Anaphylactic shock

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chris600uk

a) It makes good sense to carry an epipen if you are allergic. Like wearing a seatbelt if you are in the car!

b) If you think you may be or are worried it makes good sense to go to your GP and ask for a test. They won't test you or refer you if you have not had a reaction, I do not think.

c) It is not clever to self medicate and carry an epipen if you might, think, perhaps maybe allergic, or someone near you might, maybe have some reaction. If someone did have a reaction and you did use your pen on you or someone else, how do you know their medical history... You could do more danger than good.

itma & oliver90owner talk good sense!

I personally became allergic last year, I had a sever reaction needing hospital treatment, I went to my GP, and am now on the immunology programme and do carry an epipen, amongst other precautions. There are many beekeepers I have been in touch with none of which carried a pen before hand, the best you can do if you are worried is:

* Take antihistamine
* Always go with someone else to the hive
* Always have phone signal
* Make sure you know what do do in an event of a reaction (read the first post of this thread)

I had an odd reaction to a sting last year and approached my GP re an Eppi pen and was point blank told no.

She thought they were more dangerous than the sting. Ho hum...

However to be fair it was the first time I had had an odd reaction from just one from thousands of stings so I (hope) she took that into account.

PH

I had a bad reaction last year for the first time following a bee sting. However I had been stung by a wasp only 20 mins before hand when I uncovered a ground nest whilst strimming. It was the combination of both stings that gave me the adverse reaction.

chris600uk

a) It makes good sense to carry an epipen if you are allergic. Like wearing a seatbelt if you are in the car!

b) If you think you may be or are worried it makes good sense to go to your GP and ask for a test. They won't test you or refer you if you have not had a reaction, I do not think.

c) It is not clever to self medicate and carry an epipen if you might, think, perhaps maybe allergic, or someone near you might, maybe have some reaction. If someone did have a reaction and you did use your pen on you or someone else, how do you know their medical history... You could do more danger than good.

:iagree:

An eppipen may be likened to a seatbelt, but you only need to use a seatbelt while traveling in a car! Likewise you should only carry an eppipen if you are allergic and likely to suffer AS.

Ignorant use of an eppipen would be like securing a seatbelt on the Titanic!!

:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

These idiots who think they know better than Doctors and Pharmacists will never learn, until their ignorance kills someone.

:iagree:

An eppipen may be likened to a seatbelt, but you only need to use a seatbelt while traveling in a car! Likewise you should only carry an eppipen if you are allergic and likely to suffer AS.

Ignorant use of an eppipen would be like securing a seatbelt on the Titanic!!

:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

These idiots who think they know better than Doctors and Pharmacists will never learn, until their ignorance kills someone.
Reasoned administration of an epipen in a life and death situation is hardly the act of an i.diot, I would however consider standing by whilst a life is ebbing away , the act of a coward! .
The symptoms of anaphylaxis are well documented and I would think that a non idiotic beekeeper would familiarise him/herself with them!
Have you ever handled an epipen/ read the instructions / watched a video of the characteristics of anaphylactic shock? .I doubt it very much. There is a world of difference between hysteria brought on by a bee sting and true anaphylaxia where speedy treatment is required rather than a debate on ethics !
By the way, the instructions advice etc. were written by Doctors for the layman.
Referring to people of differing views as i.diots serves only to weaken your position !
VM

looks as if i will have to move some of my hives then drs, i have no signal for miles on some sites, but then i wont get stung if i try to use it,
always tell some one where you are and how long you will be there if not close to populated areas and what to do if you are not back

looks as if i will have to move some of my hives then drs, i have no signal for miles on some sites, but then i wont get stung if i try to use it,
always tell some one where you are and how long you will be there if not close to populated areas and what to do if you are not back

You could carry some flares perhaps,let 20 or 30 of them off if you get a problem,someone would be bound to notice...most likely the RNLI.
or some police armed tactical assault squad.

I have 2 pens one in my tool box and one in my swarm kit, if not for me I have no problem sticking it in a complete stranger if the pulse is weak. :driving:

Just thinking, did more beekeepers or members of the public die from bee stings before Mobile phones where invented ?

If the illegal acquisition of epipens continues, (by would-be medics who have watched too many episodes of casualty or ER) we will start to see statistics showing Deaths following the foolish/illegal administering of a prescription drug.

If any one wishes to clarify the situation,
Ask a Doctor or Pharmacist for their qualified opinion!
Give no credence to further rants of the uneducated.:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

What is the expected shelf life of an epipen that has spent a summer >15 deg in the pocket of some fool, desperate to act out the latest medical drama they viewed on TV as soon as an innocent victim presents with what they conclude to be "suitable symptoms"????

I think you are now exceeding the limit of what is acceptable , indeed your posts have become downright abusive .
This is after all a discussion forum and not a platform for the self proclaimed messiah .
VM

Do you not need a prescription in order to get an epipen in the UK?

I think you are now exceeding the limit of what is acceptable , indeed your posts have become downright abusive .
This is after all a discussion forum and not a platform for the self proclaimed messiah .
VM

Some of us have the deference to accept the view of those most qualified to comment on this subject i.e. the Doctors and Pharmacists.

Uninformed opinion on the other hand is far from magnanimous, often Dangerous and (in one particular case) bordering on the conceited.

Do you not need a prescription in order to get an epipen in the UK?

I asked my GP recently about obtaining epipens, in case someone suffered a reaction after being stung by my bees. He said he could "sell" me one but I wouldn't get it on prescription (i.e. for £7.40) as I'd already told him that I'd been stung without any allergic reaction. When I asked if he thought it was dangerous to administer an epipen to someone without knowing their medical history and not really being qualified to spot the signs of AS for sure, he said "hmm, perhaps it's not a good idea then, best call for an ambulance if it happens".

Nick

Some of us have the deference to accept the view of those most qualified to comment on this subject i.e. the Doctors and Pharmacists.

Uninformed opinion on the other hand is far from magnanimous, often Dangerous and (in one particular case) bordering on the conceited.

You obviously haven't read the whole thread in your haste to appear authoritative .
Pity it just doesn't work with me :D
VM

I asked my GP recently about obtaining epipens, in case someone suffered a reaction after being stung by my bees. He said he could "sell" me one but I wouldn't get it on prescription (i.e. for £7.40) as I'd already told him that I'd been stung without any allergic reaction. When I asked if he thought it was dangerous to administer an epipen to someone without knowing their medical history and not really being qualified to spot the signs of AS for sure, he said "hmm, perhaps it's not a good idea then, best call for an ambulance if it happens".

Nick

Wow. When I was about to start keeping bees, I asked at the local pharmacy about an epipen and they were adamant that I would have to get a prescription from the Dr.

I think I would still have needed a 'script - he was just saying I'd have to pay the full cost, rather than getting it subsidised.

I think I would still have needed a 'script - he was just saying I'd have to pay the full cost, rather than getting it subsidised.

I'm guessing it would have been a 'private' prescription then, because you didn't turn up at the surgery needing immediate treatment.

I'm in the don't carry an epipen 'just in case' camp. I haven't been trained, am not entirely sure of the symptoms and how they differ from serious asthma attack, so could make everything a lot worse.

I have also discussed the same thing with my GP who said no, I couldn't have one, and I shouldn't carry one to use on somebody else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back