Quantcast

Candle making advice

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Apple 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Wax need to be really really cleaned.. passed through at least 3 lint clothes without leaving any residue... and not heated over 67.5 degrees C
This from the chap who made the Queen's jubilee candles

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I'd rather follow Paddy Padmore's advice, and that of the recently departed Dinah Sweet 70 degrees is the best temperature. So far it's got me 3 NHS Commendations, a blue ribbon and the Royal Welsh silver rosebowl for best wax in show twice

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Wax need to be really really cleaned.. passed through at least 3 lint clothes without leaving any residue... and not heated over 67.5 degrees C
Yes ... our association has had him over twice ~ Andy Willis of Southampton Beekeepers.... His lecture on cleaning wax is a master class. He uses flanellette sheets for cleaning the wax and the Queen's Jubillee candles (he was commissioned by the Guild of Wax chandlers to make them) had the wax they were made from filtered about 10 times from memory.

Here's his method for wax cleaning.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Yes ... our association has had him over twice ~ Andy Willis of Southampton Beekeepers.... His lecture on cleaning wax is a master class. He uses flanellette sheets for cleaning the wax and the Queen's Jubillee candles (he was commissioned by the Guild of Wax chandlers to make them) had the wax they were made from filtered about 10 times from memory.

Basically Padmore's system

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'd rather follow Paddy Padmore's advice, and that of the recently departed Dinah Sweet 70 degrees is the best temperature. So far it's got me 3 NHS Commendations, a blue ribbon and the Royal Welsh silver rosebowl for best wax in show twice
We'll turn you into a Master Beekeeper yet, JBM ;)

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Can relate to that, I cleaned mine twice over water (ladled off the top wax) then filtered twice through j cloths and still had a little debris in the base on my dipping tube when I emptied it.

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Great result!

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives

Thanks v useful

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have

Latest posts