Vandalism.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey. They must have been determined vandals to kick over 18 colonies and and scatter the boxes as shown. Are vandals wearing bee suits these days? They have apparently managed to kill the bees too. Very odd...

Last edited:
Blimey. They must have been determined vandals to kick over 18 colonies and and scatter the boxes as shown. Are vandals wearing bee suits these days? They have apparently managed to kill the bees too. Very odd...

Yes it is odd but the person responsible could have been stung while interfering or such, then went back at night and did it. Or during a rain shower. Where there’s a will there’s a way. Totally mindless pointless vandalism. Perhaps a “new” beekeeper? Such a shame. I wish the perpetrators are caught.

Ah. I spotted this in Facebook. I wondered whether it was our Doug used to post here.

Last edited:
I read the report and this may sound hard but was his total number of hives 18? If so how would he be able to apply to the BFA? The standard was 40 min if I remember rightly?

If a beekeeper cannot replace 18 from 22....well?

Murray was reporting on Twitter last night that an apiary had been vandalised by Perth. Not seen an update yet.

PH

I read the report and this may sound hard but was his total number of hives 18? If so how would he be able to apply to the BFA? The standard was 40 min if I remember rightly?

ONE APIARY!! not his whole stock

I think there would be more sympathy if some of these apiaries actually looked like they had been in use and not just a pile of old boxes, and I am no angel by any stretch. Not suggesting particular instances but am sure people can view. Ian

For those that don't know this part of the world it is very developed here, housing, out of town shopping, school up the road etc. His hives are on a piece of land up a small lane that is relatively quiet and not overlooked, a small piece of countryside between the built up bits, so any miscreants would not be disturbed. I am finding it increasingly difficult to find good sites around here, what may be ideal for the bees for forage often is unsuitable from the security point of view.

I had a quick read of the article and was surprised to read that he had not been to the apiary since Easter...... surely that isn't right?

I had a quick read of the article and was surprised to read that he had not been to the apiary since Easter...... surely that isn't right?

depends on the way you run your colonies. I certainly haven't been inspecting weekly until now, and Easter was only a few weeks ago - Good Friday was the tenth of April.

I think there would be more sympathy if some of these apiaries actually looked like they had been in use and not just a pile of old boxes, and I am no angel by any stretch. Not suggesting particular instances but am sure people can view. Ian

My initial thought was why the surrounding flora appears to have grown around these boxes. So seem to have been there for some time.

My initial thought was why the surrounding flora appears to have grown around these boxes. So seem to have been there for some time.

We just strim and trim behind the hives.... let the nettles and ferns grow in front of the colonies.... future proofing against the inevitable Asian Hornet Pandemic driven chaos as all the Dad's Army AHAT teams are on over 70s lockdown!!!

Hornets can not hawk bees in a tangled thicket!!

Chons da

On a brighter note.
This guy is going to be one of the few that make a big net profit from beekeeping.

Last edited:
We just strim and trim behind the hives.... let the nettles and ferns grow in front of the colonies.... future proofing against the inevitable Asian Hornet Pandemic driven chaos as all the Dad's Army AHAT teams are on over 70s lockdown!!!

Hornets can not hawk bees in a tangled thicket!!

Chons da

I think you entirely missed my point.

yes its dougie pearce who is on here its just one of his many aperies scattered around gofundme is at £8225 now.

With what was probably an optimistic goal of £4,000, I see this appeal has been allowed to roll on way beyond this and has now netted over £10K and is still rising. Surely that would pay for the damaged kit several times over. https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-to-recover-from-vandalism-of-beehives
I have just found out that an elderly relative donated £20 of her limited funds to "Save the poor bees" in her words, and I'm troubled by this.
What do you think about the ethics of this continuing appeal, particularly at at this time of limited incomes and struggling charities?

If a beekeeper cannot replace 18 from 22....well?

Murray was reporting on Twitter last night that an apiary had been vandalised by Perth. Not seen an update yet.

PH

Not according to the lady from the BFA who gave a talk at my association last year, reckoned you could apply with seven hives if you liked.

Latest posts

Back