Candle making advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wax need to be really really cleaned.. passed through at least 3 lint clothes without leaving any residue... and not heated over 67.5 degrees C
This from the chap who made the Queen's jubilee candles

I'd rather follow Paddy Padmore's advice, and that of the recently departed Dinah Sweet 70 degrees is the best temperature. So far it's got me 3 NHS Commendations, a blue ribbon and the Royal Welsh silver rosebowl for best wax in show twice

Wax need to be really really cleaned.. passed through at least 3 lint clothes without leaving any residue... and not heated over 67.5 degrees C
Yes ... our association has had him over twice ~ Andy Willis of Southampton Beekeepers.... His lecture on cleaning wax is a master class. He uses flanellette sheets for cleaning the wax and the Queen's Jubillee candles (he was commissioned by the Guild of Wax chandlers to make them) had the wax they were made from filtered about 10 times from memory.

Here's his method for wax cleaning.

http://www.southamptonbeekeepers.co.uk/index_files/notes/wax.pdf

Yes ... our association has had him over twice ~ Andy Willis of Southampton Beekeepers.... His lecture on cleaning wax is a master class. He uses flanellette sheets for cleaning the wax and the Queen's Jubillee candles (he was commissioned by the Guild of Wax chandlers to make them) had the wax they were made from filtered about 10 times from memory.

Basically Padmore's system

I'd rather follow Paddy Padmore's advice, and that of the recently departed Dinah Sweet 70 degrees is the best temperature. So far it's got me 3 NHS Commendations, a blue ribbon and the Royal Welsh silver rosebowl for best wax in show twice
We'll turn you into a Master Beekeeper yet, JBM ;)

Can relate to that, I cleaned mine twice over water (ladled off the top wax) then filtered twice through j cloths and still had a little debris in the base on my dipping tube when I emptied it.

Thanks v useful

Can someone confirm this hasn't been adulterated by you know who?
Looks just like the original to me (compared it to my copy) If in doubt, I believe the original is still available on the NHS site somewhere

Hi there
having a go at hand-dipped candles as well as new cylinder moulds this year. Does anyone know why lines develop across the candle, when dipping? See photo attached, I made a few yesterday to try out different wick sizes for a burning test before i launch into making more. I'm trying to keep the beeswax about 75C- 80C max. I'm dipping 2-4 times, then cooling for about a couple of minutes then rolling between parchment paper on a smooth solid surface. But the lines still appear. You can see from the photo attached my first attempts (3 candles on the right), then got better (2 candles on left), but can't seem to get really smooth. Any tips please?

Also new problem with my moulds, I got a few small bubbles in the candle, any tips how to avoid these? See photo

Appreciate any advice from experienced candle makers!
Thanks
Elaine
The choice of wick has a lot to do with fast/ slow burning candles. Search for a wick guide for Beeswax candles. also, the wicks should be 100% cotton and not wax coated.

The choice of wick has a lot to do with fast/ slow burning candles. Search for a wick guide for Beeswax candles. also, the wicks should be 100% cotton and not wax coated.
Thornes wicks are probably one of the best I’ve used so far and there info on sizes is easy to understand and simple not like some that have stupid letters and numbers for the wick size, keep it simple inches/metric is fine.

Back