Thickness of homemade foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
So just tried to make my own foundation with a silicone mould. I’m not too upset with results but they are thicker than standard foundation.
Is this going to be a problem?
Does thick wax foundation have an effect on bee space and cell size?
Am I over thinking this?😁

Thanks for help

BE

Over thinking!
I don't think an extra half mm depth to a cell will make an iota of difference, unless you are thinking of selling cut comb or you have made a half inch slab of foundation
Thank you. That’s what I wanted to hear.
The first few runs have been cut into starter strips for wired frames.
I’ll give the big sheets a go now🤣🤣

I can't imagine you've cast foundation that is more than 1 - 1.5 mm thick. ? Some of mine is that thick and the bees don't seem to mind.
Some is 'lacey' (?) with holes but they fill them in. Experiment with the temperature of the molten wax.

Yes, the homemade sheets are heavier than bought-in. Not a problem.

I entered some cut comb at the county show but it included some of the starter strip. Didn't do well!! Was inedible. Good job I didn't try to sell any. :D

I can't imagine you've cast foundation that is more than 1 - 1.5 mm thick. ? Some of mine is that thick and the bees don't seem to mind.
Some is 'lacey' (?) with holes but they fill them in. Experiment with the temperature of the molten wax.

Yes, the homemade sheets are heavier than bought-in. Not a problem.

I entered some cut comb at the county show but it included some of the starter strip. Didn't do well!! Was inedible. Good job I didn't try to sell any. :D
thank you. I cut the lacy bits off. Maybe will try again at slightly hotter do as to make it run more.
Thanks again

thank you. I cut the lacy bits off. Maybe will try again at slightly hotter do as to make it run more.
Thanks again
I find that the lacy bits are actually caused by the wax being too hot rather than not hot enough. The wax is so runny that it runs away and doesn't get moulded into the hexagonais. Yes it is thicker and the bees take to it well - I think they move it around when making the cells. Even if they don't when you get to the point that you recycle it for making new foundation you get it back. Same as storing comb wet over the winter. When you give them the frames back in the spring it gives them a boost and they are on the combs very quickly. However, for cut comb I buy in the thin foundation - it works well.

I find that the lacy bits are actually caused by the wax being too hot rather than not hot enough. The wax is so runny that it runs away and doesn't get moulded into the hexagonais. Yes it is thicker and the bees take to it well - I think they move it around when making the cells. Even if they don't when you get to the point that you recycle it for making new foundation you get it back. Same as storing comb wet over the winter. When you give them the frames back in the spring it gives them a boost and they are on the combs very quickly. However, for cut comb I buy in the thin foundation - it works well.
Thanks again. My plan is to only use it in brood frames. I’m planning to wire some then use the foundation as starter strips

Hi BIG ears.

Well done for starting to make your own foundation. Don't know what you use to heat your wax in, but I use an electric fryer which is deep enough for quite a lot of wax, but it's main benefit is that you can adjust the temperature and work out a temp that's ideal to pour and get best results. Try not to melt in a pan and "guesstimate" the temperature.

Hi BIG ears.

Well done for starting to make your own foundation. Don't know what you use to heat your wax in, but I use an electric fryer which is deep enough for quite a lot of wax, but it's main benefit is that you can adjust the temperature and work out a temp that's ideal to pour and get best results. Try not to melt in a pan and "guesstimate" the temperature.
I’m using a ban Marie from thorne so it is a bit guesstimate probably

Biggest problem I found using a mold was the sheets come out very brittle.I now make plain sheets and warm them and use a piece of pipe to roll them it makes the sheets thinner also more flexible.Bees dont mind plain sheets they draw them out just the same.
I know rolling made them flexible so wondered about rolling in the mould.

I’m using a ban Marie from thorne so it is a bit guesstimate probably
Just buy a Kilner jam pan thermometer,
fb.jpg

it will clip neatly to the side of your bain marie, bring the wax up to about 70°C and you're set

Hi
So just tried to make my own foundation with a silicone mould. I’m not too upset with results but they are thicker than standard foundation.
Is this going to be a problem?
Does thick wax foundation have an effect on bee space and cell size?
Am I over thinking this?😁

Thanks for help

BE
What mould did you use? Have thought of having a go with a mould for a while now. I've made flat sheets using a piece of wood as a former, but the sheets cool to a brittle, unusable sheet that crack and break too easily.

What mould did you use? Have thought of having a go with a mould for a while now. I've made flat sheets using a piece of wood as a former, but the sheets cool to a brittle, unusable sheet that crack and break too easily.

Using a roller on the wax allegedly makes it more pliable. I've never tried it though. I decided it was less hassle to buy unwired sheets of brood foundation and use them as starter strips.

James

I’m using the Thorne silicone mould. Works ok. I’m only making starter strips at the moment but plan to make full sheets and hot wire them in once I get better at it🤣

There is a really good video by Tim Rowe (way out west) on YouTube which shows rolling flat sheets of wax making them pliable.

Here’s the link

BE

I’m using the Thorne silicone mould. Works ok. I’m only making starter strips at the moment but plan to make full sheets and hot wire them in once I get better at it🤣

There is a really good video by Tim Rowe (way out west) on YouTube which shows rolling flat sheets of wax making them pliable.

Here’s the link

BE

Brilliant BE. Thanks!

Here’s the link

BE

That's the video I used, but still comes out brittle. Might give the moulds a go.

Latest posts

Back