Going rate of Nucs and colonies this spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VAT is not applicable to the sale of bees as they are livestock. No VAT is applicable to the travel box as this is required to "safely and humanely transport" the bees to their final destination.

Last edited:
VAT is not applicable to the sale of bees as they are livestock. No VAT is applicable to the travel box as this is required to "safely transport" the bees to their final destination.
You are wrong, as with selling a jar of honey the jar carries VAT the honey does not

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
You are wrong, as with selling a jar of honey the jar carries VAT the honey does not
you may, as the packer, pay VAT when purchasing the jars (whether VAT registered or not), but you cannot charge VAT (even if you are VAT registered) on the honey filled jar

Last edited:
Last seasons Cheshire beekeepers auction had correx nucs going for £300.
Last years Lincoln Auction had them £100-130. Prior to the nucs full hive were selling around the £100 mark. In 2022 at Lincoln we bought two full hives one for £60 and another in a brand new hive with super for £95.

A few years ago I offered two colonies free bees via the local association - bees on frames only, 11 frames. I stressed I wanted to help new starters or folks in need.
Both were snapped up quickly.
Yes that’s the risk you take. I used to offer spare queens but found that most of them were killed despite my entreaties to make sure the colonies were queenless

Achievable price for hobbyist selling nucs depends on a number of factors. Location, colony loss over the previous winter and availability of nucs for sale in the spring. for example, spring auctions prices vary considerably based on this. Seen 6 frame nucs go for under 100 to over 250 on different years at local auctions.

For private sale, you can always advertise high and drop down / expand to full hives of they don't sell.

Commercial sellers fix a price to achieve a reasonable return on their time invested

you may, as the packer, pay VAT when purchasing the jars (whether VAT registered or not), but you cannot charge VAT (even if you are VAT registered) on the honey filled jar
I agree, but I think the rule is that a temporary essential containers such as a correx box are considered packaging and do not attract VAT but if you were to sell the bees in a new Nuc or hive then, if you are registered for VAT, you have to charge VAT on the box, but not on the bees. If the bees have been kept in a Nuc or Hive over winter then that box would be considered 'used goods' and would still attract VAT but, presumably, on the value of the box at the point of sale.

There have been some discussions where the VAT registered seller suggested that the whole of the purchase price was the bees and the new poly nuc they were in was provided free of charge and therefore was free of VAT. However, I don't think that would hold water with the VAT man.

Latest posts

Back