Grammar pet hate: the rogue apostrophe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's BEES

BEES BEES BEES. Almost never bee's. Unless you're talking about something that belongs to a single bee.

BEES I tell you. BEES

Ahhh, that feels better.

[Yes, realise I'm a grammar snob which is why I'm venting here, where almost nobody will read it, rather than the main forum]

That's a bee'stly thing to say

My plea's for correct use of apostrophes' are clearly falling on deaf ear's.

Think you should have written:

"....I'm a grammar snob, which is why........"

Or:

"....I'm a grammar snob - which is why........"

Or:

"....I'm a grammar snob; which is why........"

Dusty.

It's BEES

BEES BEES BEES. Almost never bee's. Unless you're talking about something that belongs to a single bee.

BEES I tell you. BEES

Ahhh, that feels better.

[Yes, realise I'm a grammar snob which is why I'm venting here, where almost nobody will read it, rather than the main forum]

The panda eats shoots and leaves.

The panda eats, shoots and leaves.

Incredible power in a comma ....

Commas shmommas. Who cares what's happening down there (I'm a selective grammar snob).

It's the cheeky apostrophes buzzing around above our bees that need to be shot down before they do some serious damage.

He went off with his wife.

So whose wife did he go off with?
Ours is a very simple language, but only understood by a few!

Bees' knees...............Bees knees...........Bee's knees.......... all are correct in the correct context!

Sainsbury's is an example of an apostrophe left dangling - in mid air so to speak.. :facts:

So you have a punctuation peeve not a grammar one then.

How I hate punctuation!
I can never get the wheel nuts undone.

I agree about spare apostrophes- apart from for greengrocers, where they are part of our cultural heritage.

..and just when I was feeling a bit glum with my very poorly dog having to overnight in the vet,s - this thread cheer's me up.

Cheer,s'

I',m loving it too. I'm coming over all fuddy duddy. 'Should of' instead of 'should have' is the one that makes me wriggle the most.

Latest posts

Back