First 'inspection'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont use gloves if you can, but only if you think you can keep calm if you do get stung.
I only started doing it because i have big clumsy hands and gloves just make matters worse. have done most of this years inspection without and only received 1 sting in anger, 2 more because i crushed/squashed them enough to feel threatened.
Got more removing the tree swarm!!

yes the girls run around the back of my hand and stand on my fingers giving me meaningful looks, but have noticed that it has helped me be a lot calmer and considerate during inspections as you feel more connected to what you are doing. and they can punish you for your mistakes.
the only down side i can see is getting you hands clean of propolis after.

Dont use gloves if you can, but only if you think you can keep calm if you do get stung.
I only started doing it because i have big clumsy hands and gloves just make matters worse. have done most of this years inspection without and only received 1 sting in anger, 2 more because i crushed/squashed them enough to feel threatened.
Got more removing the tree swarm!!

yes the girls run around the back of my hand and stand on my fingers giving me meaningful looks, but have noticed that it has helped me be a lot calmer and considerate during inspections as you feel more connected to what you are doing. and they can punish you for your mistakes.
the only down side i can see is getting you hands clean of propolis after.

I stopped doing gloveless inspections when I found my fingers started looked like I was a 60 -a-day fag smoker. Bugger to clean propolis off your hands.

Leave the welding gloves for apiary visitors (makes you look very heroic !) Use a pair of marigolds with nitriles on top ... get some Olbas Oil and rub a few drops onto your hands once you have gloved up. Enough feel to handle the frames and still feel the bees and no more stings to your hands. The bees move away from the smell of Olbas Oil (there are other products that have the same effect but I find Olbas Oil works well for me.)

You sound as though you have some quite unfriendly bees...If double gloves and repellent oils are needed for an inspection.
I find the few stings I take these days are accidents often when I've trapped a bee under a frame lug. Even some of my F2 nightmares rarely sting through a nitryl glove....no grip or purchase for their legs so they cannot force their sting in to you.
Only problem this weather is the amount of perspiration that accumulates inside the gloves

You sound as though you have some quite unfriendly bees...If double gloves and repellent oils are needed for an inspection.
I find the few stings I take these days are accidents often when I've trapped a bee under a frame lug. Even some of my F2 nightmares rarely sting through a nitryl glove....no grip or purchase for their legs so they cannot force their sting in to you.
Only problem this weather is the amount of perspiration that accumulates inside the gloves

No .they are pretty good temperament. They are garden hives so I can't afford to have bad tempered bees around and I wouldn't tolerate bees that sting for no reason.

Most of the time I just have a pair of nitriles on and the Olbas oil - but I do find that they tend to fall apart, as they get stuck up with propolis, leaving bits of skin exposed .. I'm not a macho - let them sting me I don't care - I'd rather not get stung if I can help it.

On the few occasions when they are tetchy the marigolds plus nitriles stop any stings going through - although my usual tack would be to shut them up and come back another day but ... there are times when you HAVE to look through an awkward colony and if they ARE going to sting then the two layers stops them penetrating to my skin.

... Only problem this weather is the amount of perspiration that accumulates inside the gloves

I have a small tub with odourless chalk. If I need to change gloves, I dip my hands in the chalk. That helps getting on the next pair of latex or nitrile gloves.

You need to ask for a mentor from your association, in addition I would advise going to apiary visits, where you visit other members apiaries if your association organises it. I haven't removed drone cells for 5 years.

I have a small tub with odourless chalk. If I need to change gloves, I dip my hands in the chalk. That helps getting on the next pair of latex or nitrile gloves.

Interesting...sounds better than my current method of waving my hands around till dry.

It's a good tip! carry un-perfumed Talk for speedy glove swaps or between apiary glove swaps, it drives me mad fighting with moist hands and nitrile gloves :)

You need to ask for a mentor from your association, in addition I would advise going to apiary visits, where you visit other members apiaries if your association organises it. I haven't removed drone cells for 5 years.

......................................................:winner1st::cheers2::hurray::yeahthat:

Most of the time I just have a pair of nitriles on and the Olbas oil - but I do find that they tend to fall apart, as they get stuck up with propolis, leaving bits of skin exposed .. .

You are using the cheap gloves that fall apart at anything. I use a long cuffed variety (you only get 50 to box, but extra tough). So tough you can pull Duct tape off them without tearing them (usually....). I find I can get several re-uses out of them. Just blow inside out let dry, reverse and wear again.
Of course they cost more (about £10 a box including postage).....which could be a problem for some beekeepers.

Last edited:
I stopped doing gloveless inspections when I found my fingers started looked like I was a 60 -a-day fag smoker. Bugger to clean propolis off your hands.

Carex Aloe Vera Hand Gel https://tinyurl.com/y39tayvm

Squeeze half a tube on hands: massage around a bit - wipe off with paper cloth. Hands clean..

I started having only done a theoretical course. It's not ideal but that's life. Just take your time and don't get stressed (I sing a bit if I think I'm getting hot and stressed - it controls your breathing). Read loads and make up your own mind how you are going to do things. It'll be a learning curve for a few years yet. Enjoy it.

Interesting...sounds better than my current method of waving my hands around till dry.

Since posting I got worried about the difference between chalk and talc and baby powder. I'm still not sure - but I've been using 'French chalk/talc' from Tirantis (because that's what I had at home). Its health and safety leaflet says it's harmless.

Latest posts

Back