Asian Hornets...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eh?!!!
you going to retrain honey buzzards or what? :icon_204-2: :banghead:
It would be such a bad idea that since the VV invasion, the number of breeding pairs of Pernis apivorus has increased, consolidating Galicia as a stable base for this species compared to the rest of Spain.
You can try to laugh at me, but nature always finds a way to restore errors.

https://www.farodevigo.es/sociedad/2019/03/31/abejero-liquido-24-500-nidos-15733121.html
That's why it's research, but without a doubt it's best to deny the possibility. It is true that the Galicia does not need to be "trained" but taking into account that it is not such a common species in the United Kingdom, perhaps it is, in any case the ornithology service should issue some contribution in this regard.
In Galicia, it has not been documented that any pernis apivorus has raided a hive or apiary to cannibalize bees.
Ahhh! So not bee-eaters but rather honey buzzards!

How's that going for you in Spain?

Perhaps you should google "honey buzzard + honeycomb". Interesting set of images of honey buzzards carrying away honeycomb.

Not a highly specific method wouldn't you say?

It would be such a bad idea that since the VV invasion, the number of breeding pairs of Pernis apivorus has increased, consolidating Galicia as a stable base for this species compared to the rest of Spain.
You can try to laugh at me, but nature always finds a way to restore errors.
We don't try to laugh at you.

My local club has an AH 'officer' and at the last meeting a week ago he had about 50 boxed up traps with a bottle of lure in each one. 16 quid.
If we get one, we phone him straight away and he comes round.
He keeps bees for a living , so he is very much on the case.
Gardapis.co.uk

Ahhh! So not bee-eaters but rather honey buzzards!

How's that going for you in Spain?

Perhaps you should google "honey buzzard + honeycomb". Interesting set of images of honey buzzards carrying away honeycomb.

Not a highly specific method wouldn't you say?
I repeat, there is no report of a honey buzzard attack on an apiary, another thing is a wild hive (but those have not been eradicated by varroa due to the lack of treatment?), which does not represent an economic loss for a beekeeper; Therefore, in ecological terms it is very effective (it is so effective that the breeding pairs of honey buzzard have grown) so it is expected that an ecological balance will be produced.
This does not imply that prevention and protection measures are not necessary in the apiary, but that is because VV is a naturalized invader. But that is not the British case, if there are no means for many teams, a species that does it naturally at no cost other than its own survival would not be a lower cost ecological solution.
Regarding how it is going, this year thanks to the protection measures I have hardly had any incidence of velutina in the apiary and winter mortality has been reduced to ordinary values.

I repeat, there is no report of a honey buzzard attack on an apiary, another thing is a wild hive (but those have not been eradicated by varroa due to the lack of treatment?), which does not represent an economic loss for a beekeeper; Therefore, in ecological terms it is very effective (it is so effective that the breeding pairs of honey buzzard have grown) so it is expected that an ecological balance will be produced.
This does not imply that prevention and protection measures are not necessary in the apiary, but that is because VV is a naturalized invader. But that is not the British case, if there are no means for many teams, a species that does it naturally at no cost other than its own survival would not be a lower cost ecological solution.
Regarding how it is going, this year thanks to the protection measures I have hardly had any incidence of velutina in the apiary and winter mortality has been reduced to ordinary values.
Why do you think Fian that honey buzzards are such a rare breed in the UK? Do you think it might possibly be because we have a different ecology to what the bird needs to sustain healthier populations? i.e. the UK doesn't have the prey volume to sustain a large enough vespine or wild apis resource for honey buzzards to thrive?

your opinion would be nice - not the usual cut and paste from elsewhere
Sorry, but I don't give an opinion on what I don't know, I prefer to search and let those who know give theirs. If you don't feel like reading it, I'll summarize it for you, the buzzard is a woodland habitat bird, perhaps that's why its migration area is the North Sea coast with some summer settlements in England and Wales.

Sorry, but I don't give an opinion on what I don't know, I prefer to search and let those who know give theirs. If you don't feel like reading it, I'll summarize it for you, the buzzard is a woodland habitat bird, perhaps that's why its migration area is the North Sea coast with some summer settlements in England and Wales.
Well I never!

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpeg
    IMG_1598.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 0
Anyone think this pythonesque?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back