Live package bees from Western Australia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westausthoney

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello Fellow beekeepers

The Western Australian beekeeping industry is investigating the potential for supplying package bees to the UK in April and May

Western Australian bee genetics are Old English black bee and golden Italian. Similar to the UK .Are very good honey producers with Western Australian beekeepers having the highest production per hive in the world.

Live package of 4 pound bees and mated queen is expected to be available , deliverd to the UK for 200 GBP

Distributioen through stablished beekeeping businesses offering package bees is preferred.

In 2011 a post in a thread here stated that 'packages from Australia have now been banned because of the risks of accidentally importing Small Hive Beetle into the UK'.

Cannot (quick look) find legislation that supports this, but what are the current regs at your end, WestAusHoney?

In 2011 a post in a thread here stated that 'packages from Australia have now been banned because of the risks of accidentally importing Small Hive Beetle into the UK'.

Cannot (quick look) find legislation that supports this, but what are the current regs at your end, WestAusHoney

Western Australia y?

No thanks. Not needed, we have our own excellent breeders with a smaller carbon footprint involved and no chance of mistakenly sending us hive beetle

Western Australia does not have small hive s. Keep it local. All the best

Western Australia does not have Small hive beatle

Our bees have gone to Canada for nearly 20 years r

And I was prevented from taking a small jar of honey in to Australia as a gift! Keep your bees I say

Cannot (quick look) find legislation that supports this, but what are the current regs at your end, WestAusHoney?

Western Australia does not have Small hive beatle

Our bees have gone to Canada for nearly 20 years r
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/plant-biosecurity/small-hive-beetle-declared-pest
Specifically:

Small hive beetle in Australia​

In Australia, small hive beetle has been detected in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia's Kimberley region (which includes the Local Government Areas of Broome, Derby-West Kimberley, Wyndham-East Kimberley and Halls Creek). The rest of Western Australia remains free of this pest.

Your region of western Australia may be free for now, but will it always be? We want Small Hive Beetle about as much as you want varroa. Why take any chances? Australia certainly doesn't

Last edited:
And I was prevented from taking a small jar of honey in to Australia as a gift! Keep your bees I say

Honey can be imported into Western Australia as long as it has been heat treated .

Bees with no exposure to varroa?

Wonder how they would fare?

Bees with no exposure to varroa?

Wonder how they would fare?

Specifically:

Small hive beetle in Australia
In Australia, small hive beetle has been detected in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia's Kimberley region (which includes the Local Government Areas of Broome, Derby-West Kimberley, Wyndham-East Kimberley and Halls Creek). The rest of Western Australia remains free of this pest.

Your region of western Australia may be free for now, but will it always be? We want Small Hive Beetle about as much as you want varroa. Why take any chances? Australia certainly doesn't

Specifically:

Small hive beetle in Australia​

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately for you, there are other safer options if we were to need packages in the UK.
Perhaps when Australia opens up their markets for British Honey or Queens we might be a tad more receptive.

Spread of diesease and pests should be prevented at all costs, why send bees half way around the world when they can be sourced locally or from the EU.
As for being good honey producers I can't complain when my local hybrids have produced over 200lbs this year from one colony and others over a 100lbs.

Last edited:
The Western Australian beekeeping industry is investigating the potential for supplying package bees to the UK in April and May

Live package of 4 pound bees and mated queen is expected to be available , deliverd to the UK for 200 GBP

Forgive me for asking, but - are you hoping to get a lions share of the UK live bee market and thus put our own local, well known and trusted bee suppliers - your perceived competition, out of business?

Call me a cynic if you wish! I would agree with you if you do!
If this goes ahead, I can see Australian bees flooding the UK market.
Our current UK bee producers would be forced out of business causing the UK to then rely on Australian and other imports.
This will radically increase the chances of undesirable diseases and pests being introduced to the UK.
Then, either an economic downturn or legislation suddenly prevents Australian (and other) bees reaching the UK.
Where does that leave us when we need honey? Oh yes!, lets now completely forget keeping bees and just
import Australian honey!!
No thank you!!

Australia is a vast rambling country. In comparison the UK is a close knit community.
Stick around on this Forum and you will see that for yourself!

Why on earth should anyone want to send bees halfway around the world unless it is to 'Corner the market' and put your competition out of business? It certainly won't be for altruistic purposes.

We, my family buy as much as we possibly can from local shops and ONLY buy online items we CANNOT purchase locally. We know we pay a little more but we are supporting the local shops and businesses which we NEED.

The phrase "Use it or Lose It" is very apt.

The UK has already lost too much production to other cheap foreign imports!

As has already been suggested to you by others here - go and peddle your bees elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back