Using standard Supers with Abelo 12 frame poly (top bee space)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drones got stuck in the upper queen excluder. Just wondering I should cut out some of the plastic bars to allow them to pass through.
did you have an upper entrance? if not, absolutely no point in having an upper QX, same goes for cutting away some of the bars - no point in having one in that case

If the supers are British Standard Nats then to go on top of an Abelo Broodbox surely the easiest thing is to put a 15mm bead of wood all around the bottom of your first super to bring it to the Abelo box footprint. You just need one super per hive as the rest of the supers will follow the smaller National footprint.

look’s like they will work together?
Yes, but to achieve that match a QX must be put between wood box and 12-frame box to avoid double beespace beween boxes. Another negative is that 12-frame boxes need a dummy board, whereas the 11 box does not.

These bits of kit must be made or bought, stored, cleaned and carried, all of which costs money and labour, and if there is one truth in beekeeping it is that simplicity and commonality of equipment makes work easy, for beekeeper and bees.

The design detours of the 12 box are a cul-de-sac in my view, because a 12th frame is a micro advantage and neither here nor there to a booming colony. At that stage, another box is needed.

Maximising the return on a tomato is comparable, in which product profit is maximised by diversifying the plain item: chopped tinned, chopped tinned with herbs, tomato puree, puree with garlic, passata, passata with - well, you get the idea.

Where this analogy differs is that all these products can be used together to produce pleasure, but try mix'n'matching hives and the only pleasure will be at Abelo, who will have achieved the sale.

Last edited:
Asking the question in the title is like an acceptance that, in a 12 frame Abelo, you chose the wrong box. ;)

Asking the question in the title is like an acceptance that, in a 12 frame Abelo, you chose the wrong box. ;)
Really, fyi I didn’t choose to mix wood with poly. I was simply trying to assist the OP having watched the BMH review illustrated on the Abelo site which demonstrated that there was compatibility between the boxes of the 12 frame national poly hive and wooden national boxes.
Did you watch the video? Thought this forum was to share info for the benefit of other members and that’s what I was trying to do.
So there was no question in the title, it’s not my original question. If you read the whole thread you will see I was just offering a suggestion for the OP.

Really, fyi I didn’t choose to mix wood with poly. I was simply trying to assist the OP having watched the BMH review illustrated on the Abelo site which demonstrated that there was compatibility between the boxes of the 12 frame national poly hive and wooden national boxes.
Did you watch the video? Thought this forum was to share info for the benefit of other members and that’s what I was trying to do.
So there was no question in the title, it’s not my original question. If you read the whole thread you will see I was just offering a suggestion for the OP.
You've taken offence without me even referring to you when (FYI), I was just trying to be a smartarse regarding the title of the thread.
The fact that there is a video that shows that what you were helpfully describing to @Rob H as being possible is irrelevant to my comment, which whilst aimed flippantly contains truth.
The forum is meant for us to help each other and one of the ways we do that is by offering opinions. Unlike many people here, when I do that I try to do so gently and accompanied with my own, pathetic form of humour; on this occasion that obviously jarred with you. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back