Aggressive bees changing!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will fully agree with Eric, JBM and Ian. You may think it's ok to do nothing about improving genetics but the majority of (sensible) beeks want to work with manageable and calm stock. Personally, I think it's irresponsible beekeeping to maintain these genetics, not only because they could swarm and end up in someone's roof and cause hell to those living there, but also for beeks who work hard to improve their stock and.

Aggressive bees are not better at gathering honey or capping frames, this is a myth.

I’ve seen a few posts recently about aggressive bees. I have 2 hives 3 miles away from my house, I call this site HELL! As the bees (who have been on that site for over 7 years) were super aggressive. I would wear a boiler suit before I put on my jacket, veil has to be on 10-15 meters before you get to the hives ( walk up behind the hive entrance) gloves on and in id go, bees just constantly attacking me. When I’d finish I’d walk back to the van approximately 100 yards away and a cloud of bees following me. Found out after I get to the van, walk back half way towards the hives then back to the van that gets rid of a heap of bees. This year tho, the bees are not so near aggressive, when I walk half way back to the hives and back to the van, most or all the bees have gone! What has changed the bees temperament and made them less aggressive? Same bees been there for years, I’ve never tried to change their genetics because they were very good workers! Any idea what’s changed them? And before anyone says it, “aggressive bees does not mean good workers” but they most certainly were!! Hopefully they still will be this year.
I agree with most of the earlier posts especially the genetics one, however washing my bee outfit in a certain washing powder caused me a similar problem years ago and it took me ages to fathom it out. Try new washing powder and see what happens, if unchanged go for requeending. Best of luck!

I agree with most of the earlier posts especially the genetics one, however washing my bee outfit in a certain washing powder caused me a similar problem years ago and it took me ages to fathom it out. Try new washing powder and see what happens, if unchanged go for requeending. Best of luck!
Which powder caused the problem?

Latest posts

Back