My bees put me in hospital

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about the bad experience - glad you are on the mend and able to post about it.
Food for thought for all of us.

What a 24 hours!
My wife is a really wonderful, dedicated GP and you could not want any one better in an emergency. She tells me I was cold and clammy and had no peripheral pulse. She lay me on the kitchen floor and phoned 999 immediately. I heard her explain that this was a life threatening emergency but according to the 999 triage system I was low priority so they sent a paramedic car. By the time he arrived I was throwing up and shaking violently.

Paul

She may need to rethink that part - they're going to inject you with adrenaline so keeping you calm and immobile is the opposite to the treatment?? :cool:

http://www.biobruni.it/indexb132.html?lan=eng

The farmer's wife, Rita, grew up in Leicester and speaks fluent English. They have about a hundred organic goats at the farm and also do all the honey processing though the bees are kept elsewhere. The farm has a number of apartments. There is an outdoor swimming pool. We have had four lovely holidays there.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out!
Glad you're ok, I got stung few times but always once per day. Last time I got stung 3 times in few minutes and my arm started swelling a lot and kept itching for days!

Phew thank goodness you are ok Paul. Let us know what the allergy test shows, it'll be interesting to know.

She may need to rethink that part - they're going to inject you with adrenaline so keeping you calm and immobile is the opposite to the treatment?? :cool:

She has just updated her anaphylaxis training for the out-of-hours service she works for. She told me that most deaths from anaphylaxis are due to the patient being left in a sitting position rather than lying down with feet in the air (even, sometimes at the hands of the emergency services). The most important thing is keeping blood going to the brain. My blood pressure dropped to 80/40 so I couldn't have stood up anyway! I don't think keeping me calm was the issue.

Thanks to everyone for the best wishes. I'll keep you informed how the allergy clinic goes.

Paul

Rast

Hi Paul

... they did the RAST test and it was clear that I was allergic to bee venom. Don't make any assumptions ...

RAST test, like skin testing, is far from 100% reliable either way - even with repeats. It can be helpful as a guide, but beware of any assumptions without considering other medical symptoms and signs.

Latest posts

Back