Aggressive bees changing!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’ve seen a few posts recently about aggressive bees. I have 2 hives 3 miles away from my house, I call this site HELL! As the bees (who have been on that site for over 7 years) were super aggressive. I would wear a boiler suit before I put on my jacket, veil has to be on 10-15 meters before you get to the hives ( walk up behind the hive entrance) gloves on and in id go, bees just constantly attacking me. When I’d finish I’d walk back to the van approximately 100 yards away and a cloud of bees following me. Found out after I get to the van, walk back half way towards the hives then back to the van that gets rid of a heap of bees. This year tho, the bees are not so near aggressive, when I walk half way back to the hives and back to the van, most or all the bees have gone! What has changed the bees temperament and made them less aggressive? Same bees been their for years, I’ve never tried to change their genetics because they were very good workers! Any idea what’s changed them? And before anyone says it, “aggressive bees does not mean good workers” but they most certainly were!! Hopefully they still will be this year.

I’ve seen a few posts recently about aggressive bees. I have 2 hives 3 miles away from my house, I call this site HELL! As the bees (who have been on that site for over 7 years) were super aggressive. I would wear a boiler suit before I put on my jacket, veil has to be on 10-15 meters before you get to the hives ( walk up behind the hive entrance) gloves on and in id go, bees just constantly attacking me. When I’d finish I’d walk back to the van approximately 100 yards away and a cloud of bees following me. Found out after I get to the van, walk back half way towards the hives then back to the van that gets rid of a heap of bees. This year tho, the bees are not so near aggressive, when I walk half way back to the hives and back to the van, most or all the bees have gone! What has changed the bees temperament and made them less aggressive? Same bees been their for years, I’ve never tried to change their genetics because they were very good workers! Any idea what’s changed them? And before anyone says it, “aggressive bees does not mean good workers” but they most certainly were!! Hopefully they still will be this year.
How does the honey flow seem this year compared to other years?

And has your (your own, not the bees') attitude, temperament or state of mind towards beekeeping changed?

Washed your beesuit?

Stopped eating bananas?

😁

I don’t think anyone has suggested aggressive bees can’t be good workers!!!
What is sometimes suggested is aggressive bees will gather more honey.
Quite frankly such a statement is wrong in fact in all my years I’ve never met a bee farmer who would make such a statement. Let’s face it their livelihood that of employees and the lives of those working on farms many of them have hives would be intolerable, and frankly just make the job harder😂
Many of the bee farmers I met in fact want good calm bees to make the job easier and indeed productive!

I’ve generally found the statement made by some that have little idea what’s going on in the hives or those of little experience. That was certainly the case when I first started and you just had the bees you got! It was only when visiting good beekeepers that you understood that bees do vary considerably!

So as to what’s changed…They won’t be the same bees that have been in the hives over the years, Queens will have mated with other drones from outside your site and things will change. As they are now only chasing you half way back to the van we can only hope that in another few years you’ll be managing them in shorts and t-shirt😉

I’ve never tried to change their genetics because they were very good workers! Any idea what’s changed them? And before anyone says it, “aggressive bees does not mean good workers” but they most certainly were!! Hopefully they still will be this year
I think that's just wishful thinking and basing your beliefs on a well peddled myth to avoid the 'hard work' of changing their genetics. requeen to get a better temperament and you will get the same, if not better yields

Last edited:
never tried to change their genetics because they were very good workers
Your lack of stock improvement over so many years will have spread excessively defensive genetics far and wide, and you will get no thanks from other beekeepers for lowering stock quality in your area.

Would you prefer well-tempered bees that were better workers? Your beekeeper neighbours would!

If so, it's time to do the work to get there: cull the worst and select the better every year. Buy in a few good queens - Jolanta from Denrosa, or Buckfast from Black Mountain Honey or BS Honey Bees, or any good local outfit that raises queens that produce well-tempered and productive bees.

Recent reduction in defensiveness is likely due to other beekeepers in your area keeping good-tempered bees, so thank them. Ian is right: no sensible beekeeper or beefarmer would tolerate the defensive bees you have because the stress and extra time spent makes for unpleasant work.

And has your (your own, not the bees') attitude, temperament or state of mind towards beekeeping changed?
Nope. Still the same. I’ve other aiperys I visit and they are nothing like these ones. I can check the others without gloves.

As they are now only chasing you half way back to the van we can only hope that in another few years you’ll be managing them in shorts and t-shirt
Where’s the fun in that? 🤣🤣🤣

I think that's just wishful thinking and basing your beliefs on a well peddled myth to avoid the 'hard work' of changing their genetics. requeen to get a better temperament and you will get the same, if not better yields
Well can you explain how the frame I showed at 7 shows won 1st prize at every show which came from this apiary and why after 4 years of trying, this apiary was able to produce section honey. No other hives would entertain square sections.

Ian is right: no sensible beekeeper or beefarmer would tolerate the defensive bees you have because the stress and extra time spent makes for unpleasant work.
No stress to me and the time taken is the same as any other hive I look after. Anyway. Get’s you prepared for any hive that plays up like when the OSR ends, and imagine if my hives got stolen? Be a real shock to the thief! 🤣🤣🤣

Well can you explain how the frame I showed at 7 shows won 1st prize at every show which came from this apiary and why after 4 years of trying, this apiary was able to produce section honey. No other hives would entertain square sections.
proves nothing, apart from the fact that some beekeepers will make up any excuse to defend bad bees (or poor beekeeping)- rather than be a beekeeper and tackle the issue

proves nothing, apart from the fact that some beekeepers will make up any excuse to defend bad bees (or poor beekeeping)- rather than be a beekeeper and tackle the issue
Do you do section honey?

Do you do section honey?
Yes …..done more than my share😉 and aggressive bees imo are certainly no better!! In fact if you tried a nice calm bee and in fact something like a well bred Buckfast that will take some crowding before running out the door you can get some very good sections, without the constant need for chucking them back in the top every time they swarm😂

Aggressive bees may chase off the odd kid chucking stones but if I went to pinch bees I’d wear my suit. So they are not going to prevent any theft are they. I’ve also had some experience with AHB in the Caribbean and they still get pinched😂

I’m not sure a single frame of prize winning honey is any example of productivity? Perhaps some nice white capping but nothing more.

Aggressive bees are more time consuming it’s a fact. I can wonder out my back door stick a veil on and go to work..graft cells, add boxes, your not dealing with bee’s running all over the place it’s just easier and certainly less time consuming. Let’s face it you already admitted walking backwards and forwards to the car😂

Latest posts

Back