Building national super to David Cushmans plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all.
Hoping you can help me with my question.I have just made my first super according to the cutting list provided by David .The outside box height is 150mm ,the internal height of the front and back panels are 126mm .He states that these need to be set up 9mm from the baseline.My query is 150mm -126mm-9mm =15mm .The frame lugs are 10mm thick so leaving 5mm .I intend to use castellated frame spacing as I have inherited this on my second hand hives and have frames to suit this .The dimensions of my other supers vary, so I cannot use these measurements with any degree of being correct .On my evening class I was told that the frames should be flush with the top of the box I can fix the strips to achieve this but would have a 5mm gap below the lug ,is this okay regarding propolis build up ,or do I sit them on top of the inside panels thereby having a 5mm gap above the Frames .The problem with the latter is the bee space becomes large with a added super on top .David does not give clear dimensions on the plans for the top
I intend to try using the castellated frames for my first season to see how I get on ,majority of beekeepers say use Hoffman style .I just would like to have your thoughts on this before I fix the strips and make more as I need them for my hives ,I could extend the internal dimensions for future ones if you think that is required .
Many thanks in advance
John

Set the castellations to the top of the box. This will give 5mm below rhe frame lugs and stop the bees propolising the lugs to the top of the inside wall of the super.

If in further doubt, John, email Roger Patterson, who was bequeathed Dave Cushman's website after Dave died.

Roger's email is on the Wisborough Green BKA website.

http://www.wgbka.org.uk/Contact_Us.html
HI Eric Beaumont
I sent Email to Roger and he kindly replied very quickly .The design is suitable for all spacing methods .The frames have always been the same size
. About 5mm gap under the lugs is OK. I have many boxes that vary, as they have come from several sources. Anything up to about 10mm is OK. In theory, with bottom bee space hives, the frames are level with the top of the box, but I use castellated spacers in all boxes and make them 2-3 mm below. This allows for propolis build-up during the summer.
So I am happy to continue making the supers ,thanks again one and all for their input very much appreciated .
John

HI Eric Beaumont
I sent Email to Roger and he kindly replied very quickly .The design is suitable for all spacing methods .The frames have always been the same size
. About 5mm gap under the lugs is OK. I have many boxes that vary, as they have come from several sources. Anything up to about 10mm is OK. In theory, with bottom bee space hives, the frames are level with the top of the box, but I use castellated spacers in all boxes and make them 2-3 mm below. This allows for propolis build-up during the summer.
So I am happy to continue making the supers ,thanks again one and all for their input very much appreciated .
John
I expect Roger's rapid reply was due to being forwarned by this conversation. He often pops in here to keep an eye on things 😂

Here are some metric plans reduced to A4 best to re enlarge to A3 to see them better. Thay might help

Attachments

• Bee Hive 1.jpg
    Bee Hive 1.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 1
  • Bee Hive 2.jpg
    Bee Hive 2.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back