Extractor wobble

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Hi all,

I was given one of the Maisemore budget electric extractors last Autumn. It sat in the box until the weekend. I've fully assembled it today and am trialling extraction. Whilst I appreciate not having to turn a handle, it seems to wobble a lot to the point I don't feel happy to ramp up the speed so my extraction is rather slow.

I suspect it is slightly off centre straight from the factory as it wobbled even when unloaded. Loaded, despite being fairly well balanced, I can't turn it beyond about 45% power without it going walkies. However, I've little experience with operating electric extractors.

Those of you with electric extractors, do you find this is normal and would a triangular base with casters likely solve the issue?

Do you find your extractors also wobble when unloaded?

Mine doesn't wobble when not loaded. But I have it mounted on a board with castors for the wobble due to enevitable imbalance - this gets better as honey is extracted from the frames and imbalance reduces.

Mine doesn't wobble when not loaded. But I have it mounted on a board with castors for the wobble due to enevitable imbalance - this gets better as honey is extracted from the frames and imbalance reduces.
Which extractor do you have?

I came to post a similar question, as I used my electric extractor for the first time yesterday and it wanted to waltz around the kitchen.

I have the Lyson 20 frame radial extractor.

The most important thing in an electric radial twist puller is to balance the weight of the frames. This is achieved by classifying the boxes into three categories: full, medium and empty.
You can also install an elastic support at the bottom of the legs that allows the rotation of torsion that causes the unbalanced load.
The issue with the wheels is that your extractor rotates on its vertical axis, reducing the extraction capacity.

Braked or unbraked?
I sometimes brake one of them to stop it wandering too much whilst still able to move a bit.
My castors are fairly large so there's still some movement of a braked castor as it can still turn but not roll when braked.

Braked or unbraked?
Tension and movement are the two complementary mechanisms that allow a body to cope with a force.
In the case of an extractor, the force is induced by the axis of rotation (motor). The honey is extracted as a consequence of the centrifugal force generated, while the support and the extractor suffer tension in their material. If the elements are unbalanced in the plane of rotation, a torsion force is produced that tends to make the extractor rotate. If it has braked wheels, this tension accumulates and causes vibration in the legs. If the wheels are not braked, the extractor will rotate on the vertical axis. For this reason, an elastic is installed at the bottom of the legs, which, by allowing a small displacement, reduces the tension of the legs, damping vibration due to torsion.

Mine is braked by my foot on the board, but the casters pretty much ensure an equal forward and backward wobble, so the extractor doesn’t wander off. My foot on the board ensures I don’t wander off…

Tension and movement are the two complementary mechanisms that allow a body to cope with a force.
In the case of an extractor, the force is induced by the axis of rotation (motor). The honey is extracted as a consequence of the centrifugal force generated, while the support and the extractor suffer tension in their material. If the elements are unbalanced in the plane of rotation, a torsion force is produced that tends to make the extractor rotate. If it has braked wheels, this tension accumulates and causes vibration in the legs. If the wheels are not braked, the extractor will rotate on the vertical axis. For this reason, an elastic is installed at the bottom of the legs, which, by allowing a small displacement, reduces the tension of the legs, damping vibration due to torsion.
What material do you suggest and do you have any photos?

I use castors and place the extractor on top of corrugated carboard. The cardboard sinks withe the weight and the ensuing hollow restricts any movement of the extractor,

What material do you suggest and do you have any photos?
For the simple version with a piece of tire and a pressure screw it will be enough to anchor the foot to the ground. Arrange the piece of tire between the foot (you would have to have an anchor tab) and the ground, make a hole for the screw to go through. See photo of the foot of the extractor.

A somewhat more elaborate version will require
A 3" high rubber block with a 7*7" base. Additionally, a metal bearing somewhat larger than the foot hole pass and a piece of metal rod with a smaller pass.
First weld the bearing and rod on one end so that it goes over the foot hole (an inch will suffice). Embed the bearing from the opposite side in the rubber pad so that the flange of the foot and the pad are the thickness of a sheet of paper.

Attachments

• es_SXXSDYMJ000000001V0_goods_img-v4_honey-extractor-f4.jpg
    es_SXXSDYMJ000000001V0_goods_img-v4_honey-extractor-f4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
I came to post a similar question, as I used my electric extractor for the first time yesterday and it wanted to waltz around the kitchen.

I have the Lyson 20 frame radial extractor.
So have I.
It sits on a platform with three castors and I lock the front ones.

IMG_3199.jpeg

I have braked castors but a badly loaded basket too fast will have them release themselves and the whole rig pursues me around the room until I manage to get it cornered.
Mine is a 12f Konigin which runs absolutely still at top speed when unloaded.
I think something is amiss with that one you have Wilco.
If it's non returnable I'd have the basket out,put on a horizontal spindle and balance it.

I have braked castors but a badly loaded basket too fast will have them release themselves and the whole rig pursues me around the room until I manage to get it cornered.
Mine is a 12f Konigin which runs absolutely still at top speed when unloaded.
I think something is amiss with that one you have Wilco.
If it's non returnable I'd have the basket out,put on a horizontal spindle and balance it.
I had a reply from Maisemore and they said it's fine to use so I'll ask them again about it. Not sure on return situation as I'm not the one who bought it!

Back