Swarm trap etiquette have I been good or bad?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ok so one of my out apiaries while doing last weeks inspection I had a walk around just observing what’s coming into bloom next etc. I then noticed a swarm trap about 40 metres from my hives set in a hedge line. Well all my queens at this site are clipped so they won’t be populating the swarm box anytime soon. Well at another one of my apiaries I have some bees from hell, the sort that you double suit and glove up even before opening the car door as the bees are always ready to greet you. So I decided to take one of these colonies yesterday and transferred to the swarm box. No loss to me and hope the new owner has the pleasure of inspecting them. Fingers crossed it’s a new beekeeper placing them in the garden at home 😂😂

So I decided to take one of these colonies yesterday and transferred to the swarm box. No loss to me and hope the new owner has the pleasure of inspecting them. Fingers crossed it’s a new beekeeper placing them in the garden at home
I presume you’re joking

Pretty harsh thing to do…especially if it turns out to be a new beekeeper

I have had angry swarms before so no matter. I think you did some one a favour by giving them a swarm. Bees are bees.

I wouldn't do it and it's not a great thing to do in some regards but can see the angle from which it's a hilarious response to someone I'd be a bit miffed at depending on whether they have permission to be putting anything in that hedge. Part of me wants to see the outcome. Siting a bait hive in that way isn't something I'd expect of a beginner.

Ok so one of my out apiaries while doing last weeks inspection I had a walk around just observing what’s coming into bloom next etc. I then noticed a swarm trap about 40 metres from my hives set in a hedge line. Well all my queens at this site are clipped so they won’t be populating the swarm box anytime soon. Well at another one of my apiaries I have some bees from hell, the sort that you double suit and glove up even before opening the car door as the bees are always ready to greet you. So I decided to take one of these colonies yesterday and transferred to the swarm box. No loss to me and hope the new owner has the pleasure of inspecting them. Fingers crossed it’s a new beekeeper placing them in the garden at home 😂😂
Well I actually think they were taking the proverbial. I think you have been generous giving them any bees at all! Good on you!

Reactions: jim
I think it's a fair response for the cheek of putting the bait hive there The only thing you have to hope for is for the beek to be able to manage and requeen before they swarm and settle in the vicinity spreading those genes!

I have someone who puts bait hives near my apiary, so I know just how Wingy feels.

People talk of bait hive etiqeutte and this is interesting as this 'etiquette' really is just one persons personal opinion.
If a bait hive is laid on public land or where you have permission or even in a hedgerow where the landowner has no concern then what is the problem? Bees swarm so why not leave out the potential to catch a swarm?

I really don't see a problem with putting up baits hives close to hives or why the owner of those hives should be upset. If the hive owner is being diligent (as Wingy is by clipping his queens) the bait hive owner will get no luck but if a hive should swarm surely it is better that that swarm should be caught before it goes into someone's chimney or roof which could cause enormous expense for the home owner.

The swarm trap won't encourage your bees to leave your hive. They'll already have gone and be looking for a home. If you're not around to catch them, as Newbeeneil says, it's better that they colonise a handy bait hive rather than end up somewhere that they cause a nuisance or die for the want of a home.

Perhaps your out apiary looks as though it's been abandoned? Or the other beek wasn't even aware of it's location, you say 40 metres, unless the other beek scouts the area would he / she necessarily be aware of it's location?

Latest posts

Back