My bees put me in hospital

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What a 24 hours! Yesterday evening I went off to inspect my 5 colonies on two different sites. I have had little chance to visit them in the wet weather so I expected to find a few problems and there were indeed plenty!

I ended up going to my out-apiary, a remote allotment site, at about 9pm. By the time I got to my last colony, a P****s poly nuc split from one of my own hives in an AS, it was getting dark but as my plan was just to transfer them into a full sized BB and I thought it should be a quick job I carried on. Problem was they turned out to be queenless - even in the dying light I saw three beautiful big QCs - and they were really ratty. They went for me big time and because I was wearing a T-shirt under the bee suit I took about 20 stings to my forearms.

The first I knew there was something really wrong was when I noticed a tingling in both feet. Then I realised I was really sweaty - not just because it was hot. Then a general feeling of unwellness. I hastily covered the hives, grabbed my beekeeping equipment and rushed back to the car. By this time my vision was fading and I was feeling quite faint. I should have phoned 999 from the allotment but my mobile was safely inside the beesuit and there were still a hundred or so angry bees following me on the outside. I knew if I collapsed there I would not be found for possibly days so I decided to try to drive home - only a mile or so through town. The roads were very quiet. I suppose if I had passed out and crashed at least someone would have found me and called an ambulance and they might have put 2 and 2 together (unconscious man in bee suit with a dozen bees still buzzing round the car). It was crazy and irresponsible to drive in the state I was in, though in my defence, I was not exactly thinking straight, and in the event I make it home. As I pulled onto our drive I felt really nauseous. It took a massive effort to drag myself out of the car to the side door. I knew I had to get the bee suit off - still a handful of bees on the outside though they were calmer now - but I really did not know if I would have the strength to get out of the suit before I passed out so I rang the door bell so at least someone would find me on the floor! Even reaching for the bell took superhuman effort. I was mostly out of the suit when my wife arrived at the door. I just said "I have taken a lot of stings and I feel really unwell. I must have looked a sight because she took it really seriously.

My wife is a really wonderful, dedicated GP and you could not want any one better in an emergency. She tells me I was cold and clammy and had no peripheral pulse. She lay me on the kitchen floor and phoned 999 immediately. I heard her explain that this was a life threatening emergency but according to the 999 triage system I was low priority so they sent a paramedic car. By the time he arrived I was throwing up and shaking violently. He administered adrenaline and probably kept me alive. The ambulance finally arrived after an hour and a half. Hinckley only has one dedicated ambulance and they are just in the process of scrapping it so we will rely totally on the service from Leicester or Nuneaton. I dread to think how low the standards will get and how many will die.

I spent the night in the Leicester Royal Infirmary with a racing pulse and low blood pressure. I think I had three lots of adrenaline in total, along with steroids and chlorphenamine (Piriton). They monitored me on A&E until about 3:30 this morning when they decided I was stable enough to go to a ward. I was sent home this morning with an epipen and a referral to the allergy clinic.

I had a long discussion with an excellent A&E consultant at the ward round this morning. He does not think I had an anaphylactic response, to bee venom, rather a normal, though still potentially fatal, immune system response to a large dose of venom. If I had had those symptoms with a single sting it would have been anaphlaxis. Fortunately I never had any difficulty breathing though my tongue was a little bit swollen. The difference is, I can avoid 20 stings in the future (long sleeves!) but not the odd sting. This might not be the end of beekeeping for me though it is in the short term - until I have seen the allergy clinc!

The funny thing is that we are due to go to Italy for a holiday on a bee farm in 3 weeks time and I have not sorted out insurance yet! They don't actually keep bees at the farm because the farmers wife is allergic to bee stings (goats instead) so it might be okay.

Learn from my mistakes:
  1. Don't inspect at dusk
  2. Wear long sleeves under suit
  3. Keep phone accessible

As I type this, the itching is starting. Arghh ... Picture from last night:

Paul

Scary stuff indeed - glad you're OK pbh4.
Most of the time, I'm by myself to check my bees and I always make sure my phone is is my beesuit pocket.

Hi Paul

Really sorry to real your tale. I've been there but it wasn't quite as scary, however they did the RAST test and it was clear that I was allergic to bee venom. Don't make any assumptions until you've seen the allergy people, and get someone else to look after your bees meantime.

When it happened to me my bees were in the garden. Now they are at an out apiary and although I carry a mobile there is no guarantee that I would have time to use it. But I have been desensitised and feel fairly safe - Murray's son needed to repeat the process but that is very rare.

Take care

Gavin

Last edited:
Paul, good to know that you are OK despite your hospital visit. Certainly there are lots of learning points here.

Thank the Lord for your wife! There can't be many pluses to being a GPs other half - but I think you found one last night. Hope you heal OK and try Lanacane for the itching!!

Wow, that sounds scary. Glad you seem ok, although itchy, now:.) I generally have my mobile in my back jeans pocket, must remember to always have it in beesuit pocket. Not a lot of reception at my most awkward to get to apiary though!

glad to hear you are OK after what must have been a very frightening experience.

yet more evidence that bees ain't always lovely 'pets'.
they can, and do kill, and folk should always wear suitable PPE, and carry a charged mobile phone (which is accessible) when ever they are messing around with hives full of bees.

Wow what a story. You are lucky to be ok; hope you recover quickly, and have a good break/holiday

Bit of bad luck but glad you are OK now, there has been lots of talk here of being desensitised and is free on the NHS. Cannot believe the ambulance took 11/2 hours to arrive, and I pay for this service !!!!!

Dear god, I thought anaphylaxis was supposed to be a Category 1 immediate response? The whole ambulance situation sounds quite depressing really given how much we pay in tax and how little the bankers do! :( Most importantly, glad to hear you're ok though!

Thank you very much for posting this, and do get well soon!

Hope the itching soon stops. Thank goodness you made it home.

The ambulance situation is truly shocking. Worth going to the press over?

Take care.
Cazza

glad you're over the worst now - what a horrific experience!

hope you have a good holiday in italy :seeya:

Glad you are OK..

This is why I am for beginners getting stung: ensures the vulnerabkle can identify it early.

Glad you're ok now!I was just wondering, haven't you been stung before? Have you ever had any weird reaction to bee stings before?
And.. Just to be curious, where is this place in Italy? Could I have the name? :D

Glad you are OK..

This is why I am for beginners getting stung: ensures the vulnerabkle can identify it early.

Yes, I have had loads of stings before. At least 10 last year. Probably as many this year. With this year's stings I have hardly any local reaction at all. No swelling just a tiny bit of reddening and a little itching a few days later. The last occasion I was stung was was only a couple of weeks ago. The difference on Sunday was getting 20 full stings in one go. I think what the doctors are saying is that it was an allergic reaction but not a hypersensitive reaction so some would not call it anaphylaxis (but some would!) Still life threatening in any case.

Paul

Edit: Hmm I see to have responded to the wrong post! That was intended for astabada. Being stung early would not have identified the vulnerable in this case.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok now!I was just wondering, haven't you been stung before? Have you ever had any weird reaction to bee stings before?
And.. Just to be curious, where is this place in Italy? Could I have the name? :D

http://www.biobruni.it/indexb132.html?lan=eng

The farmer's wife, Rita, grew up in Leicester and speaks fluent English. They have about a hundred organic goats at the farm and also do all the honey processing though the bees are kept elsewhere. The farm has a number of apartments. There is an outdoor swimming pool. We have had four lovely holidays there.

Paul

What a bummer Paul, pleased it all worked out OK and have a great holiday.

BTW. The ambulance service here isn't any better, my wife nearly died in February waiting. In the end they sent the fire service to take her to hospital where after admission and stabilising she was left in the corridor with no attention from 7pm until 4.30am. Don't let yourselves be kidded by your government that this is a better system. The NHS in my opinion is as good as it gets.

Note to self, must be less casual with the bee stings.

Chris

I'm glad you're okay. And thanks for the warning - I frequently just wear a tee shirt under my bee keeping jacket. Not from now on.

As to the emergency services, they're great once you get past "999". A few years ago, when there was flooding expected down south, they actually switched the service off for Leeds, and presumably for most of the North. We had a guy collapse in our office. Someone hung on on one phone, while other phones, including mobiles, were tried, all to no avail. In our panic, none of us had the wit to call the local hospital direct. Eventually, after about 25 minutes with no reply I went to a local police station and asked them for help. They didn't believe there was a problem till they tried 999 for several minutes. They ended up getting an ambulance to us via the police despatch switchboard.

Just as well a plane didn't come down at Leeds-Bradford airport.

Latest posts

Back