Beekeeping Association Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BKA has pots of money sitting in the bank (over £14k at AGM before last with less than 100 members) which I try to get them to use for the benefit of the members - but the committee refuse and continue to add to the pile and tell me that they still believe they are working for the members best interests rather than the bank. Got loads of insurance cover and still don't move. Crackpot comes to mind having been in the business of money management for most of my working life.
A BKA near me has £110k in the bank which is around 6x its annual spending. It's kind of absurd.

BBKA is a charity so I presume all local BKAs are also.

This means they are subject to UK charities law. Which is quite particular about what funds are kept. As far as I recall it is illegal for charities to just hang on to money. Something along the lines of they are allowed to hold a certain minimum amount in reserve for running costs but anything else kept has to be for specific projects and there's got to be a written record of what it's being kept for and why.

Suggest you have a look through the Charities Commision site and UK charities law if you want to get some ammunition to 'persuade' them to spend some of that money or end up in hot water.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CAkQAQ&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0u6eN5ha8IP4zOp7JwYbZt[/URL]

This means they are subject to UK charities law. Which is quite particular about what funds are kept. As far as I recall it is illegal for charities to just hang on to money. Something along the lines of they are allowed to hold a certain minimum amount in reserve for running costs but anything else kept has to be for specific projects and there's got to be a written record of what it's being kept for and why.

Suggest you have a look through the Charities Commision site and UK charities law if you want to get some ammunition to 'persuade' them to spend some of that money or end up in hot water.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CAkQAQ&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0u6eN5ha8IP4zOp7JwYbZt[/URL]

In theory you may be right (though "illegal" is not quite the right word).

In practice, the Charities Commission doesn't have the time or resources to enforce stuff like this - it barely keeps up with fraudulent charities and the like. There are plenty of charities in the UK stuffed with far more cash than they need, it's just the nature of the beast.

It's not my BKA anyway, so I'll leave it to the members to work out.

I have to say, although I'm a member of my local association I've never even considered borrowing extraction equipment from them. Having to organise in advance when I want to extract and book out an extractor, particularly at the same time of year as everyone else is just too much trouble for me.

One thing I might be tempted to borrow from time to time is a hive lifter. Have you considered getting one for the association? If there's just one of you, and you have to move a heavy hive(s) any distance it can be a daunting prospect, and always involves more disruption of the bees than I would like. The basic hive lifters tend to cost in the hundreds but look like they'd make life quite a bit easier. I'd never need one frequently enough to make it worth the price though.
Thanks for replying, that’s a good idea and one I will add to my list for further discussion at our next meeting.

Suggest you have a look through the Charities Commission site and UK charities law if you want to get some ammunition to 'persuade' them to spend some of that money or end up in hot water.
Over 4 years ago, when I became aware of noises that BKAs were eligible to register as charities, and that dozens, including the one that I had recently resigned from (see later), were already in the process of doing so and could offer advice/help, I wrote to the then Secretary of my new/current BKA and suggested we should take the opportunity to register and thereby be able, inter alia, to reclaim VAT paid on any outgoings. The - almost verbatim - immediate response was that registering would mean electing Trustees and that would be too much for the then present committee to handle. In short FO and don't be a nuisance. The same applies to when I raised the issue at my present BKAs AGM 2 years ago of all the sterile and growing cash pile cash sitting in the bank doing absolutely nothing for the benefit of the membership rather than the bank itself.
To clarify the above. I had to resign from my previous more local BKA when the President shouted out in front of the whole AGM that I was "TROUBLE" over a personal issue between him and me. That BKA is registered, my present BKA won't. Frankly, with a wife with alzheimers and being her sole carer with little or no help at my advanced age of 87 I really have more on my plate than 'teaching idiots to suck eggs' any more. Now, today I need to sort out Standard Life Assnce Co over the personal pension fund my wife has. TROUBLE TROUBLE BOIL AND BUBBLE. Thank the lord I have now sorted out all the POA, Attendance Allowance, Council Tax issues for the moment. Just need some companionship for wife and self but isolation and whatnot renders that unavailable atm. Sad old bugger really? :sick::sick:

Over 4 years ago, when I became aware of noises that BKAs were eligible to register as charities, and that dozens, including the one that I had recently resigned from (see later), were already in the process of doing so and could offer advice/help, I wrote to the then Secretary of my new/current BKA and suggested we should take the opportunity to register and thereby be able, inter alia, to reclaim VAT paid on any outgoings. The - almost verbatim - immediate response was that registering would mean electing Trustees and that would be too much for the then present committee to handle. In short FO and don't be a nuisance. The same applies to when I raised the issue at my present BKAs AGM 2 years ago of all the sterile and growing cash pile cash sitting in the bank doing absolutely nothing for the benefit of the membership rather than the bank itself.
To clarify the above. I had to resign from my previous more local BKA when the President shouted out in front of the whole AGM that I was "TROUBLE" over a personal issue between him and me. That BKA is registered, my present BKA won't. Frankly, with a wife with alzheimers and being her sole carer with little or no help at my advanced age of 87 I really have more on my plate than 'teaching idiots to suck eggs' any more. Now, today I need to sort out Standard Life Assnce Co over the personal pension fund my wife has. TROUBLE TROUBLE BOIL AND BUBBLE. Thank the lord I have now sorted out all the POA, Attendance Allowance, Council Tax issues for the moment. Just need some companionship for wife and self but isolation and whatnot renders that unavailable atm. Sad old bugger really? :sick::sick:

Shame you're not closer this way.

"Nil Desperandum Illegitimi Carborundum, Never Let The Bastards Get You Down"

Thanks for replying, that’s a good idea and one I will add to my list for further discussion at our next meeting.
Just for clarification, I know several others have posted images of sack barrows, converted wheelbarrows etc. but I was thinking more of a proper hive lift that allows you to raise and lower a hive, as well as transport it.
With a sack barrow or wheelbarrow/trolley you've still got to lift the hive onto it, which, when you've got a large/heavy hive (double brood, or supers on), you can't do on your own, or without doing it bit by bit and disturbing the bees.
Whist there are electric hive lifts available with huge price tags, there are also manual ones that are much more reasonably priced:

I was thinking more of a proper hive lift that allows you to raise and lower a hive, as well as transport it.
With a sack barrow or wheelbarrow/trolley you've still got to lift the hive onto it
So was I - you still need to lift your hive onto one of these things and I certainly wouldn't want to transport a hive on on any distance over uneven ground - looks a heck of a lump to move even before putting a hive onto it.

So was I - you still need to lift your hive onto one of these things and I certainly wouldn't want to transport a hive on on any distance over uneven ground - looks a heck of a lump to move even before putting a hive onto it.
You actually don't have to lift the hive onto it. That's the difference

I'll believe that when I see it in the real world.
You still have to drag it back to your vehicle though
Obviously it depends on your situation and what type of beekeeper you are. I'm certainly not going out and buying one tomorrow, and even if I did have a a few hundred pounds I could freely spend on one I wouldn't without an honest review from someone I trust, or a hands on go myself. Common sense on any purchase I would think.
However, from the videos I've seen, of this, and other similar hive lifts, I wouldn't be writing one off without at least finding out more first as it looks like it would solve a lot of my problems.

Just for clarification, I know several others have posted images of sack barrows, converted wheelbarrows etc. but I was thinking more of a proper hive lift that allows you to raise and lower a hive, as well as transport it.
With a sack barrow or wheelbarrow/trolley you've still got to lift the hive onto it, which, when you've got a large/heavy hive (double brood, or supers on), you can't do on your own, or without doing it bit by bit and disturbing the bees.
Whist there are electric hive lifts available with huge price tags, there are also manual ones that are much more reasonably priced:

Gosh, makes it look v easy! Wonder if it would work on polyhives (is the poly strong enough to withhold the forces?) and WBC (assuming outer lifts were removed)?
I carry my WBCs with a buddy, carrying sedan chair style with 2 planks through the legs. Works well especially if have to navigate any steps, equally v nervous about carrying any distance e.g. if a stumble happened!!
Food for thought, thanks again

"Nil Desperandum Illegitimi Carborundum, Never Let The Bastards Get You Down"
Never do and always win = except with the BKAs I have been a member of. Have given up on them - just pay membership fee and nothing else.

Latest posts

Back