Wax foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linoleum bonypart

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Was told by my local assc. that they've been advised of a 30% hike in retail price next year ....

Why is that good news,

Well, if it were honey prices that were going, so that beekeepers made more money, they would be happy, so i figure it is the same with other bee related products, in this case... beeswax.

Last edited:
Well, if it were honey prices that were going, so that beekeepers made more money, they would be happy, so i figure it is the same with other bee related products, in this case... beeswax.

Exactly every beekeeper should not undersell themselves and get the maximum amount for a quality product.

From what i have read when i joined the forum honey production is down this year on average for the 1 to 4 hive type of people and many more , so sticking the price up on any hive product is Bad NOT good, but then again who am i to argue.

Last edited:
so sticking the price up on any hive product is Bad NOT good

Maybe, many seem to be selling their honey for quite high prices, so maybe a reduction in the price of honey would help to sell more.

Perhaps start a honey price war on who can sell the cheapest.

Maybe, many seem to be selling their honey for quite high prices, so maybe a reduction in the price of honey would help to sell more.

Perhaps start a honey price war on who can sell the cheapest.
You might be onto a winner there. but i doubt it would work.

My meaning is as a beginner why try to rip folk of when they are in a big learning curve, i my self and many others are clueless and trying to learn ten fold, these companies must be over the moon with us ever growing new bee keeper's, who don't have a idea at what they buy.

i my self and many others are clueless and trying to learn ten fold, these companies must be over the moon with us ever growing new bee keeper's, who don't have a idea at what they buy.

With regards beeswax and honey, you don't buy it, the bees produce it and you sell it, hence my "excellent" comment about the price of wax going up, so hopefully sell it for more.

You might be onto a winner there. but i doubt it would work.

I bet it would, the winners would be those that payed the customer some money to take their honey off their hands.

Last edited:
Linoleum bonapart: Being in East Yorkshire you should be able to take part in the YBKA bulk buying scheme and purchase foundation at very favourable rates.

I may have misunderstood some of your comments my old Guru.

But it still peisses me of when folk stick the prices up if someone is doing good..

Got bugger all to do with someone doing good. Most of the producers of foundation buy from beekeepers and there is much less wax around this year so they are having to pay more for it.

you might need a bit of a reality check on what it takes to turn the crud filled block you take to your beekeeping supplier to what it looks like when u take away the nice smelling wire impregnated pack of sheets of foundation.

Maybe pop down and see KBS bee supplies near Hastings in East Sussex and see how difficult it is and also how much it costs him to produce the wax foundation.

sorry rant over.

I have done masterBK but also being a newbie I'm not sure how much I'm going to need but I like hms idea..make sure all you bk sell the wax for 30% more...I don't think I'd send a crud filled wax block in all honesty

There are other resources for beeswax, think the www but be careful of some asian countries, there are some countries who offer organic wax, you just need a foundation press. don't let the big companies dictate the prices on a whim.

In the recent past there was at least one supplier here in Ireland selling "foundation" which was refused by the bees. In most cases they refused to enter the supers and if they did it was to ignore the frames and build between them. What it actually was I don't know, possibly it was of plant or animal origin.
It was sourced in the UK, so caveat emptor.

Back