Heather 2022! Extraction advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the screw vs spinner has been discussed on here previously. When choosing I was guided by the late Hivemaker's post on the matter.
Find them perfect for ordinary honey/comb/cappings but not very good for heather, so use a spinner/centrifuge for that, one bought via Swienty.

Cappings Screw Press

I think he had more experience than most on the matter.
I also know that ITLD, who certainly has more experience, than pretty much anyone, when it come to heather honey finishes his extraction process with a centrifuge. So even though capping go through a screw first the honey is still passed through a centrifuge to filter.
My ideal would be to copy this on a small scale with tangential/swing frame extraction and a screw to deal with capping and cut outs, followed by centrifuge to final filter. However I could not justify the expense of both a screw and a spinner. As both would have utility with capping other than heather there was little to choose between them for me in the end it was the fact that the honey coming out of the screw would still need filtering that swayed me to the spinner. Admittedly the basket on the centrifuge will probably need to be emptied regularly enough to slow the process down the I feel that is a good enough trade off to have a good level of filtration.

I know the screw vs spinner has been discussed on here previously. When choosing I was guided by the late Hivemaker's post on the matter.

I think he had more experience than most on the matter.
I also know that ITLD, who certainly has more experience, than pretty much anyone, when it come to heather honey finishes his extraction process with a centrifuge. So even though capping go through a screw first the honey is still passed through a centrifuge to filter.
My ideal would be to copy this on a small scale with tangential/swing frame extraction and a screw to deal with capping and cut outs, followed by centrifuge to final filter. However I could not justify the expense of both a screw and a spinner. As both would have utility with capping other than heather there was little to choose between them for me in the end it was the fact that the honey coming out of the screw would still need filtering that swayed me to the spinner. Admittedly the basket on the centrifuge will probably need to be emptied regularly enough to slow the process down the I feel that is a good enough trade off to have a good level of filtration.
I recently saw a vacuum strainer in use for final filter of heather. The person who showed it to me had converted a fairly inexpensive Thorne filter bucket with another fitting on the side at the top of the bucket that could be attached to an old vacuum. The vacuum created then pulled the heather through the filter in no time. Going to make one for next season, heather filtering and filtering blends can be v slow

I recently saw a vacuum strainer in use for final filter of heather. The person who showed it to me had converted a fairly inexpensive Thorne filter bucket with another fitting on the side at the top of the bucket that could be attached to an old vacuum. The vacuum created then pulled the heather through the filter in no time. Going to make one for next season, heather filtering and filtering blends can be v slow
i was wondering how your 2022 extraction has gone on. Did you make a vacuum filter or plump for the cappings spinner?

i was wondering how your 2022 extraction has gone on. Did you make a vacuum filter or plump for the cappings spinner?
I was given one (vacuum filter) but have taken the tack of warming heather if filtering was needed. Have pressed pure heather this season using a manual press (long sticky job) and loosened heather blends and spun out using a new swing cage extractor which worked well but a lengthy process. Doing research on a hydro press for next season.

I scraped down to the midrib of the frames and made a vacuum filter (heath robinson style) which worked much better than a press. The resultant wax was still quite wet, which I have fed back to the bees.

The process wasn’t actually that bad, and I no longer fear the bees bringing in heather :)

I have only had to contend with heather honey over the last two years, and suspect it is going to be a regular thing now. My bees went and found the heather somewhere, rather than me taking them.

A number of BK‘s in our branch have reported the same and I am thinking that as a club we should invest in a cappings spinner rather than an agitator/swing cage extractor/screw.

I saw a brief discussion on another thread, but would appreciate anyones views on what would be the most suitable “portable” solution for an association to loan out

I saw a brief discussion on another thread, but would appreciate anyones views on what would be the most suitable “portable” solution for an association to loan out
Depends on the number of supers your average member is going to process
Either
A honey press (either hydro or screw) and associated kit
Or
A manageable tangential extractor (swing cage or whatever) and an Abelo hand held heather loosener - used correctly it's pretty effective

I have tangential screens for my 20 frame extractor which then takes 4 deeps or 8 shallow frames and a hand held loosener which works ok. I also have a lyson cappings spinner which is faster and less of a chore but does obviously result in a lot less drawn comb available at the start of next season, so when I factor in the time taken to clean and rewax (or replace)the frames there is probably very little in it. Out of the two if i was recommending pool kit for an association I would go for the loosener and extractor over the spinner as it is easier to transport (spinner weights a ton) and much easier to clean and maintain. My only experience of pressing it out was many years ago my Dad using a cast iron fruit press that was very slow and very messy.

I was given one (vacuum filter) but have taken the tack of warming heather if filtering was needed. Have pressed pure heather this season using a manual press (long sticky job) and loosened heather blends and spun out using a new swing cage extractor which worked well but a lengthy process. Doing research on a hydro press for next season.
I use a hydro press for heather and it's pretty effective. The frames are thoroughly warmed and the press is lined with a brewing filter bag. Honey comes out surprisingly clean. Would help if the whole thing was heated as the cold water in the bladder does cool things down quickly. Next time I might see if I can connect it to the hot tap rather than the outside.
The pressings are fairly dry and the whole lot goes into the konigin steam melter.

Latest posts

Back