Extremely aggressive bees. Help needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my colonies is from a captured swarm (this years and from an unknown source). I've dealt with aggressive colonies in the past and whilst it can be a bit unnerving I always manage to get the job done. But not this time.
I harvested honey from my other two colonies yesterday, nice and easy with no drama, however today going into the third colony I was attacked from the off, and the level of aggression was frightening. I had at least 3-4 bees continually stinging each glove and my veil was covered by so many I simply couldn't see well enough to work. What I did see was that there was brood well up into the second super and the amount of stores in the hive was relatively low for the time of year, maybe 30%. But that was a quick take as I had to retreat. It took me six visits to reassemble the hive and then half an hour to be free enough of attackers to get into the house.

Clearly the queen has to go but I'm not confident enough that I'll be able to get in there and find her, with the levels of aggression. And I'm concerned for the safety of family and neighbours, I live in an urban environment.
So what to do? I need to resolve this quickly?
Any good advice you can offer would be much appreciated

At this very moment I would be tempted to put it down to the weather not the bees' temperament - close, oppressive thundery weather always turns a colony into a boxful of psychopaths

At this very moment I would be tempted to put it down to the weather not the bees' temperament - close, oppressive thundery weather always turns a colony into a boxful of psychopaths
It was a beautiful, clear-sky, sunny day here. Something just doesn't feel right with them, I was under attack before I had my hive tool out of my pocket

Living in an urban area, concern for safety of others and wanting a quick resolution at this time of year only leaves one option as far as I can see unless you are able to move the hive to a remote site and deal with it next spring. Seal the hive tonight and then euthanise.

is this the only time they've been aggressive? or have they been a bunch of ba**ards from the word go?
Compared to my other two colonies they've been aggressive but not so much that I haven't been able to work through it. Today was something else though. I've been in this hobby for seven years now and this was by far the worst I've ever seen.

Any recommendations for how to terminate them?
Sadly there are plenty of ideas on the the web and in other places. An expedient way is with lots of soapy water (you can reuse the frames). Put a travel screen on the top box then the roof and leave them til evening. Then seal, tape up entrances and box joints. Use plenty of soapy water (you can look up how much) poured through the screen on the top.

Sadly there are plenty of ideas on the the web and in other places. An expedient way is with lots of soapy water (you can reuse the frames). Put a travel screen on the top box then the roof and leave them til evening. Then seal, tape up entrances and box joints. Use plenty of soapy water (you can look up how much) poured through the screen on the top.
Thanks. I was leaning towards that method. Hate to do it but I see no other option.

Soap and water needs contact and likely opening them up for a proper soaking.
Unless in a poly hive seal the front door close off any mesh floor. Pour a pint of petrol in the top, block the vent to keep fumes in and walk away.

Other than that leave well alone till spring with an early queen on order from a reputable early supplier. They should be available 1st week in April.

Oh but I do. Feed them. Leave them alone and see what spring brings.
Are they aggressive without opening them up? That’s the clincher.
They'll sting you if you get within a few feet of the hive, today was the first time they've attacked en mass. They've been inspected on a monthly basis and have been aggressive but not so much that they've been unmanageable, today they were extraordinarily so

Ultra aggressive on one occasion only does not merit killing them off in my book. Leave them alone and they will likely do no harm.
All of my colonies are pussy cats, but on last look, to give thymol, one was really nasty. In my early days I would have retreated, but I did the job.
As to Drones propagating bad genes, see how they go, and get in early next year before they start rearing many Drones. I have few Drones in my hives now.

The problem is not the aggression it is the danger to people other than the beekeeper. Case closed
I always have a litre bottle of ISOPROPANEL to hand . if you can get a travel screen on then they cant fly out at you. seal the front at night and pour it in through the travel screen. Whack the lid back on.

The problem is not the aggression it is the danger to people other than the beekeeper.
the problem is beekepers who, without getting anywhere near the full facts of the situation just jump in and call for the colony to be derstroyed.
Lazy beekeeping

Latest posts

Back