Carniolan Queen bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does this suggest early re queening is effective in maintaining desirable traits?

No.
The way I read these two articles is that they come to the same conclusion: Sperm are thoroughly mixed inside the queens spermatheca.
"We conclude that the sperm is mixed completely inside the queen's spermatheca."
and
"No significant changes in patriline distribution occurred within each of two foraging seasons, with samples taken one and five months apart, respectively."

for some strange reason, more of the eggs she lays will be fertilized by the africanized drone's semen than would be expected. This indicates that something is favoring the sperm of one drone over sperm from another.

Yes.
As I understand it, the africanized queens emerge 1 day earlier and run around killing all the other queens while they are still in their cells.
It isn't that the africanized drone sperm is "more efficient" but the queens emerge a day earlier. This gives them a distinct advantage in a colony containing both africanized and non-africanized queen cells.

Yes.
This gives them a distinct advantage in a colony containing both africanized and non-africanized queen cells.

If you want miracles, read about Cape honeybee..
The worker can lay diploid eggs. From these diploid eggs they can rear cape queen. So they conquer the scutellata hive and act like parasite.

Scutellata queens conqure European beehives, and Africanized hives are genuine scutellatas, because genuine scutellata queens emerges first.

No.
The way I read these two articles is that they come to the same conclusion: Sperm are thoroughly mixed inside the queens spermatheca.
"We conclude that the sperm is mixed completely inside the queen's spermatheca."
and
"No significant changes in patriline distribution occurred within each of two foraging seasons, with samples taken one and five months apart, respectively."

I read them as coming to somewhat different conclusions.

The quote you have used just says there was no significant change within two different foraging season, not over the whole year or period of the study.

For example Figure 2 and the last line of the paragraph
'Patriline distributions differed significantly between each pair of years.'

Last edited:
Ok. Thats interesting. Two quotations from the same paper drawing opposite conclusions. Very strange!

Not really, if you look at the graph.

One suggests there is no change over the two foraging seasons sampled and the other suggests a gradual change over a longer period.

it's not really very convincing research.

Latest posts

Back