Ultra Bee patties 58% protein

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've trawled the forum and for the most part, I appreciate the issue of pollen sub is a bit of a touchy subject that turns into a debate on its necessity or otherwise - however, I bought a 50lb bag last year, probably because I got carried away with my debit card, and it just may prove a season-maker for me. I wasn't really able to get into my 200 hives after June, with back problems (so I definitely won't have 200 now!), so I'm planning on feeding pretty heavily early on with both fondant, then syrup and with the Ultra Bee as the protein supplement to build up the bees in time for the OSR and for early splits. I've never actually made patties with it before, I've only tried those soya flour and faff on affairs when I'd barely kept bees and was looking for unnecessary jobs to do to stop myself looking in the hive every day - does anyone know how to make it attractive to the bees? I know they prefer natural pollen, which is all well and good, but I'd like to get them cooking on gas early doors - think mixing some light syrup with a little Hive Alive will make it more tempting? Also, how big do people make individual patties as a rule? Cheers, R

think mixing some light syrup with a little Hive Alive
pretty pointless at this time of year - autumn feeding is the time for hive alive (if you insist on paying through the nose instead of using hivemaker's thymol recipe) as the only really beneficial ingredient is thymol for nosema.
And why feed both fondant and syrup? and if you feed them heavily, all you are going to do is fill up cells needed for brooding with syrup - and end up getting it in your honey

I've trawled the forum and for the most part, I appreciate the issue of pollen sub is a bit of a touchy subject that turns into a debate on its necessity or otherwise - however, I bought a 50lb bag last year, probably because I got carried away with my debit card, and it just may prove a season-maker for me. I wasn't really able to get into my 200 hives after June, with back problems (so I definitely won't have 200 now!), so I'm planning on feeding pretty heavily early on with both fondant, then syrup and with the Ultra Bee as the protein supplement to build up the bees in time for the OSR and for early splits. I've never actually made patties with it before, I've only tried those soya flour and faff on affairs when I'd barely kept bees and was looking for unnecessary jobs to do to stop myself looking in the hive every day - does anyone know how to make it attractive to the bees? I know they prefer natural pollen, which is all well and good, but I'd like to get them cooking on gas early doors - think mixing some light syrup with a little Hive Alive will make it more tempting? Also, how big do people make individual patties as a rule? Cheers, R

Generally ours get one packet of Apipasta plus, then a couple of litres of zukan feed from Paul @ Modern Beekeeping.
All colonies get one packet of Apipasta vitamins mid winter.
Whether it's snake oil or not I don't know, but this regime works for us.
I haven't the time to mix feeds anymore.
I did split a couple on Tuesday & there's nectar coming in which really surprises me.

pretty pointless at this time of year - autumn feeding is the time for hive alive (if you insist on paying through the nose instead of using hivemaker's thymol recipe) as the only really beneficial ingredient is thymol for nosema.
And why feed both fondant and syrup? and if you feed them heavily, all you are going to do is fill up cells needed for brooding with syrup - and end up getting it in your honey
Sorry Emyr, I wasn't v clear. I'm not using actual Hive Alive it's true but the name felt like shorthand - I'm trying to make up my numbers as swiftly as possible and I meant fondant first, and then syrup (will be needed for the amount of colonies I brought back to home apiary to overwinter) once it warms up. Pretty good for pollen up here but I've easily 70 colonies in my parents garden, scrubby sheepland all about, so patties would make up for any dearth such overpopulation creates, and a desperation to build them up and make splits as early as possible to get somewhere closer to my original numbers pre-back putting a hex on everything. Just little experience of using them, thankfully - I figure I've got it and may as well see if it can aid my recovery of numbers. R

"Apipasta protein"seems to have 3% protein, which means nothing for bees brood rearing. Better to get something else. 97% out of it is sugar.

Using Ultrabee Powder.
To make Patties, mix with hot water, granulated sugar and rape seed oil.
Message me for a spreadsheet to calculate the correct mix. To mix larger volumes purchase a small electric concrete/plaster mixer. It's very hard to mix by any other method.

Each Patty =0.5Kg lasts about a week on a reasonable sized colony.

Last edited:
I used Ultrabee for years. Had a great recipe…until Mann Lake changed their formula. What was mixed as before turned out soupy. I now use Global Patties with 4% pollen. Canadian company
My old recipe for mixing Ultrabee dry.
I make so much, I use a cement mixer

42 pounds granulated sugar
17 pounds hot water
6 cups vegetable oil
25 pounds Ultrabee

Hot water in mixer
Sugar in mixer
Oil in mixer
Run until sugar is dissolved
Add Ultrabee slowly
Pour into honey buckets before it sets up
Cover tightly. Thickens overnight
Makes about 8 gallons

I used Ultrabee for years. Had a great recipe…until Mann Lake changed their formula. What was mixed as before turned out soupy. I now use Global Patties with 4% pollen. Canadian company
My old recipe for mixing Ultrabee dry.
I make so much, I use a cement mixer

42 pounds granulated sugar
17 pounds hot water
6 cups vegetable oil
25 pounds Ultrabee

Hot water in mixer
Sugar in mixer
Oil in mixer
Run until sugar is dissolved
Add Ultrabee slowly
Pour into honey buckets before it sets up
Cover tightly. Thickens overnight
Makes about 8 gallons
Thanks so much for this Mike!

I know it’s not quite the same but has anybody used Apipasta? I was given some so to try it out I put it over a feeder hole. It all dripped through and onto the floor

I know it’s not quite the same but has anybody used Apipasta? I was given some so to try it out I put it over a feeder hole. It all dripped through and onto the floor
I always mixed my sub on the thin side. Not so it's runny, but almost. I always sandwiched the patty between waxed paper. Then if it's too thin it won't be going anywhere. Also, it won't dry out.

Latest posts

Back