Asian Hornet, the Devon Initiative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trunkles

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello fellow bee keepers..

Although a similar post to this can be found in "Beginners" and in another thread in this forum I realised that it would be more appropriate for this thread starter to run in its own right, so apologies for posting again

Martyn Hocking who was the informant on the Woolacombe Hornets ( it was his hives they were raiding) wrote an article for the bee keeping magazines which makes very interesting reading.

Martyn was somewhat aggrieved by the way he was kept in the dark by NBU et al. Some of us in Devon were nonplussed by the lack of advice and action from the authorities and so we have created a DBKA initiative to set up Asian Hornet Action Teams.

These teams will be manned by well prepared members of local BKAs and we will hope to receive reports of AH (and other misidentified suspects) , go out to locations and help informants Positively identify or rule out AH, get photographic evidence, capture sample insect, and begin the process of triangulating proble nest location.

We are not trying to usurp the function of NBU, NNSS, or local Bee Inspectors but there are just not the numbers of professionals to cope if we get multiple incursions of V.v. We also hope that AHATs will be active in publicizing the threat and educating the general public about the problem and the insect.

We have identified the camping fraternity ( types) as possible vectors for transport of queen V.vs duing the months through from autumn to spring. Campers love riverside and lakeside camping grounds with trees and Asian Hornets. We think individual fertil queens may seek hibernation oportunities in the cosy spaces provided by camping units and gear. As owners come home for the new spring the queen wil fly to found nests i the UK

I for one am putting threads(which have generally been well received) on camping forums) in the hope of getting as many people to appreciate the problem and what to do about it. I am also canvassing ferry ports to see what policies they have to warn about V.v and other Non-Native Insect species at points of departure and arrival.

Just today (7/12/17) I have been told that BBKA and NBU website are seriously out of date regarding Vespa velutina appearances and the entries on the websites reporting these. My colleagues in the DBKA initiative are trying to get the organisations to put things right, but if we do not get up to date information from them we are seriously handicapped as bee keepers in preparing for the onslaught of a major invasion of V.v

Hopefully our initiative will spread as we have an Asian Hornet open meeting arranged in Harberton, Devon, where reps from seen other counties are attending along with reps from all the Bee keeping bodies. Martyn will be a main speaker and hopefully there will be some lively discussion about what can be done and our plans.

If any of you guys and gals can think of anything we should discuss there....please post here.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
http://www.nonnativespecies.org//factsheet/factsheet.cfm?speciesId=1961

Remember the campaign against the importation of the Colorado beetle... managed to stop that little blighter being imported.....????

I do not recall any vigilante groups wandering around every allotment looking for them... but the poster campaign made sure each and everyone knew what they looked like!

Yeghes da

I had forgotten all about the Colorado Beetle campaign......that's just the sort of thing we need , incahopit, Thanks for reminding me. I shall do some research

Last edited:
I suggest you adopt the Mazamazda method as first line response.

You could have a look at what Jersey BKA is doing, they have established a team to assist in tracking and destruction.

I suggest you adopt the Mazamazda method as first line response.

:iagree: as soon as spring founding queens are occupied with continuous laying in nests, its time to just treat individual workers. trophy hunting unless a nest is easily found and accessible, is a waste of resources and time. just treat the workers. job done, quickly and efficiently.

What is the Mazamazda method?

I'm sure he traps the foraging Hornets and gives them a spray with frontline and then releases them, the Hornets then return to the nest and poison the colony within, there's a thread on here somewhere but with that much discussion on Asian Hornets i can not remember which one it is.

I'm sure he traps the foraging Hornets and gives them a spray with frontline and then releases them, the Hornets then return to the nest and poison the colony within, there's a thread on here somewhere but with that much discussion on Asian Hornets i can not remember which one it is.

Well, isn't that strange - my recollection of the method is different, yet we've both read it on here, I thought he stunned them with an electric tennis racket then brushed a mixture of strong sugar syrup and Frontline on them before releasing. No chance of collateral damage to non-target species and the method will probably never get official approval because of the use of Frontline in a non-approved manner.

Somebody will be along in a minute to tell us we're both wrong!

CVB

Last edited:
Well, isn't that strange - my recollection of the method is different, yet we've both read it on here, I thought he stunned them with an electric tennis racket then brushed a mixture of strong sugar syrup and Frontline on them before releasing. No chance of collateral damage to non-target species and the method will probably never get official approval because of the use of Frontline in a non-approved manner.

CVB

Post 3 is the method you mention.. ;) .. i have seen a video somewhere else of someone trapping them and spraying them and then releasing them, i will try to find it.

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40973&highlight=Asian+Hornet

CVB

Post 20 is what i seen but the video has been removed from youtube.

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40973&highlight=Asian+Hornet&page=2

CVB

Correct!

The NBU want nothing to do with it.

It is in the sticky on the main page. The method is far easier than running around looking for nests. Below is a video of what happens here when they are in full swing, this is as you can see with some effort going into catching workers, trapping etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6XN31-TAl4

CVB

We will all just get on with it and get the job done.
No EU regs soon anyway

CVB

Badminton racket?

Yeghes da

Just because some of the previous posts on here might not be entirely clear, here's Mazamazda's method:

I have the method and recipe worked out. I have no VV left so it works. Thanks to a certain someone on here for the help.

Here is the tried and tested method for a kill of around 3-6 hours, the mix goes off after 6 hours.

50g sugar
15ml hot water
1 egg yolk
Frontline (Fipronil) 0.25% w/v fipronil

Mix sugar into hot water, then slowly add water to egg yolk and mix well.

Add 1tsp of mixture to a small receptacle add 10 drops of Frontline (Fipronil) and stir well. Mixture is effective for 6 hours.

Catch Asian hornet with an Executioner Pro, Apply custard to Asian hornet thorax and release. Hornet will come round after a few minutes and fly back to the nest 3-6 hours the hornet dies, depends on how many other hornets it feeds. Ideal if you can catch 5-10 hornets, I have had major success in eliminating all my VV and retaining all native pollinators.

The NBU won't countenance the method because it involves releasing poison laced hornets that might pose a risk to non target species. In my professional opinion I think the NBU are miss guided. I say this because:

a) The method releases far less pesticide into the environment than nest treatments do. If you have ever seen a traditional wasp nest treatment with Ficam you'll know that hundreds if not thousands of wasps laced with pesticide leave the nest to drop randomly within the environment. With the Mazamazda method you only have a handful of hornets released to achieve complete nest kill.

b) If velutina is allowed to become established then the total amount of pesticide that will be used cumulatively in nest treatments will far outstrip that that would be used in the Mazamazda method.

c) The Mazamazda method is a magic bullet, i.e. it finds its own way back to the target so you don't have to. It's really clever because it only allows enough time for the hornet to get back and feed its nest mates and especially the queen, before the poison goes off. Because it's a magic bullet the amount of pesticide used is miniscule. Because it's a magic bullet that can be deployed as soon as hornets start protein feeding it kills nests before they have a chance to generate new queens and that's the real beauty of the system.

You could have a look at what Jersey BKA is doing, they have established a team to assist in tracking and destruction.
'
Thanks for the suggestion , isc26, bu I m way ahead of you. I have been having a conversation with the Chap who devised the Jersey method of tracking and am having a meeting with him after Christmas, as he is travelling back from Truro...... we are going to pick his brains clean :facts:

On the question of the Mazamazda method: the method is probably OK when you are fighting off hornets in an occupied area , like France, when you are attempting to eradicate whole area populations. To stop initial invasion it has to be a policy 'Identify, observe, track and totally destroy' to prevent primary nests converting to the larger secondaries and then producing founder queens for the next year.

We just have to create the observer corps to spot those first workers,and we know they could appear anywhere in the country

'
Thanks for the suggestion , isc26, bu I m way ahead of you. I have been having a conversation with the Chap who devised the Jersey method of tracking and am having a meeting with him after Christmas, as he is travelling back from Truro...... we are going to pick his brains clean :facts:

On the question of the Mazamazda method: the method is probably OK when you are fighting off hornets in an occupied area , like France, when you are attempting to eradicate whole area populations. To stop initial invasion it has to be a policy 'Identify, observe, track and totally destroy' to prevent primary nests converting to the larger secondaries and then producing founder queens for the next year.

We just have to create the observer corps to spot those first workers,and we know they could appear anywhere in the country

Anywhere within a few miles of a timber wharf must be at risk

'

If you think that's like to be realistic when looking for something that may never happen, you don't know human nature. After a month or two of nothing happening, the Observer Corps will go on holiday/watch football/go to the pub/give up as applicable...

Latest posts

Back