Salutary Lesson !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The sunny weather yesterday was my trigger to go and inspect my small swarm from last year, especially as the forecast for the rest of the week indicated chillier temperatures. I knew they'd made it through the winter (pleased I'd re-homed them from a wooden hive to a poly nuc), and so took with me a complete hive, in hopeful anticipation that they might have expanded...on arrival, lots of activity with the feeding space crammed with bees. Great, I was really pleased.

It was time to set the hive up. Opened up the nuc... what a sight - rammed - and so began the process of transferring over 6 heaving frames. And then it all went downhill !

Midway through the transfer, it was apparent that a little friend was somehow inside my veil...how ?? I suddenly felt like a lamb to the slaughter...do I stop, or carry on,:unsure: I pondered....no choice carry on; then it gets worse, other little friends had also found the 'entrance' and had joined in the exploration.

Then the inevitable happened, BANG! on my cheek....self preservation kicked in, this triggered the inevitable release of more pheromones and of course more stings, and naturally the circling bees being transferred also got the message and joined in the attack! The priority was to get the job done, which I did and then withdraw rapidly...which I did with a trail of unhappy bees in hot pursuit 🏃‍♂️.

I reached the safety of the car, but as it was relatively warm I'd left the passenger window open :eek: so, more angry bees were waiting for me...this was now a full nightmare, bees were actually pinging the car!

Having cleared the car of a dozen or so bees, I sat there waiting for calm to descend before tidying up and heading home....but every time I got out of the car, platoons of bees (ok maybe 4 or 5) headed straight for me scoring direct hits.

Jumping back into the safety of the car, I watched as at least two bees actually flew at the drivers door handle, I'm convinced they'd have opened the door if they could have:oops:. Clearly I must have been seen (or rather smelt) as just one walking pheromone, so the only thing to do was to get home, get out of the bee suit and get it washed asap....turns out I had five stings to my face and neck, which prompted SWMBO to zoom off to the pharmacy (blue lights almost flashing) for antihistamines. 24 hrs later and the swelling is reducing.

But how did those bees get into my bee suit ? I'd done the usual checks...well, I can only surmise that they got in at the junction of the zips under the neck, maybe I hadn't pushed hard enough on the velcro flap that cover that junction, or maybe left one of the zips open by a few mm, just enough to provide an entrance. Either way, operator error on my part, and a salutary lesson on how easy it is to become complacent with things we do somewhat routinely. Another lesson learned the hard way.:rolleyes:

But how did those bees get into my bee suit ? I'd done the usual checks...well, I can only surmise that they got in at the junction of the zips under the neck, maybe I hadn't pushed hard enough on the velcro flap that cover that junction,
Ouch.
I had a veil full of angry black bees once and that’s exactly where they got in. …. Where the zip meets at the back. I have the junction covered with gaffer tape these days.

Those of us with a few years under our belt have all been there. It only happens once .....until the next time. Well done for carrying on!

Almost same thing happened to me last week. I purchased a colony that were desperate for room and they were on the verge of making plans to vacate.
As the Beek i bought them from wanted the hive back i had to transfer them into one of mine.
Everything went fine but as expected the bees were very confused ,but no agression. I got back to the car feeling very pleased with myself having never transfered before and as i unzipped the veil and lifted it over my head, They were on me i got several stings ,Face neck ears etc. I tried to run away into the field but the were still stinging me. Eventually i got the suit off and just left it in the field till later as they were still on it.
Anyway i counted 8 stings when i got home with a rapidly closing eye and a blister appearing on my wrist.
I think several of them were on the rear of my veil and i and i had not noticed till it was too late.

always ensure you give those areas a good firm pat to ensure that the velcro (which should be present at those areas in any decent suit) is joined properly. Had it happen a few times in an older suit where the velcro wasn't as robust, just a few bees so it was a simple matter of waiting until they settled at the front of the veil - quick pinch/squish and it's all over.

I tend to wear a jacket for most of my beekeeping so occasionally get a sting in the bum crevice if doing a lot of lifting but it’s not a problem to me nowadays as I really don’t react much.
What is more concerning is that I find modern jeans have taken to button up flies rather than zips and I have had on a number of occasions had inquisitive ladies finding their way into my trousers. They rarely sting but it’s most disconcerting when you are trying to concentrate on finding a queen!
And what do you do? Removing the jeans to evict her is hardly an option so I either let her have free reign until I am in the privacy of the van and hope I don’t trap her in a sensitive crevice or try to squish her before she does any damage.

Almost same thing happened to me last week. I purchased a colony that were desperate for room and they were on the verge of making plans to vacate.
As the Beek i bought them from wanted the hive back i had to transfer them into one of mine.
Everything went fine but as expected the bees were very confused ,but no agression. I got back to the car feeling very pleased with myself having never transfered before and as i unzipped the veil and lifted it over my head, They were on me i got several stings ,Face neck ears etc. I tried to run away into the field but the were still stinging me. Eventually i got the suit off and just left it in the field till later as they were still on it.
Anyway i counted 8 stings when i got home with a rapidly closing eye and a blister appearing on my wrist.
I think several of them were on the rear of my veil and i and i had not noticed till it was too late.
A kindred spirit ...we should form a club! ;)

I tend to wear a jacket for most of my beekeeping so occasionally get a sting in the bum crevice if doing a lot of lifting but it’s not a problem to me nowadays as I really don’t react much.
What is more concerning is that I find modern jeans have taken to button up flies rather than zips and I have had on a number of occasions had inquisitive ladies finding their way into my trousers. They rarely sting but it’s most disconcerting when you are trying to concentrate on finding a queen!
And what do you do? Removing the jeans to evict her is hardly an option so I either let her have free reign until I am in the privacy of the van and hope I don’t trap her in a sensitive crevice or try to squish her before she does any damage.
My first suit was the jacket type with elasticated hem around the waist. But I soon found that some bees lingering on my jeans were able to walk up under the hem...and carry on their journey upwards....ouch! That was about 12 yrs ago, so its been a full length suit ever since.

Anyway i counted 8 stings
Lightweight!
I remember years ago working with PeteD and ChrisB on saltway honey farm and being given the 'hive from hell' to inspect. I had 12 sting to the index finger of my right hand alone! and it was only a quick check.
I once had a colony that turned absolutely ballistic during one inspection, they stung through a gauntlet, marigold and BBwear suit sleeve on one arm and actually drew blood - ten years on and the scar is still there. There was so manyb bees on my veil, I couldn't actually retyreat to a 'safe' distance!!

always ensure you give those areas a good firm pat to ensure that the velcro (which should be present at those areas in any decent suit) is joined properly. Had it happen a few times in an older suit where the velcro wasn't as robust, just a few bees so it was a simple matter of waiting until they settled at the front of the veil - quick pinch/squish and it's all over.
Yea, the velcro is definitely showing signs of age...but I like the idea of using some sponge as advised by @Anduril...and some gaffer tape as highlighted by Dani. Although maybe its time for a new suit (think my current one is getting smaller ;)...any excuse !!

Lightweight!
I remember years ago working with PeteD and ChrisB on saltway honey farm and being given the 'hive from hell' to inspect. I had 12 sting to the index finger of my right hand alone! and it was only a quick check.
I once had a colony that turned absolutely ballistic during one inspection, they stung through a gauntlet, marigold and BBwear suit sleeve on one arm and actually drew blood - ten years on and the scar is still there. There was so manyb bees on my veil, I couldn't actually retyreat to a 'safe' distance!!
Wow...I feel my experience was just a skirmish compared to that...this colony have shown signs of being a bit feisty previously...think I've been lucky; never really had a very grumpy colony, so keeping a close eye on these guys...any signs of nastiness will be met with a new queen !

I remember trying to put a clearer board on one hive that had been nice and calm up until then but they took exception and went berserk! After probably 50 stings through my jeans and around my wrists. I had to walk(run) about 100m up the road to lose followers. I then got the Ozarmour out of the van and completed the task with another dozen or so stings to my wrists and hands.
What was unfortunate was my landlord who was directing a skip lorry into his landscape business got stung and so did the skip lorry driver! What amazes me is my landlord wasn’t pissed off, he will help me anyway he can 😁

Drove home the other day in my suit, hood down. Got home, removed suit, discovered about 20 bees had been quietly sitting under the hood. Hope they managed to get into one of the outhouse hives after I shook them off. Also walked into the butcher's with one on my shorts recently and then she decided to start wandering around on me whilst I was waiting, which was tickly when she got onto my leg hairs!

Latest posts

Back