Update on Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just passing on a letter from the Sussex BKA Chairman to our bee Inspector.

I have just spent ten days at our house in Lower Normandy which is about 40 miles south of Caen, in the Department of the Orne.

I was somewhat taken aback to discover on our arrival there that we had become host this year to the Asian Hornet ( Vespa Velutina) which has taken a mere 6 years to cover over 600 kilometers from the site where it was first seen in central France in 2004-5. Clearly this rate of expansion could not have come about by newly mated queens' movements as they do not swarm and I have concluded that it is very probable that they have hitched rides in timber, straw and other such goods transported during the winter months each year to reach new areas.

As several thousand lorries use the Caen and le Havre to Portsmouth ferries each year it now seems extremely likely that we will be hosting this insect in Sussex and elsewhere in the UK very much sooner than might have been hoped.

Interestingly having captured several workers over the space of a few days then releasing them some distance away in an open field it became clear from their lines of departure that we might already have more than one nest in the vicinity as against none a year ago. Their presence was easy to identify from the single orange stripe on the abdomen and orange face. They were strongly attracted to a quantity of rotting pears that had fallen from a tree in our orchard, specifically a wild type pear, and they had taken no notice of other more recently fallen fruits nearby. Several dozen workers were around feeding each day from mid morning to evening between 19 Sept when we arrived and 29th when we departed.

They behaved quite aggressively both when caught and when approached by butterflies and the odd V. Crabro. There were no wasps at all working the fruit!

In captivity they became torpid after an hour or so, possibly being under nourished, as it seems they normally get fed by their larvae, who by now were probably absent from the nest.

I failed to find the nest site(s) which is probably just as well but would guess from the return times of marked insects that they were fairly close, perhaps a few hundred metres.

They are quite a bit smaller than V. Crabro workers, around 2/3 the size, and their attitude to V.Crabro's presence depended on there being two or three mates nearby who quickly joined the fray seeing off the larger hornet.( alarm pheromone?)

They chased red admirals and peacocks very closely for 5-10 yards if approached by them and these would not venture back for some time.

I reported my find (with samples) to the local wildlife bureau of the Department who confirmed that this was the first sighting of V. Velutina in Normany but said that the French had given up any thought of control methods and believed a natural balance would establish itself, wrongly thinking that Apis mellifera could already use the 'balling' technique used successfully by Apis cerana.

It seems probable that their aggression will be more of a problem when there is a greater density of colonies leading to more competion for food. At this point I did not feel any danger in approaching them and collecting samples. Their stings are about 3-4 mm long, similar to V Crabro and their articulation of the abdomen together with feet having very effective grasping claws indicate that any insect would quickly be overpowered and that in the case of humans they would not easily be prevented from stinging as they seem very tenacious.

We had temperatures of minus10-15 C there last year and that was clearly no deterrent to the queens surviving

I thought you might be interested in this report from the front line as it seems that we do not have much time to develop counter-measures which in the absence of action by our allies may become very important(plus ca change!). Any thoughts on this from the NBU?

Hi, just to say down here in the Haute Vienne they are widely seen. At the 'Bee School' on Saturday in Limoges, they are extensive.
Their attack form seems to be literally to have 2 or 3 hovering in front of the entrance of the hive. As the bees fly in and out, they take them in mid air - usually to a tree where they behead the bee. The bee defence seems to be grouping up on the entrance board and working together to try and get in and out around the hornets.
The wasp/hornet traps put up around the hives were literally crammed full with dead hornets - the stuff they use there does not attract bees.
We have them all over our neighbours fig trees - they can't even cut the grass around the trees as they attack very quickly, unlike the European Hornet, which seems to be a bit more dopey. The Asian Hornet is a nasty piece of work!

The wasp/hornet traps put up around the hives were literally crammed full with dead hornets - the stuff they use there does not attract bees.
Do tell us more on those traps ...

We have them all over our neighbours fig trees - they can't even cut the grass around the trees as they attack very quickly, unlike the European Hornet, which seems to be a bit more dopey. The Asian Hornet is a nasty piece of work!
Hopefully if they are recognised as a public health problem, it won't only be beekeepers trying to combat them.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to get ahead of the game and start organizing a trap offensive for next year. Local councils have the money and authority to cover this type of work (Even in these cash strapped times). I would urge members to lobby now at council and MP level for this. I would guess that here in the south east we are front line for this unwelcome visitor, so I will be doing what I can through the above route.

Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't seen them yet around my area of Haute Normandy and the traps have been out all year. Have had success in keeping V Crabro numbers down this year so have actually enjoyed more of the pears this year!

The recommendation I have seen in the French Bee press for trap bait is to use the water out of the wax extraction process where the wax has had some residue of honey left in that has fermented and it is the smell of wax and fermented honey that attracts the hornets and the fermented honey that deters the bees.

Otherwise have used the standard sugar syrup/vinegar/banana skin, but that brings in tons of other insects as well as the hornets.

"Their presence was easy to identify from the single orange stripe on the abdomen and orange face"

Surprised at your description of the differentiation with Crabro. I thought that the major difference in colouration was the black rather than redy-brown first segment of the abdomen and the black rather than redy-brown thorax.

But then I haven't seen them alive yet, only dead specimens.

Last edited:
Please do take the time to look again at our site for a simple, basic factual outline.

Asian Hornet

European Hornet

Yes they reached the north of France this year but I doubt very much that they were transported by anything other than their own flight, they are spread over too large an area in Brittany / Normandy and all points in between and their spread has been rapid from the start. If you consider the hundreds of miles that butterflies and moths travel in migration it's clear that dispersing Queens would easily travel a couple of hundred miles on a following air stream WHICH OF COURSE makes crossing the channel a piece of cake just as it is for painted lady butterflies.

There is some evidence this year that they are starting to make their nests lower down in hedgerows, (principally Tarn et Garrone where populations are very dense), this will make finding nests and destroying them easier.

I have to disagree about their aggression, I find them much the same as Europeans and have yet to encounter any angry ones, perhaps it depends on circumstances. For example last Sunday I received a dozen or so wasp stings BUT only because I accidentally put my brush cutter into their nest, normally wasps just fly round me. Most people that are sting by hornets of either species have done something to upset them.

Best means of control - kill queens in autumn and spring, destroy nests.

Chris

Itma - the traps are a branded thing, like a plastic cup with a lid -like a roof, all suspended from the trees in front of the hives.
They pour a small measured amount of the tea-coloured liquid into the plastic cup already two-thirds full of water. Lid goes on, pot shaken and then hung in trees. This stuff is so good, as the bloke was doing the traps, the hornest were coming in to try and drink from the cups before the lids went on. All we saw of the name was Vetpharm?
It's a large bottle with a measured pourer built into the bottle. Will get some more info at next meet.

The Asian hornets in my garden seem to have gorn; I've not seen a single one for several weeks. They seemed to lose interest in my hive in favour of the autumn raspberries - not on the berries, but going for the flowers along with other species, thus aiding pollination. After the flowers slowed down, the Asian hornets departed.

When I first realised what they were, earlier this year, I was very worried for my bees. However, they did not seem to take many, and they were never ever aggressive when I was picking raspberries right amongst them.
The European hornets, meanwhile, are still here and going for the figs. They are not at all aggressive to me either. They only seem to chase away the Red Admirals which would also like a share of the figs.

I agree with Chris Luck on this one.

Here they are still taking bees and are all over fallen fruit and grapes - makes them easier to tread on.;)

It may also be useful to read this from la revue Insectes, n°159. about the impact on other species caused by the traps.

http://www.inra.fr/opie-insectes/pdf//159haxaire-villemant.pdf

Sorry it's in French, I keep telling them to speak English but it's taking a while to get through.

Photo here, (just arrived), of a nest I'm going to look at and hopefully destroy, snag is it's a bit high.

Chris

Click - click - click - Run away!

Ok - my wildlife photography career is still on hold: but I thought I would attempt to record one of the (thankfully - so far) irregular asian hornet attacks on my hive in the Dordoge.

The Hornet is blurred - it was chasing bees and even 1/500th wouldn't stop it!My (Asian brand) camera won't do 1/1000th in macro mode :rolleyes:

In the first picture just under the hornet is a bee it has caught - which managed to escape. In photo 2 it is right at the bottom having flown around me and going for another pass of the entrance. You can see they are clearly orange compared to a European Hornet. A guard shot out and pinged it (and bounced off) which must have annoyed the Hornet - as in photo 3 it is heading for the camera... and me!:eek:

I bravely ran away at this point.

Chris,
Our Mayor has agreed to engage the Chasse to destroy any Asian hornet nests found.
3 Chasse members with shotguns - a case of 1,2,3,fire then run like "L"

Messy but effective:) Perhaps your Mayor could deal with your nest the same way:leaving:

Mike

What bothers me about that Mike is that at this time of year it would seem probable that all that is achieved is to spread fertilised queens around a bit sooner than normal, which would be say perhaps 3 weeks from now AND to have a load of grumpy hornets in a garden that isn't mine.:eek:

I'm considering flaming arrows, just going to have a word with an archer I know as it turns out the colony is at about 40 feet high in old money which is just too far for me, half that I could manage.

Chris

fire arrows are very difficult to fire with any accuracy, mind you many archers say that about my normal arrows also :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back