Feeding Bees – Syrup, Fondant, or ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

understanding_bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I would like to share some information about discoveries I have made, concerning the feeding of sugar to bees.

There have been many discussions on what might be the best way to feed the bees - whether we should supply syrup, fondant, or granular sugar. Each method has advantages and disadvantages, and the method chosen by a beekeeper may well depend on their particular circumstances.

For example, sugar syrup can be fed at different concentrations, and may be taken well by the bees when the weather is warm. When the temperatures are low, the bees are likely to ignore the syrup; the syrup may ferment or go mouldy and become unsuitable for use by the bees.

Fondant seems to be preferred by many beekeepers, especially during the coldest times, because it can be placed directly above the honey frames, where it can be easily accessed by the bees. However much more effort is required to make fondant, compared to making syrup. If fondant is purchased, the cost is greater than the equivalent amount of sugar – either the dollar cost of manufactured fondant, or the “time cost” to beekeepers who make their own fondant.

Granular dry sugar is sometimes carried out of the hive by bees, if they consider it to be foreign material.

Having considered these various options, I opted for feeding syrup to my bees several months ago during our autumn. I have experienced the bees feeding eagerly on syrup, and also them ignoring it when the weather got cooler, and the syrup went mouldy and had to be discarded. This is not the “win-win” situation I would have liked, but more like a “lose-lose” situation, because the bees did not get the benefit from the syrup, and I had to bear the cost of wasted sugar syrup.

After thinking about what alternative approach I could use, I decided to try an experiment with granular sugar, which could be fed to the bees directly above the honey frames. First of all, I made an eke which could be placed onto the top hive box, directly under the crown board, so that I would have about 40mm of space between the top of the frames and the underside of the crown board. I had already made crown boards with clear Perspex acrylic viewing panels, rather than plywood panels. These have given me enjoyable opportunities to observe the bees in their hives. I have been able to watch them, regardless of the weather, because I have not had to remove the clear crown boards.

I made some shallow plastic trays, about 30mm high, cut from the sides of empty milk bottles. Our milk-bottles are made from polyethylene plastic, and I was able to cut flat bottomed trays from the sides of 3-litre bottles. My Perspex crown boards have holes of about 40mm diameter in the centre, and I have been able to replenish sugar by removing the 40mm plug which seals the hole in the crown board. The flat tray was placed directly onto the frames, under the hole in the crown board. I have used a funnel to be able to easily pour dry sugar into the flat plastic tray, and to spread the sugar as much as necessary in the tray, without needing to remove the crown board in cold weather. To help make the sugar more attractive to the bees, I wet it with a small quantity of water to which I had added a drop of anise oil. I had found, during my reading, that anise oil scent is very attractive to bees, and this is confirmed by my experience. I used enough of this scented water to thoroughly moisten the sugar in the tray. I have observed the bees actively feeding on the sugar I have provided, and I have not found any evidence of them removing or discarding grains of sugar.

Part of the reason given for feeding fondant rather than syrup, in cold weather, is that the bees do not like to go to a cold location in the hive to get their ”sugar hit”. Fondant and protein patties are usually placed directly onto the honey frames so that they are easily accessible to the bees. It is for the same reason that I have placed the sugar tray directly onto the frames.

There is another factor that someone may mention, about the condensation which can form under a crown board. Various methods have been devised to absorb or dissipate condensation in a hive. At the onset of our winter, a couple of months ago, I became rather concerned about the large amounts of condensation which formed on the underside of my clear plastic crown boards. In response, I have placed empty hive boxes above the crown boards on my hives, and have installed thick polystyrene foam insulation boards (100mm thick) directly above the crown boards. This has enabled the bees to keep their crown board warm, and completely free of condensation. It also means that the bees are quite contented to visit the sugar tray in the warmth of the hive, even though the temperatures outside of the hive are much lower. Condensation still occurs on the sides of the hive boxes, inside of the hive, and this can be a useful source of drinking water for the bees. I find it reassuring that the upper surface of the crown board is warm to my touch when I go to observe or check on the bees.

All in all I think that this method of feeding sugar has much to commend it:
. Clear crown boards enable easy observation of the bees, and their sugar supply.
. Sugar can be replenished without exposing bees to the outside atmosphere in cold weather.
. Sugar can be applied directly, without having to use time to mix syrup, or make fondant.
. Granular sugar is less expensive than fondant, but gives the same food value to bees.
. Heavily insulated crown boards have been completely free of condensation.

You sound as if you have thoroughly enjoyed your experiments and have happy bees
Here in the U.K. most of us like to get winter stores in quickly while the weather is warm in one big hit so that the bees have their provisions in the brood round them where they are needed.Fondant or heavy syrup both work. Feeding after that can safely be left till early spring when fondant is the norm.
Top insulation is widespread and 50mm of PIR is sufficient.
Of course many people keep poly hives which don’t need any extra insulation and many come with insulated feeders.

There is another option - don't feed routinely. Leave enough honey in the hive to last all winter. Monitor stores by weighing the hive periodically. Only feed if they are in danger of starving, which they won't if you leave enough.

or ??? Honey!
If you're not a commercial beekeeper, then as Greg has said, leave enough honey and the chances of having to feed are dramatically reduced. :)

or ??? Honey!
If you're not a commercial beekeeper, then as Greg has said, leave enough honey and the chances of having to feed are dramatically reduced. :)
Indeed. Mine have always got what is in the brood box. They are on 14x12 so leaving a super of honey is not an option unless it’s to leave one under temporarily to bring uncapped honey up.
Feeding is a top up.
Some years they need little. Last year they needed food intermittently through the whole year

Just add thymol to your syrup no mould and keeps till next season. Nothing wrong with feeding bees sugar in some instances it can be better for them. I would imagine there’s some that don’t feed that had to think again earlier this season😉

There is another option - don't feed routinely. Leave enough honey in the hive to last all winter. Monitor stores by weighing the hive periodically. Only feed if they are in danger of starving, which they won't if you leave enough.
Thankyou for some helpful suggestions. It has been apparent that the season has been unusual for UK beekeepers, and there have been lots of comments about the variations between the honey harvests in different years. We have had an unusual season as well, with less honey produced than the year before.

I recognise the importance of leaving honey for the bees to use during the winter months. My plan for this last season was to try and build up a couple of extra colonies, by way of splits, and to not harvest any honey from them. I fed syrup during the autumn, because they had minimal amounts of honey stored, and I do not want them to starve.

During cold weather fondant is fed rather than syrup, and that was the reason why I embarked on this experiment. There were a couple of reasons why I wanted to find if I could successfully feed sugar during the winter months. One reason is the difference in cost of fondant and sugar, but another significant reason is that fondant cannot be easily supplied to the bees without opening the hive, and exposing the bees to the cold weather.

As indicated in some of the responses to my original letter, beekeepers sometimes find that they need to provide additional food to the bees during the winter months. The method which I have used enables the bees to be fed as much (or as often) as necessary, even if the weather conditions are completely unsuitable for opening a hive.

1. It has been apparent that the season has been unusual for UK beekeepers, and there have been lots of comments about the variations between the honey harvests in different years.
2. fondant cannot be easily supplied to the bees without opening the hive, and exposing the bees to the cold weather.

As indicated in some of the responses to my original letter, beekeepers sometimes find that they need to provide additional food to the bees during the winter months. The method which I have used enables the bees to be fed as much (or as often) as necessary, even if the weather conditions are completely unsuitable for opening a hive.
1. It’s the same very year. We are a maritime nation. We don’t have a climate we have weather and it’s different every year 😉
2. The standard method to feed for beginners especially is to put it in a container placed over the crownboard feeder hole. It seems to work.
Emergency stuff goes straight on the top bars and opening the hive, even in the snow seems to have little consequence.

Latest posts

Back