Commercial members usernames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should sellers change their username to something non-advertising ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • I love spam

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Why not just make a commercial section and be over and done with it. The members who do not like advertising can stay away. Simple and clear cut.
Anyone that attempts to advertise elsewhere is pulled up.

Just so long as it wouldnt turn up in "new posts"

Why not just make a commercial section and be over and done with it. The members who do not like advertising can stay away. Simple and clear cut.

That seems the simplest way, and those that use that section pay a token subscription to help Mark beef up his admin skills and spam filtration. And of course pay for those all important hormone treatments.

Years ago I learnt to Skydive at British Sky Sports just outside of Scarborough. Nicky (the son) taught me. It was fantastic. I stayed there a few times and got to know the family well.

In order to progress and grow they decided to open the floor to suggestions to the club members. Membership was free btw. So Anyway it started off all friendly with random people who hardly used the club suggesting stuff, along with the full timers. The idea of a website to promote the club was hatched. Shortly afterwards the problems started.

Before long in the space of one weekend there were full blown rows about how things should be done. It was totally forgotten that:

1. The members did not pay for membership.
2. That the premises did not belong to them.
3. That it was by the good grace of the owners and their love of the sport that the club existed at all.
4. That in order to uphold these new ideas that members would have to contribute financially and also with their time.
5. That it was just a suggestion to get a feel for things. Not their rite.

The long and short of it was, David (Nicky's dad and a great great man) said in his thick Irish Brogue, "Thats enough of this Sh*t, I will not have the tail wag the dog".

It was a poll to gauge opinion. Not what "IS" going to happen. Just think things through and where they will go from here once your great ideas are hatched. And as I always say to my fellow Essex scumbags that move to Cornwall and want to tarmac and streetlamp the crap out of the place - "You moved here because you saw something that you loved and had to be part of, and moved away from what you hated". SO like them dont try and make this something that you think it should be - try and enjoy it for how wonderful it is and remember why you came here and why your are STILL here.
Well said :)
VM

Although the original question was about username, I think that's not really what people object to (or is it? maybe I'm wrong). What people object to is overt advertising from people with commercial interests who offer nothing / not much else to the forum. I think admin already does a decent job of cracking down on that.
But I reckon it's not that easy (or advisable) to make rules to cover the grey areas. A couple of examples...
1. I'm doing an event soon where some of the profits will go to a charity that runs beekeeping projects in Africa. Can I advertise that? Is it worthy enough? Who decides? Or do I have to post it and potentially suffer scathing comments?
2. Recently someone with a clear commercial interest in a product which could be sold to beekeepers was freely allowed to discuss their product on the forum even though they had made no previous posts. It was deemed by most members to be OK because the member was offering some free advice along the way. So, what's the difference between this and Bees4U? Neither had offered free advice before talking about their product/service but one was received with open arms whereas the other was virtually burned at the stake.
Food for thought?

great idea

at last someone making a sensible suggestionnot worthy

As I said, a commercial section is the answer to all this, maybe only members that are in good standing with the forum would be allowed to advertise - at the absolute discretion of Admin. To be able to advertise they could possibly be only for members of say six months or more and be seen to contribute knowledge and advice to other, not so experienced, members.
It is just not on when the names of beekeeping companies are posted at will on the forum whilst commercial beekeepers are not allowed to be mentioned. The companies sell hives, queens and everything else connected with the industry, as do some of commercial members. Although some members dislike advertising; the companies, commercial beekeepers and people offering courses are providing a service to beekeeping which is progressing and growing aided by these services/products.

If we are having a commercial section can we also have an 'argument room' where we can relegate all the threads that turn into a slanging match (it will be a big section!!;))

2. Recently someone with a clear commercial interest in a product which could be sold to beekeepers was freely allowed to discuss their product on the forum even though they had made no previous posts. It was deemed by most members to be OK because the member was offering some free advice along the way. So, what's the difference between this and Bees4U? Neither had offered free advice before talking about their product/service but one was received with open arms whereas the other was virtually burned at the stake.
Food for thought?

I think we're all out of order - how can we sit here refereeing admin's decisions, and throwing our (non-existent) weight around? It's not on. Admin doesn't need me to defend him, what I'm defending is the forum as it has been, and the way he has run it to date. He's courteous enough to ask our opinions on advertising by stealth or otherwise, but the hot air generated in response has been completely loopy.
I'd work on the good old basis of like it, lump it or b....r off, sorry!

I think we're all out of order - how can we sit here refereeing admin's decisions, and throwing our (non-existent) weight around? It's not on. Admin doesn't need me to defend him, what I'm defending is the forum as it has been, and the way he has run it to date. He's courteous enough to ask our opinions on advertising by stealth or otherwise, but the hot air generated in response has been completely loopy.

Not sure why you have quoted me on this. If you read back what I have said you will see that I am saying exactly the same thing as you....it's too difficult to make hard fast rules about this, so it's best left up to admin. In both cases admin let the post stay - it was the members who reacted differently in the two cases.
I used those two examples of how it's practically impossible to come up with a one-size-fits-all rule.
Sorry if I gave some other impression.:)

Sorry too if you felt I was trying to make an example of you - not the case. Just fear that all our mad meddling can only destabilise a forum I really benefit from and enjoy, let's please keep it as it is, we can usually see through those who are trying to take us for something, and equally respect the best who give a lot (and only sell when begged to!)

Really! Check out the profiles, there is a question of seniority here. You have been a member for less than a year and you are telling us how to do it and if we don't like it to bugger off! You with your 2 hives?

Greatbritishhoney - do you actually ever pause for thought. I have read through your posts and when I say this it is not meant to be hurtful or attacking but you remind me so much of something my old boss said at times. My old boss sums it up when he would say to his underlings - "What are you going on about - all I hear from you is problems and a rehash of what you have already said, over and over and over. You have not progressed us forward you have just spoken for the sake of hearing your own voice with your "yes .... but". Shut you're Butt and bring me solutions, if I dont agree with them, dont be offended, just be in awe that I am you're boss and if you were half as bright as me, I could be listening to this from you". I wish you had known my old boss. I really do.....

Really! Check out the profiles, there is a question of seniority here. You have been a member for less than a year and you are telling us how to do it and if we don't like it to bugger off! You with your 2 hives?

Seniority in post numbers and membership time Norton, not seniority in Authority with regard to the Administration of the forum. Surly there is only one authority there and that is Admin who owns the site.

Greatbritishhoney - do you actually ever pause for thought. I have read through your posts and when I say this it is not meant to be hurtful or attacking but you remind me so much of something my old boss said at times. My old boss sums it up when he would say to his underlings - "What are you going on about - all I hear from you is problems and a rehash of what you have already said, over and over and over. You have not progressed us forward you have just spoken for the sake of hearing your own voice with your "yes .... but". Shut you're Butt and bring me solutions, if I dont agree with them, dont be offended, just be in awe that I am you're boss and if you were half as bright as me, I could be listening to this from you". I wish you had known my old boss. I really do.....

Sorry, I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that I should shut up? Keep my opinons to myself? If so, perhaps it would be easier to just say it.

Sorry, I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that I should shut up? Keep my opinons to myself? If so, perhaps it would be easier to just say it.

Temptation is a wicked mistress hmmmm....

No I am just saying stop repeating yourself and if you have a suggestion to improve the situation make it, then shut up LOL

Storm: If someone swears at me then things are going to nasty.
Well its clear from the post that they were not swearing at you at all. Merely stating what their attitude to how the forum would be run, should they be Admin and the same situation arose re:advertising in usernames. So...... maybe something was lost in translation?

Temptation is a wicked mistress hmmmm....

No I am just saying stop repeating yourself and if you have a suggestion to improve the situation make it, then shut up LOL

Is that the way a forum works?
There was me thinking that everyone's opinion was as valid and as welcome as anyone else's and that they had the right to try to clarify what they had said if they felt someone had misunderstood.
Of course, sticking to your own rules you won't reply to this post because you've already said it.

Correct GBH I believe I made my opinion clear and therefore no need to belabour my point and fill up the thread with endless drivel which has neither merit nor solution. See, now your getting it!!! Yayyyy .........

Storm™;179480 said:
Correct GBH I believe I made my opinion clear and therefore no need to belabour my point and fill up the thread with endless drivel which has neither merit nor solution. See, now your getting it!!! Yayyyy .........

Please stop being so rude and trying to bait me into an argument. All I have done is offer my opinions, why don't you give us your opinions instead of rubbishing everyone else's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back