Commercial members usernames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should sellers change their username to something non-advertising ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • I love spam

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
I'd leave things as they are. Deciding on what is commercial and what isn't will end up a world of pain and if people can't behave decently there are other ways to deal with them.

(And FWIW, I've never taken Hivemaker's name to be overtly commercial. Making hives is not the same as offering them for sale.)

James

why are we picking on Hivemaker ? I find his posts useful and from reading others comments on the forum he comes highly recommended ,I have never known him put himself forward blatantly advertising his wares, it is others pointing them in his direction, leave well alone you have in the past spotted advertising and blocked the content, it works so well with no complications .

I didnt think any one was picking on hivemaker but holding him up as an example as to why thing should not be changed. some one with lots of knowledge and experience freely shared for every one to benefit from yet some one who does not abuse the system imho

why are we picking on Hivemaker ? ...

Its probably because people don't have a clue what sparked all this off.

I think it was this http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14170
The thread starter's forum username is her business name, domain name, and is signwritten all over her car (I've seen it) ... she is certainly not shy of publicity for her business!

Two things.
The username is advertising the business name. (Hivemaker's isn't)
This user has posted a plain and simple advert for what she does for a living (I haven't spotted anyone else doing anything similar, presumably because they were deleted.)

I haven't a clue what (if any) business name Hivemaker uses. But Googling 'Hivemaker' indicates someone in Cumbria, not Exmoor.
His user name is not promoting a business name.

Thanks Itma

You are correct in what you have said above.

In regards to member Hivemaker: There would not be a forum without him.
Not only does he look after things when I am away but was also the person who pushed and kept me going when things got tough when we first started out.

In regards to member Hivemaker: There would not be a forum without him.

There might well be fewer beekeepers without him too, he's an incredibly helpful, patient, encouraging man. Didn't know he'd had such a hand in supporting the forum though, but it figures! Thanks, Hivemaker. :)

perhaps, taking up the Spartacus example, we could all change our user names to "WPFn" where n is an integer from 1 to 6451. that way no-one would know who was who BUT any regular forum reader would not dare to make a purchase in case they hit the real WPF!!!!

Maybe best let alone, with a note in the stickies to new forum members to bear in mind that not all potential suppliers are endorsed by the rest of us. They can always ask, after all. ;)

Brilliant answer and totally agree. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it. I don't pay attention to what people put in their usernames. I would post a question if I needed help In getting something. Usually that's what people do. Otherwise it would mean randomly asking people via pm, based on their usernames. I don't sell watches btw lol. I would have deleted your complaint Mark and pretended it didn't arrive lol. Hey, you can still do it!

Every other beek I meet these days is attempting to start a honeybee business!

I prefer the ,,,, I have something I want to attempt to sell you approach, rather than I keep bees... I could make you one of these... for a price... and then go on to rubbish every other perceived supplier in the area!!!

Just because you are called Hivemaker, that dosent mean you sell hives (even if you do) it means you make them ! I _sell_bees is different..

The thing I resent is the manner in which the post that triggered this thread blatantly abuses the ethos of the forum. If that is the sort of attitude the OP has, then the course is almost certainly not worth attending.
As far as the on-going question of advertising is concerned, I think the balance at the moment is about right. It is impossible to be totally even handed. The biggest problem is the amount of Admins time that it can potentially swallow.

:iagree:

As anyone can see, I advertise wildly and would object to having to change my user name.:willy_nilly:

Really struggling to see what is wrong with a post about a course going in the 2011 courses forum.

Is the issue simply that the OP is the one to benefit, in which case I must plead guilty to mentioning a beginner course run by our BKA which as a member of that association I have indirectly benefited from.

Perhaps someone could explain under what circumstances it is OK to mention a course, or indeed nucs for sale.

The post is potentially of interest to some people,and wasnt worded in a particularly commercial way. Furthermore I very much doubt the OP is going to give up the day job and rely on its income to retire with as it doesn't seem overy expensive and the market is somewhat limited.

:chillpill:

Really struggling to see what is wrong with a post about a course going in the 2011 courses forum.

For me, the conflict is out in the world too: there are people who are 'good' at self-promoting and selling themselves and their products or services, and there are those who are modest and quiet and trade on the hopes that word of mouth will advertise them sufficiently to get by.
As a (wicked) generalisation, the former are out to make money, the latter to carry on doing what they love to do, and to do it really well.
An example of the former is ........., and of the latter ..........
Who would you sooner supplied your needs?
Anyone got a problem filling in the dots? (no numeric value to them, btw).

Latest posts

Back