What would you have done?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

I’d be very interested in people’s comments on a recent situation as to whether I behaved like a prima donna or correctly. It has been quite upsetting.
I shall explain.
Several weeks ago I was asked to give a talk to my local BBKA branch association’s beginner’s class on the beekeeping year. A quite difficult talk, as in what to elaborate in detail and what to mention but not elaborate on (queen rearing for example). I’d already decided that varroa control would be a central theme throughout, as in ignore varroa at your peril. This winters losses suggest I wasn’t far out.
I was due to give the talk tomorrow night, so imagine my surprise when the course organiser (the associations education officer) rang me up on Friday and said “I’m unhappy about your talk” (I’d sent them handouts to print out). More specifically this person was not happy about me talking about vaporization of Apibioxal as a method of varroa control. From a rather heated conversation it was quite obvious he had a severe prejudice (or ignorance) about a perfectly legal method of varroa control that is used by many.
I refused to not give the talk unless I was able to inform all the students of all the different methods of varroa control, including vaporization of oxalic acid (apibioxal). When pressurized further as to whether this was acceptable I was told they no longer wished me give the talk.
I have since resigned as I cannot be part of a BBKA association whose own education officer restricts the information that beekeepers are given based, presumably, on their own prejudices.
Was I morally correct? Or am I overreacting like a prima donna?

I am not so sure it is legal, though happy to be corrected.

PH

I am not so sure it is legal, though happy to be corrected.

PH

Api-Bioxal is approved by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1059

Database is here: https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/ProductInformationDatabase/Default.aspx

Oxalic acid isn't approved.

The BBKA doesn't operate this side of the pond but from what I've read on here I'm rather glad it doesn't as it seems to be inhabited by dinosaurs. The fact they aren't willing to let beginners know something which is so fundamental is worrying.

Last edited:
Was I morally correct? Or am I overreacting like a prima donna?

Presumably, you were invited to present what you do, rather than someone's idea of a theoretical "ideal". I would make it clear that you are talking about what you do. The audience can make their own mind up whether they agree with you, or not.

Presumably, you were invited to present what you do, rather than someone's idea of a theoretical "ideal". I would make it clear that you are talking about what you do. The audience can make their own mind up whether they agree with you, or not.

I'm not now talking B+......they refused to let me talk unless I removed everything about vaporization of OA as a method of varroa control. I wasn't prepared to do that.

Are we talking about local / branch officers, or national ones?

If local, take it up with National.

If National .... well, walk away and join a different organisation.

I presume that you included PPE and risk of inhalation without it. Pre api bioxal the NBU's stance was anti vaporisation, not sure on their stance now. That is probably the reason why the education officer doesn't want you to mention it. Why an association wants to vet everything, inhibits its membership. I was once told that one unnamed person in BIBBA only wanted to show one style of queen rearing.

Their education officer is just plain wrong. Apibioxal is licensed to vape but unless you protect your vaporiser it will ruin it. Foil lining anyone?
Only you can answer whether you need to walk away from an organisation due to them censoring you.
I agree that their education officer probably has an IQ comparible to Donald Trump.

As Anduril said PPE is important but you have that if trickling Apibioxal anyway.

Last edited:
I note that under
B) Posology and method of administration by vaporisation
the document refers to one treatment per year.

Nigel, you have often mentioned that you vape a colony several times over a period. Is there any scientific evidence that vaping a colony several times a few days apart is harmless or harmful to the bees in any way. I imagine there must be some downsides to it as there is with most medications

I personally don't vape as I find trickling effective enough without the expense of buying the gadgetry , wearing effective masks or risking breathing the stuff in but would not discourage others from doing so.

My association often invites people with controversial or nonconformist ideas as speakers (eg natural beekeepers, let alone beekeepers, tree huggers, vegans who think beekeepers are cruel etc) as they stimulate debate. I think debate is good as it gets people to think and discuss instead of accepting everything blindly as the only ways to do it.
However I can remember how 50+ yrs ago there were heated arguments at meetings over the choice of hive (WBC versus National) and whether to have their combs arranged warm or cold way!

Last edited:
In my experience most talks I have attended usually have a caveat along the lines of ' this is what I do and I am not telling you what you should do '.

Most talks tend to be based on personal experiences and results and knowing you I am sure you will have a studied approach to it and will be recording your results so being able to understand the outcomes.

I get the feeling one of those little Elf n Safety gremlins put a spanner in the works in case some person gases themselves and blames the association. Can you claim against the same association for anaphylactic shock from a bee sting..?

You are not a Prima donna although you can be a drama queen at times :ohthedrama: :laughing-smiley-014

Beefrienfly is the Arnonld Swarzenecker of the bee world. Let them feel it. We support you.

The chairman says his hands are tied??
Sounds as though someone has too much say-so in your local association's committee.
- Something which readily happens when not enough people are doing the work in a small organisation.

Latest posts

Back