

i only got 22lb but it is my 1st year anyway i sold it all in 3 days at £3.49 for 12ounce

M Abeille, I use Kaspersky, and the detected threat was a trojan HEUR. Means nothing to me! So would appreciate some more info.

If I can remember rightly, it wasn't the first page, but when i clicked on a 'cut comb honey for sale' box

Googling for "trojan HEUR" produced the following link http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=218638.
There were others that could also provide a clue how to deal with it, assuming Micrsoft don't already provide a security update automatically. Another one to deal with it could be AVG or even Piriforms "CrapCleaner". If it doesn't cause problems just ignore the warning as being a foible of the software in the site that identified it as some trojans are benign.
Another link that could provide a solution is http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/other_w32_heuristic.shtml - found on the same Google page.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Arfemo, the link for Kaspersky forum, I think was a different type of trojan, win 32, the trojan detected by Kaspersky on my computer was a trojan HEUR. script. generic. I don't think it has caused problems, my computer is just the same, wallpaper, speed, etc, I've done a critical areas scan, and a full scan. Kaspersky says it is in quarantine, so hopefully its sorted!

Regarding the jar return incentive, regardless of re-use for family only; assuming said family will return as well, sooner than later returned jars will stockpile. I donate these jars to jam makers.

Just an unnecessary regulation from TS.

On the face of it, a good idea to get customers to return. But outside the rules to reuse the usually supplied jars. Effectively, because the jars are not designed for reuse then selling honey in re-used jars would be pulled up by trading standards even if you use new lids (because the seals will deteriorate). Nothing to stop you refilling jars for yourself, but not legal to sell them.

Was at a talk by trading standards and EHO officers recently and this matter was raised. Both were a trifle nonplussed by this, couldn't think of legislation that stated this and said they could see no reason not to reuse jars as long as they were sterilised again and new lids were used.

Does anyone have link to legislation that states jars should not be reused??

Just found this on a somerset beekeeping web site

Following a rumour that glass cannot be re-used for honey Stewart sent an email to the Food Standards Agency on January 26th and received the following reply, which confirms absolutely that jars may not be re-used if the product they contain is to be sold.
The reply reads “I am sorry, but unfortunately the legislation with regards food contact materials will preclude the reuse of glass honey jars for any commercial food use, even following stringent cleaning. A commercial honey producer is legally obliged to ensure their jars are fully compliant with legislation, and have an overriding requirement under the Food Safety Act to ensure the food they provide is safe.
Any packaging used must be compliant with the European regulations (principally Article 3 of Regulation 1935/2004) which set out the safety criteria for food packaging. Though it can be assumed that originally the jars met these criteria, as they were fit to sell at the retail level, once sold and their constituent food has been consumed, the required chain of documentation which shows they are compliant is broken. Thus it would be impossible to demonstrate to the relevant authorities that the reused jars were compliant, unless the jars were knowingly manufactured to be reused, and within 2 a closed loop distribution system like milk bottles. However, only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.

Never heard of it but I have tried the patience of my local experts so can some one ask theirs for a definition as opposed to an opinion?

Mine were more than happy to oblige on the matter of over filling.

PH

Just found this on a somerset beekeeping web site

Following a rumour that glass cannot be re-used for honey Stewart sent an email to the Food Standards Agency on January 26th and received the following reply, which confirms absolutely that jars may not be re-used if the product they contain is to be sold.
The reply reads “... Thus it would be impossible to demonstrate to the relevant authorities that the reused jars were compliant ...
However, only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.

Now, I'm not sure I can think of any potential offence in the UK where it is up to the accused to demonstrate his innocence.
Innocence is presumed until guilt is proven - thus I do rather feel that, in Court, it would be up to "the relevant authorities" to prove that any specific jars were not compliant.

/ Since any beekeeper hand-filling jars ought to be able to spot cracked or chipped jars (and recycle them appropriately) -- I think it would be unlikely that any defective jars would go out again to reveal that eco-friendly reuse of standardised containers (like milk bottles) was actually going on, and thus the practise should not arouse the attention of the "relevant authorities". .

Last edited:
Just posting what I found

Try a google search and have a look for yourself what I posted seems to be the standard reply from the FSA

The info posted above by VEG on the prohibition of reuse is more or less word for word what was published in a recent bbka news.

Just posting what I found

Try a google search and have a look for yourself what I posted seems to be the standard reply from the FSA

Not doubting you at all -- it just seems to me to be a standardised bit of twaddle that they are churning out.

I wouldn't expect them to give a go-ahead to re-use jars (way too general, way to open to difficulty), but if a jar is indistinguishable from new, then its, errr, indistinguishable from new?

Latest posts

Back