Epi-Pen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll find that both MD's and Pharmacists do a little more than search the internet in order to qualify.

Outside of internet trawls, can we ask what your own qualifications are, (Medical or Scholarly) that may quantify your potentially dangerous opinion?

<sigh>

Exactly, you just made my point for me!!

My GP gave me one, knowing I would be using it (in a life/death emergency) on any of our guests.

You also had another medical opinion via PH earlier.

And, if I might humbly suggest it, as it seems to have been ignored by yourself and others, YOUR opinion is much more dangerous. YOU would refuse to use an epipen on me even if you KNEW I was suffocating to death from AS. I would die. You would stand there and watch, and wait for someone else to come to my aid.

I can catagorically, a zillion percent, with no exaggeration, tell you right here and right now, more people have died from not having an epipen used, than having one used. If they had AS or not.

Let me be quite clear:
Martin claims an epipen is a deadly weapon

and
Shabro says it gives headaches and the symptoms of flu

!

Good catch. not worthy

Also, Im sure a good rollercoaster can also give you all those too. The normal ones, not the death ones.

Last edited:
could you live with it tho?

Is that just a condition of employment tho or would you be prosecuted?
No idea but the politzi here stood by whilst a young boy drowned trying to save is sister it's alleged , just to try to keep on the right side in this Pc/lawyer dominated world we now live in :(
VM

<sigh>

Exactly, you just made my point for me!!

My GP gave me one, knowing I would be using it (in a life/death emergency) on any of our guests.

You also had another medical opinion via PH earlier.

And, if I might humbly suggest it, as it seems to have been ignored by yourself and others, YOUR opinion is much more dangerous. YOU would refuse to use an epipen on me even if you KNEW I was suffocating to death from AS. I would die. You would stand there and watch, and wait for someone else to come to my aid.

I can catagorically, a zillion percent, with no exaggeration, tell you right here and right now, more people have died from not having an epipen used, than having one used. If they had AS or not.

Lets look a little closer shall we?

1, Not withstanding possible false claims and by your own admission, your doc didnot prescribe the epipen for use on anyone, other than yourself.
2, Second hand opinion from PH, was if it is extremis and the throat (in particular) is closing and it is a life saving issue.
3, I have made no false claims and therefore, do not have an epipen!
4, Perhaps you might like to work out the total number of bees on the planet and transpose it against the number of unqualified "epipen wielding" fools, (desperate to use their ill gotten cureall).
5, You forgot to mention your qualifications!

Last edited:
mandf do you actually suffer bad reactions to stings?

For Gods sake ,let this man have the last word !!! then we can all get back to bee keeping . It's like watching a game of 'Keepy footy ball up'
VM

I think that many here are over reacting a tad.

If you are in a field and somebody is laying down, gasping for breath, and there are a few beehives about, I think it's a fair assumption they might be in some sort of bee related shock, even if its a wrong assumption, is an epi pen going to make things any worse?

I'll jab anyone in that situation, and take my chances in court.

For Gods sake ,let this man have the last word !!! then we can all get back to bee keeping . It's like watching a game of 'Keepy footy ball up'
VM

I don't know: it is really quite amusing. Stupid and conflicting claims floating by, an undercurrent of personal animosity and repetition..

Rather like Coronation Street - or so I would imagine.. (the last time I watched it was in 1346).

mandf do you actually suffer bad reactions to stings?

No. nor does the missus. But we had a young lad on our beginners course who developed a bad reaction, so we thought it a sensible precaution.

As did our GP, to whom noone made any false claims.

I am going with VMs advice now. Hopefully someone can glean from the contents what is fact, what is fiction and ultimately come to their own decision about what they would or wouldnt do, and what is or isnt deadly or illegal or negligent!

No way would I give my epi pen to someone else even if that person was dying if it meant I was going to be sewed, I'd rather watch them die.....................

Not really, I don't think anyone would but just to put things into prospective
Any one who has an epi pen please read the symptoms of AS so you know how to assess the patient's condition dial 999 and let them make the decision

I know this is serious stuff and all, but if people are getting the pens for the just in case situation.

I will live in fear of chocking on a piece of cake at my association :eek:

I know this is serious stuff and all, but if people are getting the pens for the just in case situation.

I will live in fear of chocking on a piece of cake at my association :eek:

:iagree: but I find that a sip of tea takes the edge off of all but the driest cake!

No. nor does the missus. But we had a young lad on our beginners course who developed a bad reaction, so we thought it a sensible precaution.........................................................................Hopefully someone can glean from the contents what is fact, what is fiction and ultimately come to their own decision about what they would or wouldnt do, and what is or isnt deadly or illegal or negligent!

MMM now I'm more than a little curious!

You only have 2 hives,
You have avoided any comment on your qualifications,
You have gained a position of responsibility with regard to minors,
And are ready to administer epinephrine to anyone you might suspect to be about to suffer AS?
You claim that a qualified MD has prescribed an epipen yet nobody has an allergy!

Of course, things down south are often different but where exactly are you and what do you do?

Sorry but getting an epipen because someone else's boy had a reaction is just plain bonkers. If it were my child that had "a bad reaction" then it would be my responsibility to get the right medical attention for them not you. I wouldnt want anyone getting any sort of drugs just in case to administer to someone else. You have no medical knowledge of the other person.

MMM now I'm more than a little curious!

You only have 2 hives,
You have avoided any comment on your qualifications,
You have gained a position of responsibility with regard to minors,
And are ready to administer epinephrine to anyone you might suspect to be about to suffer AS?
You claim that a qualified MD has prescribed an epipen yet nobody has an allergy!

Of course, things down south are often different but where exactly are you and what do you do?

What on earth are you on about?

I am a qualified pilot and I am a qualified IT engineer and I work for a law firm. What that has with the price of tea god only knows, but we cant have you being curious.

I have not gained any position of responsibility over children? What are you reading?

I am not "ready" to administer an epipen, nor to any I might suspect to be about to suffer. You should learn to read and understand, but I will once again state it in plain english for you; If I was in a position where someone was suffocating, AND I suspected AS, AND there was an epipen to hand, I would not worry about using it. Because doing so COULD save their life, and not using it WOULD result in them dying.

My GP prescribed an epipen on the basis of me saying we were about to keep bees, had not suffered from any adverse reaction (although I have hayfever, so I am hyperallergenic), but we know one can develop a bad reaction over time, plus we would like to have one handy in case a visitor to our house got stung and suffered AS. It was "just in case", if you dont like that, tough, that is the fact of the matter.

Now, who are you, what are your qualifications, who put you in charge of guinea pigs, what colour socks do you wear, and where does your "creative" comprehension come from?

VM

Quite. There is then a chance that he can get his post count up to 1000 by having a fight with himself.

Ah the joys of a good thread. If some let the dust settle before rattling the keys they might realise they were in danger of answering the WRONG post thus leading to all sorts of confusion.

Frankly I think this one is past it's best and a bit less of a combative stance would bode better for a few.

Life is too short and blood pressure can be dangerous.

PH

Life is too short and blood pressure can be dangerous.

PH

I'm old and my blood pressure is perfectly normal until I read this thread and..

Completed by Mrs Madasafish

The old codger has gone blue, gasping for breath so I've injected him with an epipen.. Freedom at last...

Sorry but getting an epipen because someone else's boy had a reaction is just plain bonkers. If it were my child that had "a bad reaction" then it would be my responsibility to get the right medical attention for them not you. I wouldnt want anyone getting any sort of drugs just in case to administer to someone else. You have no medical knowledge of the other person.

No, let me explain again, this time fully.

When we were learning at the association apiary, we all got stung a few times. All of us in the group. Which included a young lad (13 I think, but his age has no relevance, so Martin is free to read "young lad" and think "old lady").

None of us had any bad reaction.

New beekeepers discuss being stung. We discussed being stung. We discussed AS. We discussed the fact that some people could have bad reactions, but over time, as they were stung more, they would become less sensitive. We also discussed the fact that some people, over time, as they were stung more, become more sensitive, to the point of AS.

Anectdotal and theorhetical so far.

Then, the young lad (or for Martin the old lady) stopped coming down so often, and then came along to our open day and revealed that he (she) started getting very bad reactions and has given up his own hives.

Thereby giving us food for thought, at the speed this could happen. He said within the space of 2 stings (timewise for Martin).

That was 1 reason for wanting an epipen. Not for him, but for us, in case one of us developed a bad reaction to the point of AS.

The second was, if we had friends and family over, we wouldnt know if anyone would have AS, so thought it would be a "good idea" to have one to hand.

I went to my GP and discussed this. She agreed. Probably because she knew that I wasnt stupid, that I was being responsible by asking, that one can develop AS, that I wasnt stupid, that friends and family could suffer AS and not know they would beforehand, that it would be useful to have one to hand, that it isnt a firearm, that no license is required, Im not going to kill anyone and that Im not stupid.

So, thats my life story concerning epipens. Hopefully I have left no question unanswered, but if I have let me know and I will write a book and sell it, seeing as it is such an interesting subject that piques the curiosity of so many

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back