Mouldy Multicolour Comb!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunky Plumpy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello,

I think I might be getting off to a rather bad start to my keeping. I received my nuc two weeks ago, it is my first ever nuc/bees so I am very much a newbie but still I think I might be somewhat unlucky to find myself here asking for help before I have even posted an introduction in the other forum!

I don't know as I'm a novice but by virtue of the nuc containing 6 frames with only 3 of them having any brood or stores, I'd guess it was a small nuc. Nonetheless it looked well and in only a few hours of orientation I was able to transfer to a brand new WBC hive. They seemed very happy buzzing in and out and I now know the queen has been very busy, but I also now know that there is mould or something looking like it going on two frames:

m2.jpegm3.jpegm4.jpeg

The first two images are each side of the same frame, the third is a frame from the other end of the nuc as there are what appear to be 4 very nice and full/busy frames in the centre of the hive. It 'looks' like the bees brought the mould into the hive and deposited in these frames as they have been growing and using the frames in the first two weeks. I thought this simply because I had to go away for 4 days and during that time the syrup feeder was depleted but there was black mould around the edges. I didn't think bees would take that into the hive, would they?

Whatever happened the syrup feeder was obviously removed/cleaned but during first inspection I found the above, and I have absolutely no idea what to do or really why this might have happened. Can some one please offer me some ideas as to:

1) Why I have what appears to be mould on two frames?!
2) What should I do about it?

I have done nothing but check the hive, which is immaculate as it is new, and the bees which otherwise look great and probably twice the number in only two weeks. If you zoom into the third photo you can see plenty of larvae so queeny is certainly doing here thing. I've tried to give the short history and all I can think of to help explain the situation... anyone got any idea what has happened or what I should do?

Thank you!

Attachments

• m1.jpeg
    m1.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 16
LOL, I went on a two day course which I watched listened and learned intensely, then had a refresher before I got my nuc... and in all that time I never read anything about mould nor did I see images of such colourful frames!!

Thank you for the quick reply, and the reassuring replies at that. I did intend to leave them in for the bees as I hoped they would clean them up, but I'm a much happier noob knowing I didn't crash and burn in only 14 days!

Thank you both, CP.

First off who did you buy the nuc from. It’s generally poor form selling a nuc with partial drawn frames, unless the price was cheap and it made clear. I’ve also seen nucs sold that are just swarms chucked in a box! Secondly taster type days or courses are just that, do some reading and find a local group with any luck running some practical courses or days. Pollen recognition is rather basic and there is work involved in managing bees………Ian

First off who did you buy the nuc from. It’s generally poor form selling a nuc with partial drawn frames, unless the price was cheap and it made clear. I’ve also seen nucs sold that are just swarms chucked in a box! Secondly taster type days or courses are just that, do some reading and find a local group with any luck running some practical courses or days. Pollen recognition is rather basic and there is work involved in managing bees………Ian
I think Chunky has had the bees for two weeks so these are probably the frames he put in.

Thank you Ian and Erichalfbee for your replies.

Evident from my original post I’m clearly a novice albeit I have attended courses for 3 days which included practicals; no idea how I missed the bit on pollen so shall swiftly move on!!

As a noob it would be unfair of me to ‘name and shame’ the trainer and supplier of the nuc who is the same person. The courses were very informative and with the practical element it gave me the confidence to start bee keeping. That was after a couple of years deliberation so surely a good thing?

As for the nuc, who am I to know but I thought I might have gotten a Friday afternoon special. I have of course added 4 frames to fill out the brood box so they are brand new but before you say, the 11th didn’t fit for some reason despite 11 new frames being in there after construction. It suggests the ones from the nuc were larger or plimmed. I’m making a dummy board or custom frame to fit so all shall be well on that front.

However, three of the original frames looked like they came out of the Ark, 3 looked like those in my new hive. In fact one was so clean it was impossible to tell which was the old from new after I put them in the brood box were it not for the order they went in.

I paid full price, £250, for an over winter nuc which arrived at the start of June. Some say that’s rather late, some say it happens, some are bold enough to say I have a split from this year… but surely whatever the reason that horse has bolted.

I shall do my best and bring them on as a healthy hive. Sun is out, queen is busy and the workers enjoying their new surroundings so with the blackberries and hawthorn coming out I’m hoping they flourish.

I’ll keep you all posted, as clearly this is the first place I’ll return if things don’t go to plan!!!! Lol

Thanks for all the replies, at the moment all looks well and I’m just enjoying the start of my bee adventures. Cheers, CP.

Thank you Ian and Erichalfbee for your replies.

Evident from my original post I’m clearly a novice albeit I have attended courses for 3 days which included practicals; no idea how I missed the bit on pollen so shall swiftly move on!!

As a noob it would be unfair of me to ‘name and shame’ the trainer and supplier of the nuc who is the same person. The courses were very informative and with the practical element it gave me the confidence to start bee keeping. That was after a couple of years deliberation so surely a good thing?

As for the nuc, who am I to know but I thought I might have gotten a Friday afternoon special. I have of course added 4 frames to fill out the brood box so they are brand new but before you say, the 11th didn’t fit for some reason despite 11 new frames being in there after construction. It suggests the ones from the nuc were larger or plimmed. I’m making a dummy board or custom frame to fit so all shall be well on that front.

However, three of the original frames looked like they came out of the Ark, 3 looked like those in my new hive. In fact one was so clean it was impossible to tell which was the old from new after I put them in the brood box were it not for the order they went in.

I paid full price, £250, for an over winter nuc which arrived at the start of June. Some say that’s rather late, some say it happens, some are bold enough to say I have a split from this year… but surely whatever the reason that horse has bolted.

I shall do my best and bring them on as a healthy hive. Sun is out, queen is busy and the workers enjoying their new surroundings so with the blackberries and hawthorn coming out I’m hoping they flourish.

I’ll keep you all posted, as clearly this is the first place I’ll return if things don’t go to plan!!!! Lol

Thanks for all the replies, at the moment all looks well and I’m just enjoying the start of my bee adventures. Cheers, CP.
Lovely, balanced response. Good luck with your bees.

LOL, I went on a two day course which I watched listened and learned intensely, then had a refresher before I got my nuc... and in all that time I never read anything about mould nor did I see images of such colourful frames!!

Thank you for the quick reply, and the reassuring replies at that. I did intend to leave them in for the bees as I hoped they would clean them up, but I'm a much happier noob knowing I didn't crash and burn in only 14 days!

Thank you both, CP.
Others have covered the topic of pollen colours but my concern revolves around "two day courses" With the best will in the world beekeeping has such a wide range of facets and knowledge requirements I seriously doubt the wisdom of giving a beginner two days or even a third day of tuition and expecting them to know how to keep bees. Selling them a colony straight away and leaving them to flounder doesn't fit with my ideas of what's good for either the student or the bees. Business is business I suppose but apart from handing over 250 pounds for the nuc what did you pay for the course?
Thank goodness you have found this forum as it does contain proficient/ competent beekeepers willing to give advice but even with this support you really need a competent mentor. Maybe you have someone close by who could fit the bill and be willing to help?

I cannot see much honey in frames. Feed sugar syrup to bees. So they can draw combs better and they make some stores to the hive. Dilute 3 kilos sugar to water 1:1 and feed it.

I certainly have found the right place for guidance. Thank you all!

@Gilberdyke John , I also asked the chap who supplied the nuc, as obviously I was having a little panic, and in fairness he gave the same reassuring “pollen” confirmation. I certainly haven’t been left stranded after the course nor after taking deliver of my bees but I shall be trying to find a mentor near me for sure. Until then a good friend attended the same course and already had bees albeit for only one year. They have a 30+ year veteran beekeeper mentor so whilst I seek my own Bee Jedi they are a year ahead and have experience on-tap; I have also found BKF :)

I completely agree with all the comments and take them all onboard, it is just a little unfortunate that my initial blunder was such a belter as I don't think I'm a lost cause despite first impressions. @Finman you are correct in your observation but that was of two specific frames with "mould" on LOL. I do in fact already have 1:1 syrup to promote a little growth plus frames between 'those of which I shall not speak' containing stores such that they can drip honey if I do not take care to turn then correctly. The hive was also tiny having started with only 3 frames really, so I'm actually quite pleased that I was concerned about the 'new' 5th and 6th frames in the first 12-14 days; I think they are doing well so with a bit of 'compound interest' the hive should grow nicely.

At this point I'm just thankful all is okay, and like @Swarm said, if I continue to read, listen and learn then with support from BKF I shall have a nice first hive... my OCD wouldn't allow odd numbers which means I actually have a second WBC assembled ready for next year!! :oops:

Why not work with the good friend you mention? When I went on a course twelve years ago I met someone who lived near me. He got bees, and put them in my garden. We worked them together, and have continued to to this as the number of hives and the number of apiaries has increased. It makes the inspections into more sociable events. We talk through our problems, and two pairs of eyes helps in queen-spotting. We split the costs and if we ever make a profit split that too.

@thorn that is actually how it all started. A friend joined me on the course and I have inspected his bees a couple of time before getting my own plus had many a discussion as he successfully split his hive this year, which doubled as a bit of swarm control. Unfortunately we're not quite close enough but my neighbour is also a novice bee keeper, two years in, so we can talk albeit he's having a less successful time.

I think it wise I try to find other sources of information/experience to compliment our small bee keeping community, hence me joining the forum, and why I think another mentor with experience shall help me; in turn I can pass on what I'm learning.

I think that was a long winded way of saying, I completely subscribe to your suggestion and rest assured I'm on the lookout for a bee-buddy. Cheers, CP.

Latest posts

Back