Test burns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Tonight I've done some test burns of rolled candles using different wick sizes. Can anyone give me some pointers as it all looks much of a muchness. At 1h 30, the 5cm high regular test candles each still have around 2cm left to go and look fairly similar despite three different wick sizes being used. The only difference seems to be the length of wick that is burning.

At the same point, the three 5cm candles using the same wicks and cut comb foundation had burned out within five minutes of each other.

Does it matter which I employ from now?

How do I determine which is 'best'?

Left to right = smallest to largest wick size for the remaining regular foundation candles.

20231124_214002.jpg

At the start is below:
LHS is cut comb, RHS is regular. Closest is largest wick size.
20231124_202307.jpg

Tonight I've done some test burns of rolled candles using different wick sizes. Can anyone give me some pointers as it all looks much of a muchness. At 1h 30, the 5cm high regular test candles each still have around 2cm left to go and look fairly similar despite three different wick sizes being used. The only difference seems to be the length of wick that is burning.

At the same point, the three 5cm candles using the same wicks and cut comb foundation had burned out within five minutes of each other.

Does it matter which I employ from now?

How do I determine which is 'best'?

Left to right = smallest to largest wick size for the remaining regular foundation candles.

View attachment 38214

At the start is below:
LHS is cut comb, RHS is regular. Closest is largest wick size.
View attachment 38215
The wick should be small enough that it doesn’t burn the sides of the candle before the middle, which results in wax running down the sides (there is some evidence of that on your tray) while being large enough that it does burn the whole width of the candle and doesn’t leave high walls allowing the wick to drown in the centre. Flame size can be influenced by wick size (diameter/width) but also by other factors - for example more influence by trimming (length) in my experience.

With rolled candles the tightness of the roll has a significant influence on the diameter of the overall candle and the wax density, hence also on the size of wick needed. The thin foundation was presumably the same width and height, and thus had substantially less wax to actually burn (would make a narrower candle if rolled to the same density, but I suspect the embossing means it rolls to a lower density).

If you do your test burns make sure there are no draughts. If there is the slightest draught then the flame will veer from the centre and the wax on the leeward side will melt away in the closer flame. Even if you get it perfect the chances are that the buyer won't have a draughtproof house so does it really matter. So long as you have the wicks central when you cast your candle you have done your best.

The wick should be small enough that it doesn’t burn the sides of the candle before the middle, which results in wax running down the sides
having too small a wick can cause snotting as well, so you really need to experiment before deciding which size to use

Latest posts

Back