Commercial members usernames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should sellers change their username to something non-advertising ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • I love spam

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had a member contact me saying they think it unfair that they are not allowed to advertise on the forum or mention the product they sell yet some members have a commercial username such as "I-sell-bees" ect.

Should any members with a clue in their username to their business be forced to choose another username that does not try to circumvent the forum advertising policy ?

That would be a bit harsh if you include someone like Hivemaker who is a longstanding member who does not abuse the forum

is hivemaker the only member that has a that sort of screen name at the moment? it is a difficult one to answer as other members may say he has an unfair advantage if he is the only one, but as he has been a member since the start i dont see why he could be a special case.

All i can say is good luck mark with your decision as it will cause some friction amongst members what ever you decide.

All i can say is good luck mark with your decision as it will cause some friction amongst members what ever you decide.

Thats why I opened a poll,so the members can decide while I just act on the majority decision :blush5:

agreed. please note that i have not, as yet, charged the requisite "sausages" for saving people money on antihistamines.

It doesn't matter what their name is every one knows who does what. I think that it is a fine balance and I like the way the forum is at the moment. Not too commercial but enough information around so that if people are looking to buy some thing they know where to get it.

Whatever the rule is, fine by me as long as the same rule applies to everyone (which it doesn't seem to at present).

However, in your position Mark I wouldn't worry about user names. It's a fairly weak link to anybody's business and is meaningless without a bit of background knowledge.

My thinking

Why allow people to come on here make 1 post to offer something for sale, then dont contribute (posts) in any way to the forum then disappear.
I dont think Hivemaker (others do blatently) has ever advertised himself on here others have reccomended him, just as others have with t h o r n e s and many other sites.
This will be a right headache to sort out and could lead to this forum loosing lots of people with loads of knowledge.

Whatever the rule is, fine by me as long as the same rule applies to everyone (which it doesn't seem to at present).

This something I would really like to get sorted before next season.

It is one of the biggest headaches I try to sort out and I plan to start a thread so members can help with some ides to make if fare for everyone who tries to make a living from bees.

As I have said elsewhere in another thread. To me there is a big difference between starting a thread which says "I sell.......... " or "I offer this service ......." and the member who says "Has anyone got a queen they can sell me" or even "I am combining hives and will have 4 spare queens".

I suppose it is a question of degree for me. If the "advert" is for the mutual good of members helping one another out of a jam - as in the queen examples above then its OK by me. If however it is a blatant advert which appears to be purely for personal gain (no signs of helping another member out of a jam ) then it is wrong.

Maybe the Auction side of the site could be uses as a shop platform for the commercial members to sell their wares with maybe some commission to cover the costs of the site (cc charge costs, shopping basket etc). if a commercial member wants to sell through the site they set up a page on there. but no links to off site websites, only allowed to sell products on the site platform.

then if a member wants to buy something they then know where to go and it doesnt affect the forum. best of both worlds?

If however it is a blatant advert which appears to be purely for personal gain (no signs of helping another member out of a jam ) then it is wrong.

But there is a section entitled "Bees and honey for sale". There have been plenty of members using the sale of bees for personal gain, even though it's not their living.

Last edited:
Tough call, there have been things come up on the forum that i would never known about if they hadn't been posted on the forum, but then I don't want to see every other thread an advert....

But there is a section entitled "Bees and honey for sale". There have been plenty of members using the sale of bees for personal gain, even though it's not their living.

I know I carefully avoided reference to that because I have opposing views about it.

I see bees for sale as being in many ways the helping members out type of advert. If you need bees and can get them from a reliable friendly source i.e. a forum member then as I said I see that as helping out. Honey for sale I have never understood as I suspect most members have enough. However I suppose it could still come into the helping each other out category but probably not.

I would have thought the opposite. Anyone who operates commercially would be expected to declare an interest if the advice or comment is relevant to the business. Easier to see where any advice is coming from if it's in the name.

Is it more mportant to be consistent one way or the other than whichever way the policy is framed?

Just my take on it.:)

Last edited:
Beekeepers often buy honey from each other if they have commitments they can't fulfil any other way - sometimes you just have a poor season.

Admin, I wouldn't worry too much about user names as mentioned above, people don't seem to mind. Also with no background I did not know 'Hivemaker' made hives...I do now. And I do not mind... that is good to know.

I also do not mind people mentioning products in posts if helpful to other members, such as 'which mite treatment do you find best', or as also mentioned above 'bees for sale' sort of one offs.

I guess it is different when people start posting there company everywhere, just to gain business. Or they just come and do one post the disappear for ever, or just post ads. That we do mind. Shame on them!

Do you have a button for 'I do not mind' or is that the 'I love spam button'

drstitson, where can I post my sausages please? Cumberland or Newmarket? Ta. x

Latest posts

Back