Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Hi
Thanks for all the good suggestions re Xmas books. Just wondering what you’re all making to either give as gifts or sell for Xmas? Pls post a pic if you have one

I’ve decided to have a go at hand dipped candles and beeswax wraps, having accumulated a bit of wax in last 2 years. And following an earlier challenge on the forum making Xmas cards.

Here’s some pics of my efforts so far. I took the bee photo for the xmas card in my garden this year and a friend kindly added the hat. Will use as an Avatar here, when we get closer to Xmas - great suggestion from one of the moderators!

Be good to see what you’re making, for inspiration next year.
Elaine

Attachments

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not selling anything. I’ve given up the market stall. Too much work. Daughter and steps are getting wax melts and a burner, candles, honey and cut comb.
I’m not that keen on wax wraps. Not convinced of the hygiene.
I’m doing a roaring trade on a beeswax and essential oil salve I do for radiotherapy burns and that’s free, of course. Making another batch of that this morning.

Last edited:

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
what do you guys and gals use as a release agent for the candle moulds please?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Silicone moulds release themselves but as Emyr. Have used silicone spray.
You have to make sure the candles have really set solid

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I'd like to have a go at Pillar candles Dani, how long would you need to leave say 3" diameter x 5" candles to fully set in a mould? Would overnight be sufficient?

The Poot 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Not selling anything. I’ve given up the market stall. Too much work. Daughter and steps are getting wax melts and a burner, candles, honey and cut comb.
I’m doing a roaring trade on a beeswax and essential oil salve I do for radiotherapy burns and that’s free, of course. Making another batch of that this morning.
Good for you Dani👍

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I'd like to have a go at Pillar candles Dani, how long would you need to leave say 3" diameter x 5" candles to fully set in a mould? Would overnight be sufficient?
Usually half an hour is more than enough for dinner candles, the same for slightly thicker ones, just got to take care removing them from the mould, I then leave them lying flat (horizontally) for another half hour or so, it's the fancy patterned/ornamental ones you have to be careful with.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yes overnight is fine. Or you can stick them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Probably overkill
Emyr is a dab hand at making candles so his advice is probably spot on.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
Thanks for all the good suggestions re Xmas books. Just wondering what you’re all making to either give as gifts or sell for Xmas? Pls post a pic if you have one

I’ve decided to have a go at hand dipped candles and beeswax wraps, having accumulated a bit of wax in last 2 years. And following an earlier challenge on the forum making Xmas cards.

Here’s some pics of my efforts so far. I took the bee photo for the xmas card in my garden this year and a friend kindly added the hat. Will use as an Avatar here, when we get closer to Xmas - great suggestion from one of the moderators!

Be good to see what you’re making, for inspiration next year.
Elaine
The wraps look very professional 😃

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
My 6 candle mould has just arrived from Bee Eqpt, looks tin? its certainly metal does that make a difference?

Susan1 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Some fantastic products on here. Have inspired me to do something with the bit of wax I have managed to gather up.
I made some lip salve last year just to give as presents but worried about selling stuff because of all the rules and regulations. I only have one hive at present anyway so wouldn't have a lot of product. Jars of honey make brilliant gifts for people though.

RJC 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
My partner is a potter; she has made these to turn your (and mine!) honey into gifts, Christmas or otherwise. They are ceramic, and of course can double up as Xmas tree decorations. The smaller is 5.5 cm diameter and the larger 7 cm. Please PM me if interested. The honey comb impression is from a piece of brace comb. RobIMG_2369.jpg

Last edited:

amandaj57 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 + 3 nucs
What a fantastic thing to do.
Would you be prepared to share the recipe, a friend's husband is having skin problems during treatment and if I can help in any way, I would love to as I feel useless to them at the moment.
Thanks

Last edited:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If c
What a fantastic thing to do.
Would you be prepared to share the recipe, a friend's husband is having skin problems during treatment and if I can help in any way, I would love to.
Thanks
Of course. I’ll PM You

Latest posts