Deep (Standard) frames in tangential extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would really appreciate your comments

A lot is said on the internet about using the same size frame in all your boxes, and a lot of it makes sense to me. To that extent I am going to trial a colony on Langstroth medium boxes only this season and see how they get on.

It got me thinking about doing the same with a National hive, using a brood box as a super. I was just wondering if anybody had experience in extracting National brood frames (Standard) with a tangential (or radial, maybe I should upgrade in anyway) extractor. I was wondering if the foundation would bend when you spin them.

Many thanks

Well I have spun a few frames out with no problems so far. I wouldn't say use this as conclusive evidence that you can do it all the time though. Like you I am using one hive with just bb's to see how it all works, esp as my hives are now without qe's. Mind you I am quite a big chap and a bb full of honey is quite a weighty thing!

I would get a proper tangential cage if I needed to do it again. My extractor came with adapters but were not a good fit, they were OK for a few frames but even after tying them in they still rattled about.

Mike

"How much is a brood box of honey going to weigh?
50lb?"

you just carry the frames in two nuc boxes instead of the one brood box.

We use brood boxes for supers throughout our whole operation. Our first extractor was tangential and we extracted hundreds if not thousands of frames in this way.

We do now have a radial extractor, which you may get a few blow outs. Have to be careful with the speed.

How much is a brood box of honey going to weigh?50lb?"

Not really a brood box if full of honey?:biggrinjester:

Was going to post after finishing it but something went wrong!

Here is some the rest...

20, 50 and 80, in old money, is a good rough estimate but more if the frames are spread!

I have extracted shallows and extra deeps in my extractor, but never a deep frame as I remember.

The OP might just want to check that their extractor would accept Langstroth frames.

The under-frame space on my machine filled very quickly with only three extra deep frames at a time. Some extractors are type-specific. Mine would accept Langstroth, I think, but the honey space in the machine would not be very great, and probably insufficient for sensible operation.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate your comments

A lot is said on the internet about using the same size frame in all your boxes, and a lot of it makes sense to me. To that extent I am going to trial a colony on Langstroth medium boxes only this season and see how they get on.

It got me thinking about doing the same with a National hive, using a brood box as a super. I was just wondering if anybody had experience in extracting National brood frames (Standard) with a tangential (or radial, maybe I should upgrade in anyway) extractor. I was wondering if the foundation would bend when you spin them.

Many thanks

"How much is a brood box of honey going to weigh?
50lb?"

you just carry the frames in two nuc boxes instead of the one brood box.

it ain't the transport to and from the hive where weightlifting is required - its the regular inspections that will test your muscles!

Another reason for using small frames in crop supers is that (with big frames) there is a much greater likelihood of more frames being unfinished at the end of the season.

There's an awful lot of stuff "on the internet" that is simply nonsense, whether well-intentioned or otherwise. If you really are serious about using one size of box, a smaller one might be a better idea as with Rowse's "Rose" hive.

Many thanks everybody!

I am not too bothered about the lifting, so will probably give it a try and see how we go and offer my National colony a deep box soon.

The medium Langstroth frames are a nice size and it appears to be used extensively in that way, so I'm planning to do a shook swarm from an old Commercial hive that is building lovely into that as a bit of a trial. The combs are old in anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

it ain't the transport to and from the hive where weightlifting is required - its the regular inspections that will test your muscles!

Another reason for using small frames in crop supers is that (with big frames) there is a much greater likelihood of more frames being unfinished at the end of the season.

There's an awful lot of stuff "on the internet" that is simply nonsense, whether well-intentioned or otherwise. If you really are serious about using one size of box, a smaller one might be a better idea as with Rowse's "Rose" hive.

There won't be much difference between weitht of a ply rowse box and a national deep with honey. In fact the rowse may be heavier. A national deep isn't that heavy

Personally I don't have the time to extract deeps. Maybe it's my method but using shallows and a radial extractor seems a lot more efficient compared to tangential and deeps.

Also I don't fancy lifting such a heavy box. The shallows, when full, is enough for me to cart about!

Just my own personal opinion and obviously depends on:-
a) how fit you are
b) how many hives you have
c) how much time you have for extraction!

There won't be much difference between weitht of a ply rowse box and a national deep with honey. In fact the rowse may be heavier.

Tim Rowe developed the Rose System.

Rowse sells honey. :)

Back