Stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I have a veggie patch which is at least 75 to 90m away including two headges from my hives . I was stung there 3 days ago, two days ago another member of the family got stung when walking passed an I have just been stung two more times today. The bees are going to some flowers in the veggie garden but that is normal and having never experienced aggressive behaviour from my bees in the eight years since we have been here just wondering if any one had any thoughts on the matter

I presume you are sure they are bees and you don't have a wasp nest in or near the veggie patch?
90m is a long way for the bees to bother you - is it the same in other directions from the hive?

If you are right and those are your bees then I may be thinking drastic action but.....are you walking through a flight path to a nectar or water source? That seems the most likely explanation

Is there any robbing going on at your hives?
Is there a feral nest in the closest hedge - from a swarm you may have lost?

Hi
I have a veggie patch which is at least 75 to 90m away including two headges from my hives . I was stung there 3 days ago, two days ago another member of the family got stung when walking passed an I have just been stung two more times today. The bees are going to some flowers in the veggie garden but that is normal and having never experienced aggressive behaviour from my bees in the eight years since we have been here just wondering if any one had any thoughts on the matter
What are they like when you inspect them ... indeed - have you had a look at them since seeing this stinging behaviour. It's unusual for a honey bee to be stinging for no reason that far from the hive ... are you sure the stings came from your bees ?

never experienced aggressive behaviour
The behaviour is excessively defensive, not aggressive, and as above, if they are honey bees, it suggests there's another nest or neighbourly hive near your veg.

Does your family wear perfume of any sort? Bees can be defensive of stores at this time of year, but 90m is way out of order.

The behaviour is excessively defensive, not aggressive, and as above, if they are honey bees, it suggests there's another nest or neighbourly hive near your veg.

Does your family wear perfume of any sort? Bees can be defensive of stores at this time of year, but 90m is way out of order.

Does seem strange .all the aggressive behaviour has been in a 30ft sq area over 3 days
They are honey bees,if they are mine or not I can not tell.
I have not Inspect them, but I did put a vale on and stood close to the hive with no problems.And after a wash and change of shirt there were no more interest from the bees.
Maybe I should wear perfume lol

Does seem strange .all the aggressive behaviour has been in a 30ft sq area over 3 days
They are honey bees,if they are mine or not I can not tell.
I have not Inspect them, but I did put a vale on and stood close to the hive with no problems.And after a wash and change of shirt there were no more interest from the bees.
Maybe I should wear perfume lol

My betting is another colony nearby!!

Latest posts

Back