tropical beekeeping advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

My wife and I are very new to beekeeping. So new, in fact, that we haven’t actually bought any bees yet. Earlier this year we spent a lovely afternoon with Jordan of Humble Bees just to the west of Durham City in his apiary on a little farm full of wild flower meadows. We live nearby on the County Durham coast.

The reason we haven’t bought any bees yet is that it will be my wife who will be the beekeeper, but the plan is to help her family and their rather poor community on the island of Biliran, in the Philippines. We have been married for thirty years and our four children are adults now so she has taken the opportunity to help her family by establishing a nursery and apiary in her old home village, on land that we bought some time ago. The surrounding land is jungle with coconut palms and mango banana and numerous other fruits and plants. These provide bee forage all year and the rainy season is around September and October. The Philippines is hit by about six typhoons a year and the world heard about “Yolanda” in 2013 which devastated nearby Bacolod City before ripping through the other Visayan islands.

Wild bee nest robbing is still widespread there. The bees create their nests in tree tops often fifty feet or more high and the young men and boys free climb the trees to ransack them, frequently with tragic consequences. Beekeeping was introduced by the American colonists in the very early 1900s. They brought in hives that were designed by the Rev Langstroth along with the italianised Apis millifera honey bees. There are, of course several native honeybees, the Apis cerana being the main one. This species is widespread in Asia and is renowned for its aggressiveness and tendency to abscond. It is only half the size of the millifera and produces less honey. There are also several species of the tiny ant sized stingless bees. They only produced a tiny amount of honey but are excellent propagators and their propolis is highly valued. There is also the Apis dorsata (the giant honey bee) much bigger than the millifera, but I understand that it doesn’t take kindly to being kept in a hive.

We have bought three long Langstroth hives and shipped them out but I am not sure that they are appropriate for a tropical climate. There is no winter to lay in stores of honey for apart from the fairly brief rainy season. Insulated hives might be appropriate to protect the bees from the heat rather than the cold. Because the cerana hate being disturbed and are aggressive, I was thinking that a horizontal hive might be appropriate. All of my information has been obtained from United Nations and American Peace Corps sources, online. My wife tells me that all information in the Philippines is monetised so their few forums are unhelpful. (Although I am familiar with the Philippines, I don’t speak or read any of the languages. My wife speaks three of them, including English) All knowledge has a cash value so the free exchange of assistance and advice that is the norm on this forum, is unheard of, there.

In her own way, my wife has been funding and encouraging her family to plant appropriate plants and trees. Illegal logging has caused problems on the island and has had an adverse effect on the bees. My in-laws and their neighbours have a “scratch and feed” life according to my wife. We would like to help them create very low cost hives without damaging their environment. Perhaps by re-using waste compressed cardboard which would be free, fairly lightweight and insulating. We are aware of Kenyan long hives and the use of mud and also the modified Leyans hives of the late Fedor Lazutin. My wife favours natural beekeeping with no chemicals or artificial foundation. She may be trying Top Bar too. Many of the people are off-grid so a fruit press will be used, being multi purpose and low cost and more appropriate.

Every one of you reading this has more practical knowledge of beekeeping than me, so any thoughts, experience of beekeeping in those areas or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
ian fletcher

I'm sorry to say but In general, investing in Langstroths for a less advantaged community is seldom successful as it's not a very sustainable system - you also have to think about processing which means you need mechanical extractors (more cost) and also frames and ancillaries will need regular replacement (and dealers always sell at a premium - as well as transportation to consider)
Haven't much experience of ceranae I'm afraid as all the projects I've managed have been in sub saharan Africa but I would say that simple rudimentary hives (such at horizontal top bars) are usually a good idea.
As for stingless bees - they are now big business in Tanzania, sustainable, low cost with very little equipment needed and although yield is usually only a few litres a month the honey sells at a premium.

First port of call for info is

http://ntfp.org/

Who are like Bees for Development, but BfD is mainly African oriented where ntfp cover the Philippines.

I use Kenyan Top Bar Hives (and Warres) and TBHs would probably work well there, but I've never been there... I think you really need local advice.

Interesting factoids: just as our European bees got varroa from A cerana, they got wax moths from A mellifera. And there is some kind of sterility issue when our drones breed with A cerana, resulting in A cerana colonies failing (mentioned by a Japanese beek but I couldn't get the specifics). And A cerana's wax is different, more crumbly or something.

my information has been obtained from United Nations and American Peace Corps sources, online.
Aim to speak to Philippino beekeepers face-to-face and beware generic online info. A quick random search (bath water going cold) produced:

The Potential and Problems of Beekeeping in the Philippines
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0005772X.1969.11097235?journalCode=tbee20
A Guide to Beekeeping in the Philippines
https://www.apiservices.biz/en/arti...a-guide-to-beekeeping-in-the-philippines-2003
Starting a Business: Honey Bee & Honey Production
A Philippino pdf that's particularly useful as further down it has contacts for equipment suppliers and agri finance support.

This search is the tip of an iceberg and there's a mile of useful internet info. out there on Philippino beekeeping, and you must research more thoroughly before going further. The links above came from this google: beekeeping industry in the philippines

Attachments

• Starting-a-Business-Honey-Bee-_-Honey-Production (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
my wife who will be the beekeeper
Suggest that your wife commits to training in spring 2023, whether in the the UK or the Philippines, because practical experience will enable her to talk constructively to other beekeepers.

Begin by reading the Haynes Bee Manual, which is UK-centric, but you've go to start somewhwere, and that is the best beginner book.

https://durhambeekeepersuk.wordpress.com/the-apiary/http://da08.da.gov.ph/index.php/media-resources/da-news/2246-beekeeping-introduced-in-region-8The farmers were eager to know on how to get into dairy goat production and beekeeping:
DA Region 8 - Livestock development mission kicks off in Region 8
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KingEddiePureHoney/http://www.science.ph/full_story.ph...ustry-shows-potential-to-health-care-productshttps://www.philstar.com/region/2012/02/15/777407/leyte-town-starts-mass-production-honeyhttps://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=12.428446418648795,122.36319599999996&z=5

I've seen Japanese beekeepers using fine water spray to inspect Apis Ceranae instead of smoke, this is used to stop the bees from absconding.

Are you aware of the use of bait hives/swarm traps to ‘catch’ free bees?

The community can make these very easily out of any old scraps. Basically just a solid box about the size of a brood box, with some old comb inside and a few drops of swarm lure (lemongrass oil works as a swarm lure). Put an entrance hole in the box about the size of a 50p piece…you’ve got a swarm trap. If you make a few of these it’s very likely that you’ll attract ‘free’ colonies of bees. The swarm trap should be installed somewhere above head height that’s easily accessible…maybe in a tree or on the roof of a shed. It’ll need a removable lid so you can empty the bees into a hive when you catch them.

They really don't even need to be above head height. I had one just on a hive stand this year and a swarm arrived within two or three days of putting it out.

(When I say "hive stand" what I actually mean is some pieces of 4x2 spanning two 6" concrete blocks.)

James

They really don't even need to be above head height. I had one just on a hive stand this year and a swarm arrived within two or three days of putting it out.

(When I say "hive stand" what I actually mean is some pieces of 4x2 spanning two 6" concrete blocks.)

James
I've had mine on the ground, others on hive stands with open mesh floor, fully open and still get swarms. I think we need to stop this myth about darkness, considering some swarms taking up residence in barns hanging from the rafters and producing an environment for themselves.

Thank you, very much for your kind and helpful suggestions. I'll pass them on to today. She will certainly follow the advice about the bait hives because she always likes to save money.

fletch

I've had mine on the ground, others on hive stands with open mesh floor, fully open and still get swarms. I think we need to stop this myth about darkness, considering some swarms taking up residence in barns hanging from the rafters and producing an environment for themselves.
There’s plenty of recommendations on bait hives, you don’t have to follow them all and bees don’t always follow the rules. Its rather like fishing it’s entirely possible to catch with nothing but a hook, you will however increase your chances if you stick a worm on the end.

Latest posts

Back