Live package bees from Western Australia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its lovely if you cut into thin strips and deep fry it ... you've never lived till you have tried it.
I have loads growing. I usually roast it with chicken, potatoes garlic and lemon juice. I'm definitely going to try frying it now.

It seems to be a NO from this lot!
Seems like you've opened a hive and a sh***y colony leaps out at you from the frames!
Beware of the little bu***rs who try to go into your boots and into your cuffs!
How are the bees? You have much of a flow at the moment?

I have loads growing. I usually roast it with chicken, potatoes garlic and lemon juice. I'm definitely going to try frying it now.
A sprinkle of sea salt as it comes out .. delicious. I'm not a great fan of greens (a relic from the boiled cabbage we got served up at school dinners and my mum who used to put the sprouts on to boil for Xmas about the end of September - both left me greenily scarred) but I've found creative ways of reintroducing green things to my diet ... sprouts fried with garlic and panchetta or just with smoked bacon ... salad leaves shredded with shredded carrot and shredded beetroot with a dressing. Pickled red cabbage. Lollo Rosso changed my perception of lettuce...I'll never be a total fan of greens but I'm coming round to tolerating them in moderation and modified.

A sprinkle of sea salt as it comes out .. delicious. I'm not a great fan of greens (a relic from the boiled cabbage we got served up at school dinners and my mum who used to put the sprouts on to boil for Xmas about the end of September - both left me greenily scarred) but I've found creative ways of reintroducing green things to my diet ... sprouts fried with garlic and panchetta or just with smoked bacon ... salad leaves shredded with shredded carrot and shredded beetroot with a dressing. Pickled red cabbage. Lollo Rosso changed my perception of lettuce...I'll never be a total fan of greens but I'm coming round to tolerating them in moderation and modified.
That's how we like our sprouts, it's nice to throw some chestnuts in there too. If you like Thai food. Thai salad is delicious. Traditionally you would use papaya but I make it Thai style salads using shredded unripe pear/mango, shredded carrot, peanuts, small tomatoes, chopped raw green beans, optional chillies, and the very important Thai ingredients - sweet, sour, salt, that would be a little sugar, lime juice and fish sauce.

I think WA is.more like 12,000 miles away

Small Hive Beetle is present throughout Oz, but it thrives in the tropical belt. Go north 100, 200 miles and it becomes a controllable problem... but it's still there.

British bees don't have much Italian (aka Ligurian) in them unless they're Buckfast. We have weather, not climate - Italians don't thrive here unless heavily managed, fed in forage gaps etc.

Even treatment-free hives, like mine, have some varroa. The bees keep the numbers down - that's for another debate, but the 3 mites I found on the baseboard of a booming colony the other day would be 3,000 in a hive of Australian bees. Varroa are everywhere here, like SHB in Oz.

Oh yes, and Canada has some SHB, so they will be relaxed about importing more. I don't think it thrives there, but people have remarked upon it because if it can hang on in Canada, it can definitely survive our winters. We'd originally hoped Britain would be OK with SHB, and Asian Hornet, because the winters would kill them... not looking likely now.

Bees are going great this winter . Still laying strong with nectar and pollen coming in .Going to be a great year
G
Our bees are very good this year.,Have kept breading over the winter months on good nec

tar nd polfrlen

I think WA is.more like 12,000 miles away

Small Hive Beetle is present throughout Oz, but it thrives in the tropical belt. Go north 100, 200 miles and it becomes a controllable problem... but it's still there.

British bees don't have much Italian (aka Ligurian) in them unless they're Buckfast. We have weather, not climate - Italians don't thrive here unless heavily managed, fed in forage gaps etc.

Even treatment-free hives, like mine, have some varroa. The bees keep the numbers down - that's for another debate, but the 3 mites I found on the baseboard of a booming colony the other day would be 3,000 in a hive of Australian bees. Varroa are everywhere here, like SHB in Oz.
Small hive beetle is not present in Western Australia south of Broome , 2000 klms north of Perth .This I why we can send package bees to Canada .

Latest posts

Back