Does foundation matter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Thanks :)

The experiment has concluded.

Here is the photo. The beeswax is fresh cappings wax from leatherwood and manuka honey from the forest. It's probably amongst the finest wax in the world.

Only two of the blocks in the photo have been heated to 150c in my newish fan forced electric oven for 30 minutes (which time started only once they were melted). The other blocks were more gently heated, on an earlier day, at below 85c.

Which ones are the
The two on the right top and bottom

I don't buy foundation, but if I did I'd be looking for something that said it was sterilised. Something like this https://beekeeping.co.uk/pages/sterilised-wax-foundation
I have some of that and would not like to use it for cut comb, not because its provenance is in doubt, but because it is at least twice as thick as necessary.

Mean to contact NBS and ask why, given the potential, has the material been used so wastefully as to make it unsuitable for purpose.

Here is the photo. The beeswax is fresh cappings wax from leatherwood and manuka honey from the forest. It's probably amongst the finest wax in the world.

Only two of the blocks in the photo have been heated to 150c in my newish fan forced electric oven for 30 minutes (which time started only once they were melted). The other blocks were more gently heated, on an earlier day, at below 85c.

Which ones are the two highly heated blocks?
On the far right - top and bottom block. I am only saying this as they look a shade darker.

Which ones are the two highly heated blocks?
Interesting.

2 comments; Firstly, the lovely capping you had in the first place don't reflect the quality of wax exchanged in the UK (by observations and the fact that anyone making candles is going to use capping for that); Secondly, with scale up the time of exposure to >100C is going to significant longer getting to 150C as the thermal transfer wont replicate small volumes

Interesting.

2 comments; Firstly, the lovely capping you had in the first place don't reflect the quality of wax exchanged in the UK (by observations and the fact that anyone making candles is going to use capping for that); Secondly, with scale up the time of exposure to >100C is going to significant longer getting to 150C as the thermal transfer wont replicate small volumes
Yes.
It was giving off a fair bit of vapour as it sat on the bench before going into the mold! Would have deep fried a chip.
This photo shows another comparison. Hopefully it's much easier to see the difference in this photo. The stuff that looks like an old bicycle seat is actually some beeswax from my wax dipping vat (heated multiple times with lots of bits of dead bees and propolis in it - some boxes dipped for the second time). I'd call that a darker style wax. The wax next to it is the original cappings wax.

Attachments

• IMG_20240313_151158455_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240313_151158455_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Some of that wax could be from cheap foundation that has been drawn out in the first place from who knows where. I can't see how you can sell premium wax when you don't really know the source

Latest posts

Back