Beekeeping Association Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing you might consider is equipment for making foundation. A decent size double boiler and a foundation press. Although I don't use foundation I have one similar to this I picked up from a company in Lithuania for about £40 and it really works quite well. You might canvas your members to see if any of them would be interested in making foundation from their own wax ? Our association has one (somewhere) but I've never been able to track it down ... one of our members has one and we bring that out and make foundation at the Bees and Honey weekend we run every year at a local model farm.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...09895324494bc9baf81ba3863a6&afSmartRedirect=y
Thankyou, v helpful suggestions.

depends on how much individuals in the association are already equipped, but could include uncapping trays (either heated or not), filter sets and settling tanks?
Care is required when hiring out electrical items particularly as it could come under the p a t regulations to ensure safe condition of same !

In addition I've just bought one of these on Alibaba Express... Took a couple of weeks to arrive but looks exactly like the picture and well made.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001056695656.htmlI can't comment personally on how good it is as I have't used it yet but it has some excellent reviews in the USA where it retails for at least $150 ... mine including shipping came in at £37 so for that price it was worth a punt. I've always used a knife or uncapping fork but it takes time compared to the look of this uncapping plane.

I can't resist a gadget so I've just ordered one: £38.50 + VAT = £46.25. Delivery inc.

I can't resist a gadget so I've just ordered one: £38.50 + VAT = £46.25. Delivery inc.
Be a little careful some of those heated uncapping knives can overheat or have hot spots. Normally why there’s a price difference between models/manufacturers!!

Be a little careful some of those heated uncapping knives can overheat or have hot spots. Normally why there’s a price difference between models/manufacturers!!
There is a lot of stuff on its use ... it can get too hot if you leave it switched on when it is not in use... the recommendation is to switch it on and off to regulate the temperature and there is an in line switch to permit this. I'm looking at adding an ST 1000 controller to see if that will work to set a constant temperature ... this has a 5" copper blade ... its a planer not a knife - so the heated surface is much smaller than a knife. It's going to be a while before I can try it out but will review when I do.

My BKA has pots of money sitting in the bank (over £14k at AGM before last with less than 100 members) which I try to get them to use for the benefit of the members - but the committee refuse and continue to add to the pile and tell me that they still believe they are working for the members best interests rather than the bank. Got loads of insurance cover and still don't move. Crackpot comes to mind having been in the business of money management for most of my working life.

A BKA near me has £110k in the bank which is around 6x its annual spending. It's kind of absurd.

They did not charge me any VAT when it arrived by post from China ... and the one I found on alibaba express was only £32.35 before postage ?

Ah ... I see now .. they have put the price up but now include postage ... you might get lucky with the Vat....

I have to say, although I'm a member of my local association I've never even considered borrowing extraction equipment from them. Having to organise in advance when I want to extract and book out an extractor, particularly at the same time of year as everyone else is just too much trouble for me.

One thing I might be tempted to borrow from time to time is a hive lifter. Have you considered getting one for the association? If there's just one of you, and you have to move a heavy hive(s) any distance it can be a daunting prospect, and always involves more disruption of the bees than I would like. The basic hive lifters tend to cost in the hundreds but look like they'd make life quite a bit easier. I'd never need one frequently enough to make it worth the price though.

I have to say, although I'm a member of my local association I've never even considered borrowing extraction equipment from them. Having to organise in advance when I want to extract and book out an extractor, particularly at the same time of year as everyone else is just too much trouble for me.

One thing I might be tempted to borrow from time to time is a hive lifter. Have you considered getting one for the association? If there's just one of you, and you have to move a heavy hive(s) any distance it can be a daunting prospect, and always involves more disruption of the bees than I would like. The basic hive lifters tend to cost in the hundreds but look like they'd make life quite a bit easier. I'd never need one frequently enough to make it worth the price though.
Stan and I often move heavy hives.
Two looped ropes going under the hive with a stout pole each side works a treat.
You have the added advantage of not disturbing the bees much over uneven ground.

JBM found this ... I bought one ... perfect size for a hive and some supers ...

https://www.charlesbentley.com/charles-bentley-200kg-foldable-sack-truck-trolley.html
However, it was a cracking promotion deal and at £49.99 has already been well worth the cost.

Nice looking bit of kit Philip but it wouldn't get across the ruts in the fields where my hives are. Are yours on the patio? 😂
No ... I would not get away with that ' er indoors would have a hissy fit... they are round the corner in the garden but I've used it over the lawn taking some very heavy stuff down to my new shed when I relinquished the Storage company container and it did go pretty well over the bumps and lumps. The wheels have pnuematic tyres so there is some give in it and I've added a couple of stretch straps to keep things on board. Ruts in fields ... probably need something with caterpillar tracks ....

What about this:

https://m.made-in-china.com/product...Crawler-Power-Barrow-for-Sale-1914447772.html

Nice looking bit of kit Philip but it wouldn't get across the ruts in the fields where my hives are
For that, you need a hive barrow
this one, although a bit flimsy can almost be lifted into the truck with one hand
barrow3.jpg
But this one is only slightly heavier but a lot more robust,
barrow4.jpg
both make moving a hive over a rough field child's play
These fancy hive lifters are all well and good but same as @Newbeeneil says, unless you can drive right up to the hives and the area where the hives are is flat and even, it's going to be a nightmare moving a hive any distance

For that, you need a hive barrow
this one, although a bit flimsy can almost be lifted into the truck with one hand
View attachment 30092
But this one is only slightly heavier but a lot more robust,
View attachment 30093
both make moving a hive over a rough field child's play
These fancy hive lifters are all well and good but same as @Newbeeneil says, unless you can drive right up to the hives and the area where the hives are is flat and even, it's going to be a nightmare moving a hive any distance
I've already got two of those, they have wooden beds which are horizontal when at rest so ideal if you want to move a hive a yard a day as you just put the hive on it and push it a bit further every day without disturbing the bees too much.
One is a single and the other can take two hives but it gets a bit heavy with half a dozen full supers on it!

I've already got two of those, they have wooden beds which are horizontal when at rest so ideal if you want to move a hive a yard a day as you just put the hive on it and push it a bit further every day without disturbing the bees too much.
One is a single and the other can take two hives but it gets a bit heavy with half a dozen full supers on it!
barrow.jpg

Stan and I often move heavy hives.
Two looped ropes going under the hive with a stout pole each side works a treat.
You have the added advantage of not disturbing the bees much over uneven ground.
Of course, it's not such a problem when there is more than one of you, but if you can't find a volunteer it becomes a much trickier prospect on your own.

Latest posts

Back