Wax foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 Langstroth Foundations in UK, £16, ...I do not know weight.

in Finland £9 = 1 kg, 10 sheets.

Minus 30% = £11

In the recent past there was at least one supplier here in Ireland selling "foundation" which was refused by the bees.
It was sourced in the UK, so caveat emptor.

did it by any chance have the words ease and pet somewhere on the box?

10 Langstroth Foundations in UK, £16, ...I do not know weight.

in Finland £9 = 1 kg, 10 sheets.

Minus 30% = £11

Hmm - two things I can deduct from this post
a) it's a wonder you made a living as a researcher people could take seriously
b) foundation is expensive in Finland

CWJ in Ruthin - ten sheets langstroth deep - £10.30 for ten (and that's pre wired!) ten sheets National wired - £9.00

Maisemore's - about a pound more for each
Thornes - about the same - even their 'premier is way less than £16.00

All in all not much difference in price between here and Finland

Last edited:

I recall purchasing some a few years ago, lovely bright yellow colour and "thicker" than normal foundation, made getting it into frames a lot easier. They only seem do wired now and all my supers are now unwired. It is still a reasonable price for National wired brood, £80 for 100 sheets including postage on fleabay.
Didn't notice my bees having any problems drawing it out.

I got thin foundations last summer. They were difficult to wire.

They were over 15 y old, and bees draw them normally. No heating or other magics.

I got thin foundations last summer. They were difficult to wire.

They were over 15 y old, and bees draw them normally. No heating or other magics.

With National supers, no need to wire or use wired foundation, as long as you have a radial extractor, thin works fine.

I recall purchasing some a few years ago, lovely bright yellow colour and "thicker" than normal foundation, made getting it into frames a lot easier. They only seem do wired now and all my supers are now unwired. It is still a reasonable price for National wired brood, £80 for 100 sheets including postage on fleabay.
Didn't notice my bees having any problems drawing it out.
I got some from there also and it looks/smells and the texture is exactly the same as the stuff from thornes.

Hmm - two things I can deduct from this post
a) it's a wonder you made a living as a researcher people could take seriously

Oh dear..... Am I doing research here?

You really have a nice deducting head. Lovely.
Have you been educated in DDR busybody institute?

Last edited:
Oh dear..... Am I doing research here?

You really have a nice deducting head. Lovely.
Have you been educated in DDR busybody institute?

No, agricultural college - that's how I can tell bullsh!t a hundred yards off

Last edited:

I recall purchasing some a few years ago, lovely bright yellow colour and "thicker" than normal foundation, made getting it into frames a lot easier.

I got some from there also and it looks/smells and the texture is exactly the same as the stuff from thornes.

Not much good speculating, I think we need to wait and here some more details about who is actually selling this contaminated or whatever it is foundation both here and in Ireland from

I recall purchasing some a few years ago, lovely bright yellow colour and "thicker" than normal foundation, made getting it into frames a lot easier.

Not much good speculating, I think we need to wait and hear some more details from Quis Custodiet, about who is actually selling this contaminated or whatever it is foundation for sure, both here and in Ireland, until then it is just unfounded hearsay.

Back